Makita choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornetboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on the value of stepping up from a 6401 to a 7901 for a general farm/ firewood/ felling saw? Not as a replacement, but as an additional saw.

Having run a 6401 and after converting it to a 7900 I would say there is no reason to have a 6401. The 6401 is heavy for its displacement. Not to say that it is a bad saw. But I don't see a reason to have two saws of the same size/weight but with different displacement.

I would convert the 6401 to 79cc and then consider a lighter 50-60cc saw to compliment it.

If it's the right price, jump on it. I'm looking at buying a new 7901 and adding the HD filter kit.

It's only that one is likely coming up at the right price

I certainly wouldn't pass on a 7901 if it was a good deal. The value of stepping from the 6401 to the 7901 is priceless. I would be surprised if your 6401 gets much use after you get your hands on a 7901.

How much difference is there between a 6401 and a 7901 with both running a twenty inch bar? Anyone tried them both?

For a saw that are both basically the same you will appreciate the extra power of the 7900 with the same weight saw. The 7900 will give you more power and will cut faster in the same wood. Once you try it you'll like it.....trust me!!

Where you cut a HD filter is probably advantageous but around here it is unnecessary.

Cutting hard timber like old Ironbarks for example, good filtration is a necessity here in Australia, the filter in my 562 just doesn't cut the mustard, for example.

Back