log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do I start on the Stickler woodsplitter. They are the dumbest GD thing I have ever seen. That basic design has been around in other forms for years. Last winter I noticed these "sticklers" showing up on ebay. I always bookmarked them to see if anyone was dumb enough to buy them. I never sasw one sell. Well I must have missed one because a few months back a used one showed up and ebay and the damm thing sold for good money the second time around. I have never seen a more unsafe or ignorant attempt at splitting wood.

Bill

People are buying those outdoor wood furnaces like crazy around here. They are afraid of coming increases in heatin gass and oil prices.

It is spuring saw sales. A lot of the older poulans Mac's Homlites etc that havn't run much in fifteen years won't fire up anymore so they are running to the saw shop to update their saw.

We are seeing a resurgance in firewood cutting. (East central Illinois) Similar to 1981 but with the trend to outside furnaces.

Screw Type Splitters

I`m going to agree with Bill G on this premise. In the 70s when I was a teenager, my dad had one of those screw type splitters. I don`t recall the brand but it attached to the three point hitch and pto of a tractor. I fully credit the operating charcteristics of this beast with developing in me the skills that earned me a reputation as formidable fighter with great upper body strength and lightning fast hands and reflexes. His machine had a steel tip on an aluminum screw which needed periodic sharpening, but even when sharp it was often difficult to start into a chunk. So in order to start a round I would normally grab a piece with both hands and forcefully shove it on to the rotating screw to ensure engagement. Things were normally OK from this point as long as you engaged the piece perpendicular to the screw and an outboard brace/log rest this thing had built in to it. Fully supported, it would split nearly anything you could pick up. Miss perfect engagement however and you suddenly find your head and hands in close proximity to a rapidly (540 rpm) spinning chunk of tree. Just like the models that attach to the drive wheel of a vehicle, there was no handy way of rapid disengagement, but at least this model had the auxilary log rest to help prevent this, unlike the vehicle models I have seen which rely on contact with the ground. That was a machine which should have been outlawed. Happily, someone stole that setup from my father after too many years of ownership. Talk about an instant day of reckoning or judgement day, LOL. I too have one of the cheap MTD 20 ton splitters. I bought it for my stepdaughters and wife to use when they used to help me, probably 8 years ago. It has split a pretty good amount of wood for a cheap splitter with minimal repairs. We were splitting about 30-35 face cord a year with it, and frankly I don`t know what sort of abuse they subjected it too, but the only thing that needed any attention was the adjustable jib plate on the wedge, needed replacement twice, about $30 each time. Knowing the girls I know that it suffered unusual abuse, but I have also noticed that the new MTDs have a cast piece that the wedge rides on now, probably much tougher. I`d probably buy another if I needed a machine for homeowner use. Now that I am solely responsible for splitting the wood I normally just maul it as I cut it although sometimes if I`m into really big, 30" or more, rounds I will split them with the machine. Sorry about the long post. Russ

I got one of the 26 ton Yard Machines from Wal-Mart, works very well with no problems for 2 years now. Good machine for the money, nothing it won't split, just not the quickest.

Originally posted by bwalker
Have you ever used one Dennis? The cycle time is amazing, but I wonder if it has enough guts to slit nasty. notted hickory and oak.

My father in law had one - it ran off an electric motor and was really fast. It split every chunk I tried, first try ( beech & maple mostly ) My Father in law kept the splitter for 10 years and then sold it - I wish I would have bought it.
It was fast and I imagine it had potential for doing some damage if the operator wasn't alert.

Splitting Hickory by maul is murder

Hickory and Locust are the most prevalent hardwoods (other than soft poplar) around my parts. I am a big strapping dude, 6' 225#, not fat, and I found that splitting hickory with a number 8 or a monster maul to be outright sadism. The bark of the hickory is so tough that it actually holds the wood together. Then the hellish stuff is so stringy that most pieces would take 4 or 5 hits with a #8 to get it to split. In that 5 minutes that I was splitting one 16" diameter hickory chunk, I used my Brave (home crepo) to split 3 similar size pieces, and bonus, no pulled lower back.

My splitter is a brave with a 22 ton capacity, 5.5 OHV tecumseh. It has served me very well for three years now with little maintenance. ($999)

Unless you split dry poplar or dry oak, a maul is no way to go if you split a bunch of wood.

Kindest Regards,

Mark

Thanks for the info guys. I am trying to find a quality product that will last a VERY long time, as my wood furnace is only in it's 2nd winter and I plan on burning for many to come. I recently saw that the Lowe's in my area has the Troy-Built 33 ton w/5.5 Honda motor for about $1400, I think the cyle time was about 13 sec.

Anybody have any thoughts on the Troy-Built product??

Thanks again, I appreciate the insight.

not that I have tons of experience with them....

but I'd think the Honda motor would last longer than the Briggs. It's been 12 years since I messed with many small 4 cycle engines. Are any splitter makers using the Kawasaki motors yet?

dad2_5,

I am far from and expert but I would like to know where troy-bilt or MTD comes up with 33 ton out of a 5.5 Hp motor. The biggest pump I believe that motor will operate I believe is a 11 gpm. Now I realize you can still develop pressure at a low flow rate I am pretty sure the 13 second cycle time they quote which get much longer when developing 33 ton of force. The Northern Hydraulics splitters have the following specifications. A 20 ton has a 5hp Honda and a 11gpm pump ($999). A 24 ton has a 8hp Briggs and a 16gpm pump($1499). A 30 ton has a 13hp Honda and a 22pm pump($2199). The 20 and 24 ton splitters are quoted at 14 second cycle time. No time quoted for the 30 ton. Like I said earlier I am far from an expert but I am just stating my opinion.

Bill

I have to agree with BillG, I think that about 20 ton is the max you are going to get with a 5 horse motor. More food for thought, and I `m sure that some of you will find this blasphemous, but the Honda motors use some sort of trickery to achieve a rated horsepower. For example, identical splitters coupled to Briggs or Tecumseh engines will produce more spliiting force than one coupled to a 5.5 Honda. I had this demonstrated to me by a friend who is an OPE retailer when I was complaining about the output of my 25oo watt Honda generator being embarrased by an el cheapo Homelite with a Briggs engine. Although the Honda is a nicer engine, smoother and quieter also more fuel efficient, I think you would need a much larger engine with a much higher cost to do the work of a cheap MTD. Russ

Russ, The reason the are quiter, more fuel efficiant,etc is because many times from the factory honda sets the rpm's too low. Most people never know the differance. I always reset mine with a tack. I also have a sears lawn more witha 22hp briggs on it that when I got it home would barely cut. It had the rpm set too low also.

Sorry for the mistake guys, I checked the specs again. The 5.5 Honda is on a 27 ton splitter. But the price is still $1400. I see that MTD also owns Yard Machine and Cub Cadet, are the MTD products in general NOT a good product?

Side note: our local TSC (Tractor Supply Company) sells Huskee products, how do they compare in quality?:confused:

MTD really isnt known for good quality. The have a rep for buying companies held in high regards such as Troy built and cub cadet to captializen on there name. Sort of like Husky pawning off rebadged poulans as husky and jonsereds.

RPMs too low

Hi Ben, interesting point about the rpms but with a generator you have to set the loaded rpms such that you are putting out 120vac and the frequency is correct at this rpm due to the design and construction of the generator. I was trying to run a 15 amp saw on a 12 ga, 50' extension at a camp we were building and it just wouldn`t spin up, so this guy literally drags this old Homelite out of the bushes, fires it up, and takes my cord and plugs it in and away we go. I was pretty disappointed with the Honda that day. BTW, it is a Honda generator coupled to the Honda engine.

Back to splitters. The MTD may be all you need as a homeowner, but remember, there is no free lunch. You will be giving up something by paying less, but it may be insignificant. 6 to 8 full cord is not all that much to have to split annually, probably any machine will serve you well. I saw a 20ton splitter in the Harbor Freight catalog for $799. They always used to have free shipping on orders over $50. Good luck in your decision. Russ

Latest posts

Back