Looking for a first saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaBear

Reaction score
Good evening.

This winter we had some bad ice storms that did alot of damage. I have been wanting to get a saw and now I have a really good reason. I have several acres of land that I need to clean up and want to help my in-laws and friends as well.

I worked for an arborist doing ground work years about 15 years ago before I started teaching.

I remembered using mostly Huskys and really liking them. I am looking for my first saw and I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible. I would prefer new. A friend suggested e-bay but I would prefer to support the local shops. Economy has hit us hard.

I came across these three saws:Husqvarna 350, Husqvarna 455, Husqvarna 445 in my searches but ran across this site and thought I would get some opinions on them.

What would be a good saw for what I am looking for. I will be limbing, doing removals, and sawing fire wood. I would like something that could easily handle an 18" bar. I like the Huskys but would be open to other suggestions?

Thanks

For cleanup

A 455 might be hard on the back. I have a 435, little less HP than a 445,
but same basic saw, the P&C is slightly larger on 445.
I picked up a a 455 a couple of times in stores, they felt as heavy as
the 372 XP.
If you can afford it, get a 346 XP.

i love my 455 rancher i got it at tsc as one of my first saws it will handle a 20 in bar just fine ive buried this thing in 36 in wood + and it did the job
this saw also cut over 30 cord of firewood last year by its self so it has defiantly earned its keep have not had any problems with the saw yet not one. only had to replace the air filter and spark arrestor so far so. for the price they go for they are a hell of a saw i know of a smaller equipment store around here that was selling them for 329.00 over the summer wish i picked up another

I would go for the 450 Husky, I have quite a bit of run time on several different 350's, seemed to have good power for the weight. I also own a 455 Rancher, I really like it, but for what it sounds like your going to be doing I would stick with the 450 for the weight factor. Thanks

Latest posts

Back