Lost Compression on Stihl 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melvinhatcher

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Lost compression and saw quit running after a long hard cut. Saw did not make any noise before it quit and does not make any metallic noise when pulling the starting rope, just a weak puny putt, putt out the exhaust. I wonder if I burned a hole in the piston or did the rings just let go?
Any suggestion, other than just pulling the cylinder off and looking inside?:jawdrop:

Thanks in advance

Melvin

You could take muffler off and see that side but, I would pull the cylinder off and check it's no good to you like it is.

Maybe check the spark plug first but doesn't sound hopeful. then as suggested pull muffler and do a compression check.
Hope it isn't too bad as 064 cylinders are thin on the ground.

You could take muffler off and see that side but, I would pull the cylinder off and check it's no good to you like it is.

:agree2: This will be my first check. I think it just overheated and burned the ring. Just a thought. I will report back in a few days. Right now, I have to finish cutting with my 028 to make room for a few more loads of free wood.

Best regard.

Maybe check the spark plug first but doesn't sound hopeful. then as suggested pull muffler and do a compression check.
Hope it isn't too bad as 064 cylinders are thin on the ground.
Hello maico,

As I stated earlier, I would report back in a few days on the condition of my saw. This time I have good news, as you suggested "CHECK THE SPARK PLUG FIRST,” Never in a million years would I think the spark plug would have been loose enough to back out. My saw runs just as good as new after replacing the plug.

Thank you for your suggestion. :clap:

Regards,

Melvin :givebeer:

Have you bought a lottery ticket lately? Ken
No, I haven’t but, maybe I should. Right now I am a tired old man from cutting wood but, I am a HAPPY old man. :cheers: My dad gave me that saw, a lot of sentimental value wrapped up in that old saw.

Best regards to all

Melvin

Hi Melvin,

Glad to hear you've lucked out and it was my pleasure to be of some help.
I've had two plugs go bad recently and give hard starting/poor running symptoms. The first was in a saw where the ceramic insulator had a crack near the tip which was virtually invisible when cold but could clearly be seen when the plug was pulled hot.( That description glosses over the time spent working it out!)
The second was on a trench compactor. On that one the whole ceramic insulator broke off and was bouncing up and down on the electrode. A bit easier to point at that one and say "There's your problem"

Mike.

Hello maico,

As I stated earlier, I would report back in a few days on the condition of my saw. This time I have good news, as you suggested "CHECK THE SPARK PLUG FIRST,” Never in a million years would I think the spark plug would have been loose enough to back out. My saw runs just as good as new after replacing the plug.

Thank you for your suggestion. :clap:

Regards,

Melvin :givebeer:

Glad it was a cheap & easy fix for ya. I had exactly the same thing happen this spring when milling with my 066. Ran wonky for a while, then POOF - nothing. Compression was totally gone. The plug had vibrated itself all the way out somehow. I'm just glad it didn't lean it out enough to damage the topend. Sure makes a guy almost :censored: his pants for a while though eh!

I had an electrode break loose on a saw if you pulled the plug and looked at it it would look normal but if you turned it over the electrode would fall down and short to the strap. I also had a plug come out on a 4 wheeler once ran great until the plug shot out of the cylinder:jawdrop:

Marvel mystery oil

To keep an old saw working well , it is good to give the insides a good soaking in Mystery Oil ...... It will clean up the carbon on the exhaust side of the piston and will keep the rings freed up ....... I pull the plug and dump a cup or so in the cylinder , slowwly turn the engine over ,,,,,,,Then leave it for a week or so .... then pump it all out by pulling the starter , dump some saw gas in the jug and pull it thru .... let it dry for a couple hours , put the plug in and start it up and run it ....... . A Stuck ring is a ruined power head in waiting ....

yep i would of checked that first cos it happened to me going up the highway on an old motor bike and she spat the plug out it hit me in the leg .

Back