Limbing saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What is your favorite limbing saw? What bar and chain do you run? What types of wood do you cut?

MS 440 Mag, 20" bar, Stihl full chisel 3/8 x .050

That may change if I ever get my box-o-parts to produce a complete saw! :hmm3grin2orange:

Fred

036s
Hardwoods, Locust, Walnut, Maple, Elm, etc..
Whatever chain Bailey's has on clearance, semi-chisel mostly.
.325x8x18" , .325x9x16-18"

Currently have 3/8 on the 036s but will switch back to .325 soon enough.

It has been the MS361 with 15" bar and 3/8x8, 36RSC chain, but the NE346xp will probably be a serious competitor in the future, probably with .325x8 and 21LP/25RSC.......
:biggrinbounce2:

No real surprises here, holding on to the image:

The winner is: Jonsered 2147, 13" original EM Pixel bar (which is same as Oregon Pro-Lite in NK), and S30 chain (which is .325NK, same as Oregon 95VP) - it's simpy put as stock as they come. When done with this bar I have a new similar 13" bar but in non-NK with 21BP chains waiting to be tried out, but I'm not seeing longer bars in any kind of near future...

Cutting mostly spruce, some birch, aspen and the occasional pine.

The 250 with 14" Stihl bar and 25RMC works decent for limbing too, but the faster acceleration of the 2147 makes it both better for the application and more fun to use. None of the letters C, B and E, neither a dash, adds anything positive to this kind of use, and is primarily why I've changed my mind on those features since I bought the saw - it gets a bit unnecessary bulky compared to the 2147...

When I get the 026 back in working order It'll be fun to see how it compares. I doubt it will make me happier then the 2147, but It'll be fun to try it out.

Last edited:
When I'm limbing, its wading through a hardwood already on the ground. Since I'm cutting firewood, I like a lightweight saw that I can extend and swing repeatedly without wearing me out.:chainsaw: For the small stuff its the Echo 3450/345/346, larger than 6" I generally use a Makita DCS401 or Craftsman 42cc :heart: Ugly Betty:heart:. These are all running 14'-16" bars and 91 series chain.

It used to be my stihl 044 when all I had to chose from was that and the 066. Now that I have the 260 I will use that for anything up to 6-8"

I might sound like a wimp compared to others but that 044 kicks the crap out of me after a hour of cutting where I could cut most of the day with the 260

Chris

Oh... I forgot to add what I cut.

I cut oak, elm, hickory, sycamore, hackberry, mulberry, oak. " you said oak twice..... I like oak..."

(insert movie reference above)

Fred

Back