Log arch V2.0

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, whats that thing there attached to the back of the tractor,
RIGHT UNDER THE FISKARS SS ????

Are you referring to my multi mount hitch?

I made it one night in the shop to accommodate a few different towing options. I have ball mounts, a way to hook up a lunette eye, and a few other things that use what amounts to receiver stock so I can pin them in place at varying heights. Any heavy towing is best done attaching below the axle center line to avoid going over backwards, but for light moving around of trailers and such I can simply raise the ball to any height.

Photo0124Medium.jpg

Photo0123Medium.jpg

Photo0121Medium.jpg

I also built my "stuff box" to sit atop so I can carry everything I need into the woods along with the arch.

DSC09375Medium.jpg

DSC09370Medium.jpg

Some of my stuff is pretty ugly and/or crazy, but at least it makes my life easier :clap:

thats a nice looking arch, is it me or are the tires bowed outward?

Nuzzy, that design looks way cleaner than the old one. i like it!

I don't think the wheels are bowing. The load is 9' of red oad, 1560 lbs approx., and I've had a 12' beach at 1700 plus. The arch is rated at 2000, that's why I cut the oak shorter. At 12' it would have been 2500 lbs.

Are you referring to my multi mount hitch?

I made it one night in the shop to accommodate a few different towing options. I have ball mounts, a way to hook up a lunette eye, and a few other things that use what amounts to receiver stock so I can pin them in place at varying heights. Any heavy towing is best done attaching below the axle center line to avoid going over backwards, but for light moving around of trailers and such I can simply raise the ball to any height.

Photo0124Medium.jpg

Well, no, I just hinted at the way we members here revere the Fiskars SS.
You, know, jokingly suggesting the Fiskars steals the show from that coool log arch you made.
But to say the truth I was actually wondering about that hitch - now I know what it is...
man, do I envy you for your skill.
cool stuff you make there!

:cheers:

SA

Well, no, I just hinted at the way we members here revere the Fiskars SS.
You, know, jokingly suggesting the Fiskars steals the show from that coool log arch you made.
But to say the truth I was actually wondering about that hitch - now I know what it is...
man, do I envy you for your skill.
cool stuff you make there!

:cheers:

SA

:laugh::laugh: Ah ha, gotcha! That makes more sense :D

Yeah, the Fiskars does still rightfully steal the show though! Good piece of equipment, that!

would you consider a kit that one could weld together themselves? i imagine this could cut the cost even more and drop a ton of your labor.

would you consider a kit that one could weld together themselves? i imagine this could cut the cost even more and drop a ton of your labor.

Truthfully, the labor is the only part I would be making any money on. :popcorn:

It's also work I enjoy! Not saying something couldn't be worked out, but I'd think someone with the access to a welder and some cutting tools would just skip me and order parts right through eTrailer or some such; grab some box tube and go to town :chainsaw:

that was my plan but i like the more professional look of the bent tubes and laser cut pieces which is something that i dont have access to at home.

Nice :clap: I WISH I had a tractor that size to play with :( :bowdown:

One day...

Lotsa good old Iron coming available cheap all of a sudden, but you would then just chain on and skid, instead of fabricating cool Gizmos.

We sorta LIKE having you Tractorless.:D

Holler when ya get some scratch up.
There's been a BUNCH of good 20-40hp morsels coming out of the woodwork lately, and going for 2k or less.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The neighbor wielded the chain cleat I got from you to the Log Rite arch. What a simple improvement. Now if I had remote steering on it to get around trees better, that would be something! Thanks, using a chain is much simpler than what I was doing.

anybody no why i cant see any of the pictures of this thing?? it happens quite a bit where it seems as is yall are commenting on some pics but i cant see anything. unless there is a link at the bottom of the post

The neighbor wielded the chain cleat I got from you to the Log Rite arch. What a simple improvement. Now if I had remote steering on it to get around trees better, that would be something! Thanks, using a chain is much simpler than what I was doing.

Excellent! Glad it worked out well. Was certainly nice meeting you and chatting for a while; always a good time talking with fellow wood enthusiasts :cheers:

anybody no why i cant see any of the pictures of this thing?? it happens quite a bit where it seems as is yall are commenting on some pics but i cant see anything. unless there is a link at the bottom of the post

Do you have photobucket blocked, or does your work computer automatically block it? I post all pics through photobucket instead of uploading through AS.

log arch

Nuzzy Your pics show some great welding. Being I used to be a welder I always look at the
quality of welds and I am very impressed. NICE WORK!

The picture in post #55 is of a Log-Rite 'Fetching' arch. It is a modular system and that is probably the only reason for the forward position of the winch. Overall weight on a small arch is a consideration, allowing the lifting and placing of the arch over a log when backing over one is awkward. The winch is mounted on the tongue section, which also has the female part of the hitch. That all comes off, including the cable, and a ring slides in the top tube receiver. It is used to 'fetch' logs up a hill using a winch. The cable is replaced with tongs for 'fetching'. With Log-Rites' Fetching arch all weight is held by the winch when traveling. One guy wrote he snagged a log while traveling and trashed the winch. Chain slots on the rear, as many have shown pictures of on home built rigs, allow the winch to be unloaded. Hope this helps. I have been using the arch this week, working on next years wood, and love it.

you guys notice any difference between the front or rear mounted winch?

I don't know that it matters much. On my first arch, the winch was towards the hitch and I feel it contributed towards the bending of my top tube; though I think that was more to do with how high it sat.

Nuzzy Your pics show some great welding. Being I used to be a welder I always look at the
quality of welds and I am very impressed. NICE WORK!

I appreciate that! I feel I'm still learning everyday I weld. :msp_cool:

Back