Makita 6421 Muffler Mod With Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks very nice!
@Logger nate you should post a picture of yours for another option.
Well mine don’t look quite as good but is was easy and no welding required 4D1551DB-8E8B-49ED-BC2C-2CF8B5F97C10.jpeg Mine has the SLR muffler, not quite as restrictive as a cat so left inside alone, for now...:)
I like outlets on the side better but wanted something that would direct more of the exhaust away from me when milling, this does the job.A6404C2E-6862-4E05-8CF3-C126648F06D0.jpeg

The oil tank on that pretty saw will soon be all exhaust stained...:)
It acts as an oil warmer in the winter months :p.
I think its better than having it on the "drivers side" as I've seen many and had one. Its good to see what others are doing, even if it isn't how we would do it it helps us to think about things more, and for those who were looking for a similar solution there it is.

That looks very nice!

Well mine don’t look quite as good but is was easy and no welding required View attachment 756173 Mine has the SLR muffler, not quite as restrictive as a cat so left inside alone, for now...:)
I like outlets on the side better but wanted something that would direct more of the exhaust away from me when milling, this does the job.View attachment 756174
Next time make the deflector elliptical and the muffler will have a smiley face. :)

Could end up with exhaust stain on front, hasn’t so far. The way the deflector is angled it actually keeps it away from the front of the saw pretty good. Might not look as good but so far in function I like it better than drivers side or straight out the front.
Bottom of muffler just needs to be more round for smiley face :), lol.

Here is the one I did on my 6401. I painted it with high temp paint afterwards but forgot to take a pic of it painted before I put it back on the saw.i also heated the crimp and split it open to cut that baffle out.

Attachments

• 2FCC7D11-2380-46F7-BF64-BA7D555C5E3F.png
    2FCC7D11-2380-46F7-BF64-BA7D555C5E3F.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • AB8A26F5-F234-4E6E-AECF-56FA318EAB02.png
    AB8A26F5-F234-4E6E-AECF-56FA318EAB02.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
The oil tank on that pretty saw will soon be all exhaust stained...:)
5 tanks so far...91753F1C-6923-46A8-B40D-583DC5BD9BDB.jpeg:)
Seems to work real well so far. Sure seems to help keep exhaust away when milling. I’ve used 044, 064, 661, 372, 385, 576 for milling this is probably my favorite set up so far. A 572 with similar kind of outlet would probably work real well too (on my wish list:)). The 385 had an outlet that blew the exhaust right into the square tube on the mill, got so hot couldn’t hold your hand on it, sounded good though.

While 7 - 8 tanks a day is normal for me and getting to 100 doesn`t take long, seems soon is just a matter of weeks for a saw actually being used but may be a long time for shelf queens.....LOL
Yep, many of us are weekend warriors or that plus a little during the week. Then when you have a bunch of saws it's hard for them to get more than a few tanks each per month. I have to go out and cut cookies just to keep some fuel circulating through mine.
Sounds like your running more thru yours than many on here are.

Yep, many of us are weekend warriors or that plus a little during the week. Then when you have a bunch of saws it's hard for them to get more than a few tanks each per month. I have to go out and cut cookies just to keep some fuel circulating through mine.
Sounds like your running more thru yours than many on here are.

There are times, though less now than years gone by. Age plus machinery is taking its toll but I still get some good days in.

There are times, though less now than years gone by. Age plus machinery is taking its toll but I still get some good days in.
I don't have that much wood available to me to cut unless I'm cutting for free. I have more than enough firewood on the split pile then theres lots of rounds, then when those are gone I've got a pile of logs. If I'm running 7-8 tanks thru a few different saws in a day, that's a nice payday or a buddy is getting a heck of a favor.

Latest posts

Back