Log arch V2.0

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful Workmanship

I like to look at logging helpers that have been designed by a creative mind. The fabrication and welds look absolutely superb. I can weld but I can't even compare my welds to yours.

Nosmo

Nuzzy Your pics show some great welding. Being I used to be a welder I always look at the quality of welds and I am very impressed. NICE WORK!

Yeah, ain't that the truth. I've worked a couple different stints as a welder and notice the quality of the welds first off whenever I look at something. I ain't no slouch with a welder, but... I wish my welds looked as good as yours do Nuzzy. That is some classy work.

I have an excuse though, 'cause out here in the sticks, I'm normally working with rusty ol' stuff, pieces of scrap, or whatever is handy and laying around. That's an excuse, right?

Not to take this off-topic but…
Y’all are talking the difficulty of backing the arch over the log, or about handles and whatnot to get the arch positioned over the log, which is a good Idea. But have y’all thought about putting a second hitch/ball on the front of your tractor/ATV? It could be something light duty, or easily removable, ‘cause you’d normally just use it for positioning the arch. I had one on the front of my little tractor for years… man it’s a breeze backing a trailer into a tight spot… I mean a really tight spot. I took it off last fall when I mounted a winch, and I’ve missed it several times… need to get that welder fired up and do some modifications so I can have both.

I have an excuse though, 'cause out here in the sticks, I'm normally working with rusty ol' stuff, pieces of scrap, or whatever is handy and laying around. That's an excuse, right?

Of course it is. :D I get spoiled working with clean, fresh metal all the time! Trying make things look nice and hold strong on old rusty, pitted and pocked vehicle frames is much less fun when I have to do it.

Y’all are talking the difficulty of backing the arch over the log, or about handles and whatnot to get the arch positioned over the log, which is a good Idea. But have y’all thought about putting a second hitch/ball on the front of your tractor/ATV? It could be something light duty, or easily removable, ‘cause you’d normally just use it for positioning the arch. I had one on the front of my little tractor for years… man it’s a breeze backing a trailer into a tight spot… I mean a really tight spot. I took it off last fall when I mounted a winch, and I’ve missed it several times… need to get that welder fired up and do some modifications so I can have both.

I was thinking about that too... what if you had a couple small/solid wheels (5-6" mower wheels) on one side of the arch and you could position it by hand next to the log while using the small side wheels, then just roll it over the log onto the main wheels. It could be facilitated by a couple well placed hand holds to help w/the leverage if your arch is heavy.

My front bumper on my tractor is up for a rebuild and I'm going to incorporate a front receiver hitch and be able to switch from a trailer ball to a small ATV winch. I've got one on my truck and love it.

LOL!!
Been considering doing the same thing to our Quad. Mostly for moving the splitter around.

Ya get it done, post it up!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yeah, ain't that the truth. I've worked a couple different stints as a welder and notice the quality of the welds first off whenever I look at something. I ain't no slouch with a welder, but... I wish my welds looked as good as yours do Nuzzy. That is some classy work.

Sure nuff. I do a lot of repair work for the local farming, logging and construction communities around here, that's where my screen name "junkfxr" comes from. Most everybody doesn't care what the welding looks like as long as the equipment works again. Like Nuzzy said, it ain't easy getting a good weld to look good on old, rusty, pocked up, oil filled, grease coated metal, especially while standing on your head in the rain.

Just figured I'd throw this out there for anyone local (Southwest Michigan); I'm probably looking to sell one or both of my log arches. They've both been sitting since I primarily use the dump bed Dodge now. Figure I can always make another in the future :msp_razz: PM me if interested. Would love to share the log arch love in the AS community. :cheers:

Just figured I'd throw this out there for anyone local (Southwest Michigan); I'm probably looking to sell one or both of my log arches. They've both been sitting since I primarily use the dump bed Dodge now. Figure I can always make another in the future :msp_razz: PM me if interested. Would love to share the log arch love in the AS community. :cheers:

Those are great looking arches. If I had any land where I could justify using one, it would be worth the drive to come pick one up! Don't rule out making them as a side business.

Philbert

Very nice work you did on that unit.. If your wanting to sell em i would toss a add in the local paper.. Those should sell fast...

Just joined because I was searching about log arches. I think you guys have the best ideas by far during my searches.

In haste, I made a log arch from a weight workout station and surprisingly it worked pretty well. At that time, I had just a measly Sears lawn mower and just a chain saw when I needed to clear out some felled trees so I could build a shop. In the near future, I plan to build a logging arch by incorporating many ideas I've seen!

Hope I'm not resurrecting this thread unnecessarily. :msp_unsure:

Just joined because I was searching about log arches. I think you guys have the best ideas by far during my searches.

In haste, I made a log arch from a weight workout station and surprisingly it worked pretty well. At that time, I had just a measly Sears lawn mower and just a chain saw when I needed to clear out some felled trees so I could build a shop. In the near future, I plan to build a logging arch by incorporating many ideas I've seen!

Hope I'm not resurrecting this thread unnecessarily. :msp_unsure:

Welcome to the site and thanks for resurrecting it as I hadn't seen it yet! Some good stuff here and I'd be interested if the OP sold either or both, or even ended up making more. I'm not in the market, but am just curious how the project progressed, or if it died after the first two.

Still around OP?

Back