Mastermind Meets The Husqvarna 395XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised it only blew 155psi stock. My buddy runs three 395's and the stocker blows over 180 and the two Madsens built are right at 200...all of them have at least 2 years of full time timber falling on them too. Is 150 average for a stock 395?

Mastermind, im new to saw building, i actually just REbuild now. Mostly Old Stihls and Huskys....just for fun, and to beef up a collection.
Can i ask, whats a woods port, squish band, ect....and what would it do for my MS362?
Im mostly a DIYer, and would try a muffler mod just for the express purpose of learning how to....and then bragging that i DID one...

Not trying to take your business, just looking for knowledge

I've learned everything I know about two-stroke engines by studying what I found on this site and a few others. Bell and Jennings also both have some very good info in their books. I would suggest studying all the build threads you can find...then dig in. :rock:

Ya, I've used it before, but just in flat stock, and I can't remember the name, but it was the same colour as that.

395's rule the roost for 90cc saws. I should'a never sold my last one I did. I still have a runner, which I need to go back in, its not as good, and one in a box. I just hardly ever use that size saw anymore.

It's been big Husky season in the shop lately. I did a 394xp then this 395, now there's a J'red 2095 on the bench.

decompression valve

Mastermind

Will that saw be able to keep a usable decompression valve? If not can they be woods ported and still retain the decomp function?

Thanks

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock::msp_razz::msp_thumbup::msp_thumbsup::popcorn::dribble:

To make this even better, the wife might of gave the approval for purchase of one of these the other day!!!!!
I'll have to see if she was serious or not.

At those #'s looks like see's gonna be a beast!!!

Has anyone ever ran a 4' er on one?

I'm surprised it only blew 155psi stock. My buddy runs three 395's and the stocker blows over 180 and the two Madsens built are right at 200...all of them have at least 2 years of full time timber falling on them too. Is 150 average for a stock 395?

I was very surprised at that myself.......I might not have had a good seal on my tester. :msp_confused:

Mastermind

Will that saw be able to keep a usable decompression valve? If not can they be woods ported and still retain the decomp function?

Thanks

Yes the decomp still works fine. On some saw you have to press it in every pull though as the compression pops it out.

I'm not, the ones that I've done are around there. And the modded ones with popup have come in around 195psi.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock::msp_razz::msp_thumbup::msp_thumbsup::popcorn::dribble:

To make this even better, the wife might of gave the approval for purchase of one of these the other day!!!!!
I'll have to see if she was serious or not.

At those #'s looks like see's gonna be a beast!!!

Has anyone ever ran a 4' er on one?

My friend runs a 42" on stock 395's. I have a 36" for mine, and I find that's big enough.

I'm not, the ones that I've done are around there. And the modded ones with popup have come in around 195psi.

Interesting...I'm curious what Madsens did to get the comp up so high then. I know they don't have popups.

Here's the material I've been using for the last few mandrels.

Setting up to cut a 56mm mandrel.

Shaving the cylinder base.

Setting up to cut the squish band.

And done...

how do you keep up with how much you take out doing it by hand without monitoring w/an indicator???

just turn a bit and check it with a caliper,,, for example take .030 off the Comb Chamb then shave the base the same amount???

Pretty slick actually,, and how do you secure the jug to the mandrel to cut the base?? a big sheetmetal screw W/buggy washer screwed in through the plug hole???

Last edited:

My friend runs a 42" on stock 395's. I have a 36" for mine, and I find that's big enough.

How does it do w/ the 42''?
Does he run Full or skip?
.404?
I'm sick of wittling w/ the 36.

Interesting...I'm curious what Madsens did to get the comp up so high then. I know they don't have popups.

Lack of elevation in Centralia maybe? Not sure what the elevation is there.......alot less that here I suppose.

how do you keep up with how much you take out doing it by hand without monitoring w/an indicator???

just turn a bit and check it with a caliper,,, for example take .030 off the Comb Chamb then shave the base the same amount???

Pretty slick actually,, and how do you secure the jug to the mandrel to cut the base?? a big sheetmetal screw W/buggy washer screwed in through the plug hole???

I check the squish.....cut some out.......check the squish.......you get the idea. I figure out how much I want to drop the jug to make my intake timing go where I want it to then cut the squish how much I need to lower to jug plus the squish clearance.

I use a live center against the top of the jug to hold it in place.

Sorry not trying to hijack Randy. I've never uploaded this vid before, just did now. This is the very first saw I ever ported, still got it. Runs ok. Sounds like a dirt bike, stock muffler too!!.

That's my buddy running the saw. I'm the guy with the axe.

[video=youtube_share;voKt-FLEKhM]http://youtu.be/voKt-FLEKhM[/video]

I check the squish.....cut some out.......check the squish.......you get the idea. I figure out how much I want to drop the jug to make my intake timing go where I want it to then cut the squish how much I need to lower to jug plus the squish clearance.

I use a live center against the top of the jug to hold it in place.

Cool,, makes good sense,,, I may give that a try,,,, I suppose the grey plastic is cheaper than delrin,,,,,, ehh???

Last edited:
Cool,,, I may give that a try,,,, I suppose the grey plastic is cheaper than delrin,,,,,, ehh???

It's about the same price Rick. Terry was picking some of this PVC up a few days ago and offered to grab me a 5' stick of it. I liked getting it in longer lengths than the 1' pieces I was getting of the Delrin. Ideal size for the mandrels I use are 8" so 1' was a waste...

Latest posts

Back