List of Pro Saw Models - References

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those poxy little 445s go ok. Plenty grunt for a homeowner or even a casual firewood guy. Once you hand him a proper saw he will be ruined however.

Careful with the 268 there's two 268s the homeowner/prosumer/ farmer 268 is effectively a 61. It moved through the times borrowing whatever case was being made basically. Now I'd call the 61 66 or 268 non xp a true "pro sumer". It's got an open port top end which is cheaper to produce and can be passed on to the consumer. The saw construction however is every bit as durable and professionally built as the pro saws on same chassis

Craftsman used a lot of poulan stuff and the 5200 being 1 model and that's certainly a pro saw
Very valid & correct points Jethro , well stated brother !

Curious where the poulan 4000 fits in.
View attachment 1031273View attachment 1031274
Rim sproket. Chain brake available. Mag cased 64cc. Yes open port. The 3400 definitely aimed at the homeowner the 3700 hmmm dunno.

The 4000 is a lovely saw to run. The open port saws tend to have a big fat wide midrange powerband vs the more peaky higher chain speed closed port saws of same era. Against my 162se and 266xp the huskies definitely got it 20 inch bar buried but.... the 4000 pulls a 24 buried much better it has the grunt in the middle. Also the poulan can pull a more aggressive chain. If I set it up for a 20 with a chain to suit its power the difference would be minimal.

I'd love to include a few Poulan saws in a Poulan table on my "pro saws" list if I could find verifiable information about any of them. I know the ACRES site has a bit, but ...not sure all the features.

Well, the pro saws list is growing a bit. I added a few, removed a few. Thanks for the help and insight into manufacturing and design features present in good saws.

Closed transfer ports...metal housings to support bearings, etc.

What about piston connecting rods? I know in cars and trucks there is a debate about sintered metal rods, forged rods, cast or machined maybe? Any differences there to look out for?

Do all good saws have plating in the bores?
Do most crappy saws have plating in the cylinder bores?
Tillotson Carbs vs Walbro vs Other?

No objections to the saw list lately?
No additions?

(Pro Saw List link in my signature)

Well, the pro saws list is growing a bit. I added a few, removed a few. Thanks for the help and insight into manufacturing and design features present in good saws.

What about piston connecting rods? I know in cars and trucks there is a debate about sintered metal rods, forged rods, cast or machined maybe? Any differences there to look out for?

No additions?

So just who is meant to be compiling this "list"?

No additions?

Update : Husquarna 346 xp had two saws Nate . The original model OE (original edition) was a smaller bore 45 or 48 mm bore the 2nd Edition was NE ( new edition) was a 50 mm bore true 50 c.c. Class saw . Also the 576 xp is still not listed . Within the Stihl line up the original MS260 , MS360 & MS600 are missing . I have not had time to review the Shindawia or Jonsered list yet . Although the Shin 488 was a very capable 50 c.c. Class saw , Johnsered has pretty well a carbon copy of every Xp also in their line up . Your work is paying dividends , looks good . As for rod or piston or even cylinder wall composition Nikosil & carbon rings vs chrome plated rings or bores , although better really came into play within new technology . They all were current during their era within professional grade saws . Same with carburators , Tillotson , Keihien & Walbro all manufactured quality carb versions on various Pro grade saws over the last 70+ yrs . Anyhow , just my observations from my personal experience , not etched in stone brother !

The Echo 7310 is by their literature bragging; 'Our first professional saw' in their lineup.

Was never really competition between Nikasil or chrome plated cylinders. It was a question of cost per unit by their subcontractors making the cylinders. Both were good cylinder plates to own/run. When ported direct drive saws came out, the two processes had a lot to be desired as far as quality from saw to saw. That's why replacement pistons from the factory could be at least three different sizes; 'A', 'B', 'C' etc. Because the boring was that inconsistent, yes. Once they had enough yrs at it, replacement pistons all became the same size. Then came the bean counters and whatever it is they do with new saws today.

Kevin

Been reading this thread trough. From engineering point of view the difference between pro and homeowner saws is in my opinion heat dissipation. I guess a logger uses a lot more gas per hour than homeowner, even with same HP range saws, burning gas creates heat which you have to get rid of. Eventually crankcase temperature will rise to certain level which saw must be able to handle.
Being clamshell or split case has very little to do in that IMO, it is materials thermal conductivity which has big role.
I would guess that clamshell which has its lower part made of plastic does not use saw ”frame” for heat dissipation.
On the contrary same structure but lower part made of magnesium or whatever the situation is totally different.
So if I had to draw a line between a pro and homeowner saws it would material used which makes the difference.
Hopefully readers get my point. English is not my first language and Finnish - well, is a bit different.

Good point. In general, the metal parts will heat up, and be unable to dissipate the heat through the more insulative plastic.
I am not sure the full ramifications.

One other point to consider with pro saws is that they are designed to be serviced and kept, not thrown away.

Many low-end gas saws I consider disposable because the labor and parts costs to repair them make it impractical to fix them.

Many don't consider this in the overall cost of a saw.

Well, here price of 592xp is 1650€ EURO (1727$). Hsl quotes 300$ for oem cylinder kit. Bearings and seals etc. max 100$.
Easiest 1000$ ever for half a days work.
Aquired knowhow has for sure certain price but generally speaking these chainsaws are not rocket science.

Few years ago I did a few 562xp rebuilds. 2 from failed bearings, one was just low on compression. The first one I did, I got bearing (and ended up buying the tool kit for splitting the case and removal and install of the bearings, can't use a normal case splitter on them.) The bearings were over $100.00, actually the pto side was $98.00 by itself. Can't remember what the tools cost, wasn't cheap, but nessisary for splitting the case. The bearings I could have gotten out by other means, but it was included in the kit. Till I got a gasket kit and new top end, replaced the fuel lines and few other knick knacks, I was over $300 into a $680.00 saw without any labor. The second one I found out it was just cheaper to replace the case with a new oem. They were cheaper then just seals bearings and replacing the stuffer. Still needed a new top end as it had bearing failure and just wreacked everything internally. The last one got bearings as power for the course and new piston and ring. It wasn't Nearly worth rebuilding either. I do this as a side gig, so I don't charge much for labor. Still too much for a basic rebuild.
Did an 056 for my cousin last year, started out as a pile of parts in a box. Till a good ignition module was found, piston, gaskets, bearings, seals, fuel lines, intake boot and carb kit add in a few hours of labor I was still $600 deep into it. Just not worth it of it isn't in need of a basic top end refresh.

Latest posts

Back