Lurker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Especially awesome pics with cool stories. I'd apologize for shennanigans, but as a son of Clan Shennan, sept of Clan MacDonald, and probable kinsman of RandMac, I'm somewhat prone to them

Meng, good to see we have something to offset some imports.

hl, that barge looks a little too big for the Nantahala or French Broad.

Did you ever find the machinery you were looking for a few years back? I thought of you last night when surfing the surplus auctions. Came across some nice ultra low mileage conventionally configured Oshkosh 8 x 8 truck tractors but they were about 9 feet wide which I assume would cause some issues with the DOT. Looks like they could be good for some of the country Meng has shown.

Ron

Our daily, weather permitting, airplane to the coast. I have no idea how many hours I have riding Beavers and Otters into some camp, somewhere to do something, hundreds I'm guessing.

9158859463_4ec2d44482_c.jpg

Or standing on some dock with gear piled waiting for the crew boat to come make me vomit, again.
Logging in BC and Alaska.

9010971151_770915b2b0_c.jpg

7472722884_9d4658d527_c.jpg

Thats correct. Those were soft maple, we also cut a bunch of ash in there. I believe that most of that maple went to local furniture and cabinet makers. A lot of those trees got big in there because you could only cut in there when it was all froze over. We used a bombardier skidder on tracks to make the trails, it was a cool little machine I will try to find a picture of it. It even got used a few times to pull out the big skidder when it broke through the ice

we have some big soft maple here.......no grade market, it goes for pallets or i think every 5th tie can be maple. there is one of those little machines close by, owner says under carriage costs more than its worth.
ash grows in swamps here as well.......its funny to me when mountain guys talk about ash lol

Ya those little machines are expensive to fix. We blew a track off in the bush one day and had to do a temporary fix on it back in the swamp just to get it to the landing so we could float it back to the mill for a proper repair. I think the repair list for that mishap must have been rather high because I never saw it back in the bush that year . Ash is a pretty good mover up here

white ash.......not swamp exactly, sandy creek bottoms is where ya find it here. hardly ever find one up on the hill. they are usually all white with little or no heart. problem is with all the new regs and wide buffers, i hardly ever get to cut one now.
no EAB here yet either.

Man we have eab to beat the band here........trees are almost past their prime...Brown almost punky. No live limbs anymore. We have 0 regulations or restrictions when selling to the sawmill. If you can find one that's still white they are paying good money.

No I don't remember when they hit really bad here but there's still damage from them going on now. The state does allot of timber sales that are gypsy kill. Seems like they always let the timber go about 2 years to long after its killed.

Latest posts

Back