McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's it. I've been good and not said anything. My patience is at it's end however. I'm done here for a while. Folks that I care about know how to get ahold of me if needed....[/quote]

Huh?

002.jpg 004.jpg .to bad mac did not make things like this them selves. don't know how durable they are may be they could have made them prettier. i really have not played to much with this. put a new 36" and ground up a nice chain today and did a bunch of tuning cuts with full bar cuts. strong stock saw. i'm having the gun toting monkey do the work. not wild but enough to wake it up good. you can lean on this thing pretty good if you need too.

Last edited:
I know I'm old and my mind is getting feeble but I just don't understand some of the complaints and things that have been on here in the last couple days.

Is it me or is something flying right over my head?

A more direct question would be: What's wrong with eccentric?

ODW

I know I'm old and my mind is getting feeble but I just don't understand some of the complaints and things that have been on here in the last couple days.

Is it me or is something flying right over my head?

A more direct question would be: What's wrong with eccentric?

ODW

ODW, just a guess on my part from reviewing other threads. I think he is tired up biting his tongue to keep from responding to posts that are clearly in error from posters who are claiming knowledge on a specfic subject but are actually ignorant/inexperienced in that specific subject matter (note I said, "ignorant/inexperienced" - not stupid or the like) - posts like some of mine here where I extrapolated in error based on incomplete information, inexperience or erroneous information gleamed from others. Youthful enthusiasm comes to mind though I can't claim it in my case. As I said this is just my guess; but it may be another wrong extrapolation on my part.

Aaron is a super guy. Hopefully, he'll tune in again soon. Ron

As most of MAC-maniacs know, McCullochs will humble you quick: Sometimes a different part number doesn’t affect interchangeability. Sometimes it does. Sometimes a different name or model number means something. Sometimes it doesn’t. Some MACs are frankensaws; most made by former owners and some that came that way from first purchase.

While I have owned every 82cc ten series model known to me but the SP80, the SP81 (I had an SP81E) and the PM850 Super, I am still learning of slight differences between the models. For example, I didn’t know about the “narrow” full wrap until Aaron educated me. Most recently, I discovered that the PM8200s (at least some) have a different crankcase and cylinder bolt pattern than the other MACs - something I didn’t know a year ago despite me posting model differences many times.

While eating humble pie, I am reminded that I didn’t get back to you guys on my chain tensioner woes. FIXED!!! I haven’t broken a tensioner since … (insert dramatic suspenseful pause) … I began to regularly wipe down the bar plates and clamping surfaces of the clutch cover and bar. A pretty sad revelation for a guy who has been chainsawing for over 40 years.

:)

Ron

PS
I still wish the OEM chain tensioner included a longer pawl for ease in assuring that all is aligned.

Rwoods don't forget models depended on whether they where US market or Euro market also. Some Macs where made in Italy some here in the states and they partnered with other companies to sell in other countries. I'm not 100% versed on their history prob not even 50% I use McBob's site alot for reference if I have a question or curiosity on Mac history. Mac invented alot of firsts in their history and some great saws. There's not alot of companies that left a legacy like they did.

McCulloch also manufactured in Australia and Belgium in the good old days, assembled in Mexico in the '90's.

Two Australia only real McCulloch's were the 47A and 73A

Australia 012.jpg

Australia 006.jpg

The Italian Macs were saw like the Titan series, DE50, PM380, PM430, PM4700, etc. in the more conventional vertical cylinder models with plastic fuel and oil tanks as part of the frame. I don't think any of the Euro Macs like Belgian's 1-63L or 375? (the Euro version of the Super 250) came out of Italy, strictly the Belgium based operation.

Mark

SP80 Auto Oiler help
I'm working away fixing up my SP80. I have it running nicely thanks to Warped5.
I could use a little help with the auto oiler which is not working. The manual oiler works great. I've gone through the 10 series oiler threads that I could find.
All passages are clear. The check ball and spring in the bottom of the pump are free and look to be in great shape.
I believe the piston assy is the issue. It looks like the remnants of the old ring, piston (pn 86182) is stuck on the bottom of the piston assy pump, (pn 60260A).
The ring that's in there is a fiber washer and is not attached to the piston pump.
I'm guessing that I need to get a new ring, piston. There is also mention in the IPL of a Teflon washer. Does anyone have a pic of this or dimensions so I can make one up?
Here are some pics.

Thanks
DSCF2171.jpg

sp80 oil pump 007.jpg sp80 oil pump 005.jpg sp80 oil pump 004.jpgsp80 oil pump 008.jpg

Yep, the phenolic disc is broken in two. It needs the disc and little o ring replaced. Or the whole auto oiler if that's easier to find.

Mark, give that fellow in the picture a haircut (leave the beard) and slide those biceps down to the forearms and you would have a likeness of my father in his latter days.

Tim, pre-hack there were some postings by someone who was making oiler pistons from aluminum. I believe it was in this thread. If I can find it I'll post it.

Ron

Last edited:
Those of ya that PM'd me about the oiler discs, they went out with the mail lady this morning. I apologize for taking so long to get them out, but it's been a bit hectic around here lately.

More can be made about any time if there's a need for them.

Tim, there may have been a separate thread but here is the guy behind the replacements. Ron

Maybe someone did, he sent some of those aluminum check valves to me. They work great.

I'd be afraid that an aluminum oiler piston would damage the plastic oiler.

I likely dreamed it. I doubt the oiler would be hurt as the plastic oilers have a metal sleeve. At least mine do. Only found that out after I asserted that mine were all plastic. Ron

Joey, I may have dreamed it. Anyway, my plastic oilers have a metal sleeve so I doubt there would be any problem. I only found that out after exerting here that my oilers were all plastic. :oops: Ron

Latest posts

Back