Looking for a lightweight limb saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great little limber

I bought a MS 180 c last weekend for limbing.

I stuck with the stock chain and 14" bar to keep the weight down and RPMs up.

I ran 2 tanks of gas through it cutting through a tangle of ice damaged cherry trees that came down last winter. They were broken off about 15-feet up, tops on the ground but still attached to the trunk and wrapped in grape vines. Quite a mess.

Fantastic little saw. Light enough to reach and cut overhead (w/ppe of course) I was amazed at how fast it cut through cherry limbs. It is only 2 HP saw so you can't lean on it, but with a sharp chain and those high RPMs,
you don't need to.

I tested in cherry up to 12" in diameter. Really amazing, and it's not even broken in.

Before I read Brads thread last week I figured the MS200 was just to week at 32ccs.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=82741&highlight=ms+180 Thanks Brad :clap:

IMO a excellent little (affordable) saw, and a great deal for 200 bucks.

Check out the Stihl MS211 and husky 435. These 2 may be a little heavier than wanted but they back it up with power. Both are clam shells but are holding up to pro abuse very well.

This is the fault of all you guys on this site.For my whole life I thought if you burn wood you need A saw.Just one.Well I got a nice new 346XP and the guys I cut with have 372's sooooooo what I err..we need is a small saw.I looked at the 339XP when I bought my saw and it is a cute little thing but 500 bucks ain't in the cards for a limb saw.And with the air cleaner thing I'm looking for something else.I have no brand loyalty BUT I do love this Husky.It's light,small,starts EZ and looks like it'll last.

I'd like:
Smaller than the 346
7 or 8 LBS.
Good power(2 ish HP.
NO PLASTIC CRANKCASE!
If possible .325 chain to match the 346 so I only need a 3/16 file in the field.
Also I like the new anti-vibe stuff on a saw

Thanks in advance
DON the X one saw guy.

There is no saw that will fulfill all that criteria, not even if you include the 339xp in the options ("plastic" outer crankcase).

Watch it woodyman, the fugly police will be here shortly to slap you around...:popcorn:

I would look into the RedMax, some folks speak highly of the 3200 if you can find it, but I'm sure the 3800 would do just fine also...check out chainsawsculture.com, Jamie Doeren has both, AFAIK. He is the only one to have the 3200 that I know of.

Last edited:
Don't know if I should post this, but...
Some time ago I found this VIDEO on Youtube.com.
A little child is using the 339xp to cut tree.. (let's not get into it, but still..)
I am not a doctor, but sounds like You are going to have CAD, because You have a 346xp in Your stock, but still want another limbing saw. I have tried 346xp on limbing and guys here know what they are talking about - it is light, strong, fast "nimble limber". My opinion: Save some money and just go out to have fun with that 346xp (especially if it is the New Edition), or if CAD is striking bad, spend that money on used 372 for Yourself to have a nice two saw combo.
No offense, just my opinion...

Last edited:
I guess I should expect to hear it for this, but here goes: We have three shindaiwa 357's. Don't have experience against a real saw .... the only complaint I have is that the low idle seems to migrate. Kind of a pain.

I agree with Erick the Redmax3800 does a fine job! I had a Dolmar401 it was good but the 3800 cut faster and idled better.
A fellow at work was impressed with a Dolmar341. He said really outcut his Stihl180, I can only imagine what he would have thought of a Redmax!

I agree with Erick the Redmax3800 does a fine job! I had a Dolmar401 it was good but the 3800 cut faster and idled better.
A fellow at work was impressed with a Dolmar341. He said really outcut his Stihl180, I can only imagine what he would have thought of a Redmax!

I really like the redmax 3200, 3800 and 4000 (got a 4000 never used for 140 on ebay), but I don't think you can get a .325 sprocket.

Edit: Rburg pm'd that the 4500 runs .325 so maybe that would fit the 3800 and 4000 as well (those two take the same sprockets I know).

I personally run 3/8 lp and 1/4 on those saws with good results.

Last edited:
Still:dizzy: thinking about a small saw.My 346 weights about 15 lbs fully dressed.So I guess I'm looking for about 10 or so fully dressed.One thing I like about the 346 is the build quality but I guess you have to give some of that up for weight.

BTW what does CAD mean?
DON

Latest posts

Back