Log arch V2.0

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should drill a hole and run your wiring through the tube frame back to the winch... that way you'll reduce the chance of damaging the wires

oh no!

Actually, it is light enough that you could just put it on your roof. People would think that you are headed to the harness track, but that you race really small horses!

Philbert

my kids on craigslist right now trying to trade my skills for a horse i might be tiling a bathroom for a pony

So Nuzzy, you lift the back part of the log with the winch, instead of using the tope tube as a lever?

How do you lift the front part of the log to wrap the chain around it?

I lift at the middle of the log (weight wise) and then hook the back chain as near to the winch cable as possible. The idea is to get the center of mass directly over the arch wheels so that very little is on the tongue. The front chain has VERY little weight and is merely to keep the log from swaying outwards where it could catch on something. With the log weight over the arch wheels, one could actually lift the tongue by hand; this is what allows the towing vehicle to get by with being light duty, like a quad, and doesn't excessively unweight the front wheels.

That looks like it works pretty sweet. Nice job! Did you notice any excess flexing in the areas that we were concerned about?

I didn't, but more testing will certainly be done! :chainsawguy:

You should drill a hole and run your wiring through the tube frame back to the winch... that way you'll reduce the chance of damaging the wires

Excellent idea! I did have to twist the wires around today so that they stayed away from the log area. Running them through the tube (while possibly causing an entrance for water i suppose) would certainly keep them safe from damage. :cheers:

Nuzz,

If ya do drill for running wires, just inject half a tube of Gorilla snot to block any water travel and isolate the wires from movement.

If ya don't want to go that route, a length of old Garden hose makes for darn good wire armor...uglier than hell though.

It's looking really good.

Did you weld on a slotted Tab for the forward chain mount?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Did you weld on a slotted Tab for the forward chain mount?

There are currently two welded on chain hanger tabs. The back one is part of the winch plate gusset and the front is prolly 1/2 to 2/3rds forward along the top tube for securing the leading end of the log. Man, I can't say enough about those slotted chain hangers. Such a simple idea (I saw a pic of another log arch online and copied the idea) that makes the chain work so much quicker :clap:

I do want to shorten my winch cable though. Considering that a winch loses 5-10% or so of capacity for every additional layer of wrap around the drum, I can tell the winch is grunting from always pulling with a full spool. No sense struggling with 30' of line when you only need 10' and can get more power doing so :chainsaw:

Don't shorten the cable any more than necessary. The long cable is useful, quite often, as in not be able to get over the log with the arch. You could mount a second winch later if you need it. I'm liking this idea... for my Log-rite. How did you cut the chain holder out? It's nice and clean, and I could really use one of those on the front of my arch. Also, if you loop under the log and hook to the arch with the winch cable the winch will work 1/2 as hard compared to choking the log. Doing this however, causes the front of the log to swing sideways because there are two anchor points instead of one. That is why the chain holder on the front is so nice on yours. Nose the log around and snug it off. No rope knots, no come-a-long, one hand, done.

How did you cut the chain holder out? It's nice and clean, and I could really use one of those on the front of my arch.

CAD and then cut it out on the plasma table at work. I'd be more than happy to cut ya one and send it for the cost of postage. :cheers:

Also, if you loop under the log and hook to the arch with the winch cable the winch will work 1/2 as hard compared to choking the log. Doing this however, causes the front of the log to swing sideways because there are two anchor points instead of one. That is why the chain holder on the front is so nice on yours. Nose the log around and snug it off. No rope knots, no come-a-long, one hand, done.

Yep, that was my goal with the holes for shackles. If the log is heavier, I hook to the shackle, like how LogRite provides both attaching options. Even so, the harbor freight "3000lb" winch does struggle a bit with a fully wrapped spool. I should really fix the solenoids on my Warn atv winch and see how it fares in the same setup...

You don't have to worry about the wire holes and water if you drill them on the bottom side. Make sure to use some sort of grommet to protect the wire from chafing on the tube. You could drill some drain holes (1/8") at the low points of the tubing if water was a concern. I've seen aluminum extrusion "A" pillars on walk-in trucks (Fed-Ex/UPS) split apart because they were holding water and everthing froze.....

I'd love one of the chain slots even if the pretty blue paint gets messed up welding it. Practicality over looks anyday, and what I'm doing now is a pain considering what a great tool archs are. I'm going to have to pay someone to weld it, might as well be you. If your up for it I'll tow it over.

I'd love one of the chain slots even if the pretty blue paint gets messed up welding it. Practicality over looks anyday, and what I'm doing now is a pain considering what a great tool archs are. I'm going to have to pay someone to weld it, might as well be you. If your up for it I'll tow it over.

Are LogRite arches made from steel or aluminum?

They are made of steel and quite heavy. I wish I could post pics. Tried several times while it was raining this past weekend. Margaret was gone all weekend and took her Mac lap top. I'll keep trying. Having trouble reformatting the size to 640x480. Anyway, being heavy, and the handles being rather far apart, adds to the awkwardness of picking it up AND stepping over a log of any height and width. I usually set a tire on top, reposition myself straddling the log and re-lifting. If you ever build one with a hand winch you will need to look for two things. (1) a two speed, and more important (2) a brake lever built into the winch. Which mine has, but I went to release it without the brake in the woods to reposition... Yow! Handle slipped, whacked my left palm at the base of my thumb, and come around and whacked my right wrist, kind of a ricochet. My brain went numb. For five minutes I stood there holding my wrists up by my shoulders, couldn't of put them down if I wanted to, and when that wore off, it really, really began to hurt. My first thought was, I'm in the woods with a quad, two saws, two busted wrists and I can't drive. I can't drive, and what, leave everything in the woods and walk? Damn I felt stupid. I sat there a long time, and by dumb luck nothing was broke. To answer your question, the top tube is 2" x (.25?) receiver tube with flat stock weld to it to truss it.

Looks good Nuzzy. I built mine last winter and have not looked back. They are great tools. I would definately suggest putting a handle of some sort on them. I did not because when I built it I didn't think I would be lifting it all that often, but it is alot easier to lift it over the log than get backed up over it when you are in a tight spot. I alos put several of the chain locks all along the top and back rails. I have it hooked up to the pickup here, that was just to get it to the timber after I was done painting it. I use an atv to haul the logs to my bucking area. Good luck with them, looks like a good unit.

logarch.jpg

Latest posts

Back