Log Splitter Recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you've got the $$$ budget ..... I'd spring for a high end splitter like Timberwolf, American, Iron & Oak, etc.

otherwise I'd go for Speeco 35 ton or Northern 37 ton. both get great reviews and offer max bang for $$$!!!

don't even think about getting a horizontal only splitter without a lift and table :censored:

35 ton speeco here, will smash through anything, slow cycle times... probably will get a TW-5 for my next splitter. when the right deal comes up of course....

if you've got the $$$ budget ..... I'd spring for a high end splitter like Timberwolf, American, Iron & Oak, etc.

otherwise I'd go for Speeco 35 ton or Northern 37 ton. both get great reviews and offer max bang for $$$!!!

don't even think about getting a horizontal only splitter without a lift and table :censored:

35 ton speeco here, will smash through anything, slow cycle times... probably will get a TW-5 for my next splitter. when the right deal comes up of course....

I actually like the horizontal only ones, but a lift would have to be available. I had not thought about Timberwolf and will take a look at them. I would rather wait until I have the money and get the best available splitter, as long as it is not to much $$.

timberwolf TW-5 with lift and table is pushing $7k

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/splitters/tw5/tw5.htm

tw5.jpg

There'a a lot to consider.

Engineeredlawns
From a quality standpoint, both Timberwolf and American as well as Iron and Oak are all "top notch" splitters. Speeco, Huskee and Northern Tool offer great value and performance for the buck.
But I think the choice of what splitter to buy and how to equip it really comes down to FOUR AREAS OF CONSIDERATION: 1. WHAT are you splitting - size of rounds and species, 2.WHY are you splitting - for resale, for your own use, for fireplace use, or OWB, 3.WHERE are you splitting - taking the splitter to the wood or thaking the wood to the splitter and 4.WHAT'S THE COST?
1. The size and species of WHAT you are splitting will determine features -things like the need for Horizontal vs. Horizontzl/Vertical model, as well as size of splitter in tons and stroke length or cycle times. Or wether you will equip your splitter with a lift for the really big rounds. Additionally, convenience features like a four or six-way head and outfeed table need to be considered.
2. WHY you are splitting (commercial or home use) will help determine the capacity of the splitter in cycle times to increase production as well the need for production oriented features like a four or six way head, and auto return valves, and outfeed tables etc.
3. WHERE you are splitting I think determines the need for wether or not a lift or horizontal/vertical splitter is needed. I may catch flak for this, but I feel if you take the splitter to the wood, i.e. where you fell the tree, then a lift or vertical splitting is handy to have. . . simply roll the large rounds to the splitter or lift and you're in business. HOWEVER - if you bring your wood to the splitter it would make sense to reduce the size of the large rounds first ripping in half or quarters with a saw -to minimize handling of heavy rounds, so the need for a lift or vertical splitting is diminished.
4. WHAT'S the cost? Obviously everyone wants the best splitter they can afford - and your own situation and buget will determine what's right for you.

Lots to think about - good luck in your choice and post some photos when you get your unit!

truth be known... my speeco 35ton is already more splitter than I personally need. since all I'm doing is supporting wood for me and a few others.

but I want a TW-5 .... fully loaded of course... :chainsaw:
just like there's a ton of folks on AS who really need their MS 880 :popcorn:

Engineeredlawns
1. The size and species of WHAT you are splitting will determine features -things like the need for Horizontal vs. Horizontzl/Vertical model, as well as size of splitter in tons and stroke length or cycle times. Or wether you will equip your splitter with a lift for the really big rounds. Additionally, convenience features like a four or six-way head and outfeed table need to be considered. Mostly red oak and then some white oak. Some rounds can be up to 32", but the red oak pops open so easy with a maul, but I am getting older. I am also splitting the rest of the tree, so the rounds do get smaller. 90 to 95% is 20" or less
2. WHY you are splitting (commercial or home use) will help determine the capacity of the splitter in cycle times to increase production as well the need for production oriented features like a four or six way head, and auto return valves, and outfeed tables etc.I split for my wood stove and help out one other person with their wood. Maybe 6 cords a year. Table would be nice but don't have to have 4 way wedge, and production speed is not critical
3. WHERE you are splitting I think determines the need for wether or not a lift or horizontal/vertical splitter is needed. I may catch flak for this, but I feel if you take the splitter to the wood, i.e. where you fell the tree, then a lift or vertical splitting is handy to have. . . simply roll the large rounds to the splitter or lift and you're in business. HOWEVER - if you bring your wood to the splitter it would make sense to reduce the size of the large rounds first ripping in half or quarters with a saw -to minimize handling of heavy rounds, so the need for a lift or vertical splitting is diminished.I split at home. Unless I can take the splitter in the truck. I haul wood in my small dump trailer, big rounds get moved on a hand truck and up a ramp into the trailer.
4. WHAT'S the cost? Obviously everyone wants the best splitter they can afford - and your own situation and buget will determine what's right for you. The cheaper the better, but I don't really need to go over $2500 or around that. I don't want to spend $1500 and get the wrong machine and then have to sell it to get something else. I would rater spend the extra $$ and get the best machine possible for personnel use, but I also don't need the production machine for do 50 chords.

Lots to think about - good luck in your choice and post some photos when you get your unit!

From what I have researched, it looks like and American or a Timberwolf. WHat about the Split-Fire? I also have to find out if they can be purchased near me or about shipping. Thanks

Timberwolf TWP-1

I've been running a Timberwolf the smallest model. Excellent splitter. Start easily ..always. And there are little if any roundsI have not been able to split. Been through some big 30+ inchers but mostly splitting 25" and under. The only regret is I didn't haggle just a little and get the trable that keeps the split wood movin forward. It's a comfortable height, fast enough cycletime as I work solo and it's laid out so you can stand in one spot all movements are within a foot/ foot and ahlf radius.

Five years now and about 5-8 cords a year Zero problems!

That's the One!

I've been running a Timberwolf the smallest model. Excellent splitter. Start easily ..always. And there are little if any roundsI have not been able to split. Been through some big 30+ inchers but mostly splitting 25" and under. The only regret is I didn't haggle just a little and get the trable that keeps the split wood movin forward. It's a comfortable height, fast enough cycletime as I work solo and it's laid out so you can stand in one spot all movements are within a foot/ foot and ahlf radius.

Five years now and about 5-8 cords a year Zero problems!

After a lot of research that's the one I chose as well- - could not be happier.

Al

soooo ... how's the littlest timberwolf work? do you have the manual log lift?

TW-P1_lever_log_lift_01.jpg

Last edited:
I have the 37 ton Northern. I would not buy it again. I would go for the Timberwolf or American. Luckily I weld and fabricate. I can make the 37 better. I`ve had problems with the weak chassis and substandard factory oil filter housings. I will make it better.

I recommend a Swisher splitter. Not just because i have one but it has a 2 year warranty and is made well. All i split with mine is elm so that should tell you something.

I have the AM 25HH and could not be happier with it. It works fine, has more than enough power, the extra height is perfect for me.. much less bending.(I don't know how anyone can use a verticle splitter) the 4 way removable wedge makes work fast, the cycle time is perfect and the Honda engine is very reliable. For the money it is the best bang for the price.

I have looked at cub cadet (cheap looking, too low, not enough beefieness for my liking) which goes for many of the others in the 1200-1800 range IMO

Timberwolf makes a nice product but to be honest, when seen in person you wonder why they are 2-3 times the money of some of the others, not worth the extra $ IMO

The American splitters have a very wide range of performance based on the model you select. As I said, I have the AM25HH which is the first of their "commercial" grades of splitters. Well made, beefy, fast enough for my 50 year old back, great height that minimizes bending, large tires for ease of rolling by hand and has an actual hydraulic tank, not some thin tank mounted as a structural part of the axle assembly. That is something I did not like about the other splitters.

IMO, for the money, American is the best in its class if you are looking for a splitter that will last long enough to pass on to your kids.

Logsplitter

I'll try to keep this short. Just my 2, stay away from Cubcadet, Northern. and anything MTD, THEIR JUNK!! I know from expierence I've owned both. No doubt American, Timberwolf and Iron Oak are the topend and are great splitters but, you'll spend $2000.00 and up for them. I ( in my opinion) Wanted the best of both worlds I went with a 28 ton SPEECO ($1500.00 incl tax) Commercially built but without the high price. Don't take my word for it go compare one and the others and then makeup your mind. They can also come in different variations 28 t/w Honda engine or B/S engine, same thing with 22 Ton , 35 ton. Hope this helps

No offense but do yourself a favor and do a search here on the site for "speeco" before making up your mind on that one.

:)

Splitters

NO OFFENSE SPLITTAH!! I don't know where your looking !!! but, I see nothing but GOOD things about the SPEECO splitters, Oh by the way I forgot to mention SPEECO also makes HUSKEE SPLITTERS. I'll just other chime in on these two SPLITTAHS.

yes... please do a search... what you will find is... LOADS of great feedback!

only issue has been... recently there's been bent base plates on 35ton speeco made aprox. 2 years ago.

in every case Speeco has stepped to the plate and immediately shipped out a new beam w/base plate to replace. customer service has been good as they come. speeco has also paid labor to RR beam.

any mfg can and do have defective parts.... it's how you take care of issues that come up...

even Timberwolf has defective issues with bent axles on TW-6 ($8k+ splitter) ... no one is immune from glitches.... it's how you handle those glitches that counts.

I'm one of the 2 owner of a 35 ton speeco on AS ... that's posted documented issues with bent 35 ton splitter foot.

I can tell you first hand... speeco warrantied my bent foot with zero fuss. my new splitter frame w/new designed foot arrived within a week. RR took way less than the two hours speeco paid. since I didn't have to wait for a shop to fix... mine was fixed in a jiff!

I'd do business with speeco again without hesitation!

again... by all means... buy an American or Timberwolf if you have the budget. IMHO 35 ton speeco still holds the max bang for the $$$ title if your don't have $7k for a TW-5.

my next splitter will probably be a TW-5 w/lift

No offense but do yourself a favor and do a search here on the site for "speeco" before making up your mind on that one.

:)

Last edited:
Back