Logging trucks and equipment pics.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why'd you get rid of the
We got rid of the 1110 this spring and bought the buffalo.

Will probably get another set of front chains this fall or winter, along with rim rings to keep them from walking over.

We had chains on the old caribou and in the space of a few hours one day a chain walked over and cut off the bogie housing. The machine came off the trailer fresh from the shop, newly tightened chains and all, and by the end of the day it was a seven wheel rig. Took months to finally track down another bogie in Scotland.
View attachment 436896

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
YOUCH!!! Tough day.
Why did you get rid of the 1110? I have had problems with my chains, especially on the low profile tires. But if I center them right, tighten them evenly, and tighten them within an hour of installing them, I run all winter with no problems. But, that's only if I do it all right the first time.

I always make sure the chains are even when I do them myself. The shop had done it that time and the inside was a link shorter.

The 1110 was a good stout rig, but was getting into the high teens for hours. We had a drive pump go on the 1010 and it took the whole hydraulic system with it. Didn't want that to happen twice in a year so we upgraded. Had very good experience with Ponsse and the buffalo was available.

I haven't run it except to unload a cord or two just to try it out, but the guys really seem to like it and it hauls a heck of a pile of wood.

Maybe chains are different on the bigger tires? I don't mess with mine unless they throw a shackle. Tighten once a year. They stay on all year.

The little tire on the small 6 and 8 wheel rigs are almost as wide as tall and are a bit more finicky. Also when the bunk is loaded the front slides a little as you turn, pulling a side load on the chains

The little tire on the small 6 and 8 wheel rigs are almost as wide as tall and are a bit more finicky. Also when the bunk is loaded the front slides a little as you turn, pulling a side load on the chains

I agree. The low profile tires are MUCH more difficult to keep chains on straight than the tall rubber. The first winter I ran chains on 600 rubber was a nightmare.

I've always preferred tracks on the front of our 1210B hate the machine myself to work on but it works for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good truckers sure are nice to work with aren't they? The guys we are working with now are quite often loaded and leaving the job when we get there a little before six.

Two trips a day is 16 to 18 hours from this current job.

Colton it looks like your hardwoods are suffering pretty severe top dieback. The same is happening here. Not a good outlook for our hardwoods. And a budworm in the spruce and fir.

The die back is a result of 10 years ago cutting 18" and up. We're not cutting 12 and up. Lots of timber that's a blast to cut. Hog in one side and cut it around so fast it doesn't know it's dead. Lots of stuff 30 inches on the stump, tulip poplar and lots of black cherry. Hard and soft maple didn't take off like the others. Seems they don't take disturbance as well as other species.

O yea. That piece behind the loader just got raped that's partially why it looks so thin. Forester's orders.

I noticed that you put the tree tops in front of the harvester, is it something you do all the time?
There's a lot of talk of minimizing the damage done by the forwarders aorund here, now it's pretty much mandatory to use the tops and even limbs to drive on.
I think it's a good thing, it is possible to bring the wood out and still have sufficient habitats for wild life and pure, undisturbed water in the creeks :)

I noticed that you put the tree tops in front of the harvester, is it something you do all the time?
There's a lot of talk of minimizing the damage done by the forwarders aorund here, now it's pretty much mandatory to use the tops and even limbs to drive on.
I think it's a good thing, it is possible to bring the wood out and still have sufficient habitats for wild life and pure, undisturbed water in the creeks :)

Usually try to drop the tops in the trails yes. Here it is more to flatten everything out. So rocky on this site a guy would have a hard time driving a nail into the ground. If you pull a tree up it looks like dinosaur eggs underneath.

Usually try to drop the tops in the trails yes. Here it is more to flatten everything out. So rocky on this site a guy would have a hard time driving a nail into the ground. If you pull a tree up it looks like dinosaur eggs underneath.
Do the same here on the west coast but mainly to help with ground impact of yarding and with in a year you can't even tell there was a trail there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back