McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is somewhat of a follow up to the "Shirtless Sawyer" video post from yesterday. I was unable to upload to Youtube for some reason, but now my try was successful. YouTube offers much better quality video and the ability to embed, so I will post again for you fellas.

If you remember this is the 1-76 I rebuilt a couple months back, thinking rings were all I needed I found out it had the wrong piston in it, so that was replaced with a thick ring piston. New seals and bearings, new gaskets and a cleaning. Pulls 150psi compression and I've only had about 2 tanks through it. It's running a 31" Mac bar, thanks to Mark H. for that, 3/8 chain, 7pin sprocket. Running pretty good.

[video=youtube_share;z7AktnoKlzU]http://youtu.be/z7AktnoKlzU[/video]

Chris

Bad news, good news.

The bad
The PM800 had eaten a broken exhaust bolt, dinged the piston. Pics later.
I took the piston to the guy I bought it from, the look in his eyes said he knew it already.

The good.
He gave me a big pile of parts saws. I found two nice 82cc motors and one that shows wear but should run.
Also in the pile was a PM80 and a PM55, both started and run, they will need some attention.
As an afterthought, he gave me a D44, it is mostly there, shows it has been in the weather some.

Bad news, good news.

The bad
I took the piston to the guy I bought it from, the look in his eyes said he knew it already.

The good.
He gave me a big pile of parts saws. I found two nice 82cc motors and one that shows wear but should run.
Also in the pile was a PM80 and a PM55, both started and run, they will need some attention.
As an afterthought, he gave me a D44, it is mostly there, shows it has been in the weather some.

Emp,

It sucks when you damage something, but atleast you were able to procure some new parts for it.

After I had just finished the build with the 1-76 I was doing some high speed carb adjustments and the throttle was binding up. I reckoned it was the linkage getting jammed up. Turned out that it some little piece of metal had gotten into the airbox and got hung up on the throttle butterfly. That saw has some serious suction going thru it. I'm glad the saw didn't decide to eat it, would've caused some major indigestion. I have quite a bit of time, effort and money invested in that thing.

Chris

This is somewhat of a follow up to the "Shirtless Sawyer" video post from yesterday. I was unable to upload to Youtube for some reason, but now my try was successful. YouTube offers much better quality video and the ability to embed, so I will post again for you fellas.

If you remember this is the 1-76 I rebuilt a couple months back, thinking rings were all I needed I found out it had the wrong piston in it, so that was replaced with a thick ring piston. New seals and bearings, new gaskets and a cleaning. Pulls 150psi compression and I've only had about 2 tanks through it. It's running a 31" Mac bar, thanks to Mark H. for that, 3/8 chain, 7pin sprocket. Running pretty good.

[video=youtube_share;z7AktnoKlzU]http://youtu.be/z7AktnoKlzU[/video]

Chris

Cant rep you for it, but it looks great. Its a great feeling when you efforts are rewarded with a running saw:cheers:.

Bad news, good news.

The bad

The good.

Is the cylinder salvageable? Although they dont seem to be that common pistons seem to come up every now and again. Hopefully it can be rebuilt.

I think I would like to get one of these to. More air and fuel cant be bad for a saw right;). I have found a body for a decent price, but have not pulled the trigger because I didnt know whether they used the same diaphragm and pump parts. Carbs are still my weakest point. Still have a lot to learn with them. When I get one to work its usually on accident LOL.

IMHO Brian, I think i would wait for a good HL63 carb.
Cheaper to buy, Cheaper to rebuild and seem to have
less issues. I only used the 48890 carbs looking for a
bit more power but not really sure if got it.
An engine will only benefit from a larger carb if it can
use it. You can over carb an engine as well and lose
power. The 797 might be ok with it but i thing the 890
would suffer.

Lee

The tune up kit is the same as the other flatbacks.

That carb was used on the smaller displacement kart motors, it "should" run it. If you could find one with the high side booster venturi intact, it may help, but every one I've seen appears to have had it ground off.

The problem is the 90 bend at the tank and the rediculously constrictive reed assembly on the saws. 103cc can run a 48890, but it has to suck through a straw to do it and that's the rub.

HL-63 or an HL-19 with the appropriate throttle linkage arm would be a lot less headache, though and probably cheaper in the long run.

I'm just hoping all of you other shirtless sawyers aren't going to start showing your underwear, too. :msp_tongue:

And no, Mark, you don't need to post that picture, again. :msp_mad:

The tune up kit is the same as the other flatbacks.

That carb was used on the smaller displacement kart motors, it "should" run it. If you could find one with the high side booster venturi intact, it may help, but every one I've seen appears to have had it ground off.

The problem is the 90 bend at the tank and the rediculously constrictive reed assembly on the saws. 103cc can run a 48890, but it has to suck through a straw to do it and that's the rub.

HL-63 or an HL-19 with the appropriate throttle linkage arm would be a lot less headache, though and probably cheaper in the long run.

Makes sense. When I was assembling the 890 it looked like someone had a grinder in there to open it up, but I cant see where they enlarged it by much. For now I will try the Tilly to get it going. And maybe later down the road get the 48890 and try it out.

The 800's cylinder looks ok, other than thread marks at the "V" on the exhaust port. The chrome seems to have escaped damage. I have two 82cc motors that still have machining marks on the pistons. I think I will put the 800 together with the all but new motor I got last May and build a saw for me with the other motor. I haven't gotten a look at the PM80 that runs or the PM55, too many other things to do, will need to wait for next weekend.
Also in the parts pile, along with ten pounds of crap, are drive-side covers, one has the chainbrake intact, with handle.

You might also want to look at the starter. Mine was full of oxidation and when I freed the starter that was all it needed. In the meantime I would put a bit of WD40 in the plug hole.

Tried some WD40 and still couldn't turn it over with a ratchet on the crank bolt..dropped some 2 stroke oil in both the plug hole and exhaust over night and was able to break it free the next day :rock: . It turns over nice and smooth, but I'm still going to pull it apart to ensure there's nothing nasty in there that's going to cause it to grenade.

I'm just hoping all of you other shirtless sawyers aren't going to start showing your underwear, too. :msp_tongue:

And no, Mark, you don't need to post that picture, again. :msp_mad:

The Shirtless Sawyers consist of The Duke, The Emperor and Mr. Bow Saw, we don't answer to anyone.

I believe the focus should be not on our attire, or lack thereof, but on the heavy iron and magnesium we pack. The weight needs to be saved some where.

:laugh:

Duke

The .030" over piston for the 790 arrived... it's a thick ring piston, with the rings, and came in a nice little yellow box...

So, next step will be getting that parts saw here... I am still waiting for some news on that from a member on here.

Once all of the parts are laid out, and the parts saw is here to fill in missing hardware, etc. then I will send the cylinder off to be bored out.

While that is being done, I will likely be sandblasting and painting the tank, tins, recoil/clutch cover, etc.

This, as I previously mentioned, will likely be the most expensive and prettiest saw I will have... well, until I get old and have lots of disposable income...

I spent a few minutes on the "Big Box SP105" last night and think I have tracked the automatic oiler problem down to the tiny spring on the check valve. It appeared to be broken and somewhat short, so I stretched it out a bit and tried it again, low and behold the saw started pumping oil automatically. Still seems to be low volume, but at least now I know that I need to find a new spring.

I went ahead and put a 24" bar on it since I had a spare up on the wall. I may try to put this one in some wood just to see how it will pull, if I can only find some wood to cut.

189719d1309959112-dscn4609-jpg

189720d1309959114-dscn4610-jpg

189721d1309959115-dscn4611-jpg

189722d1309959116-dscn4612-jpg

And finally, the modified Stihl boot that was on the inake when I pulled this saw apart. The numbers on the boot are 1125 51368-3-2-2.

189723d1309959117-dscn4613-jpg

Mark

Finally got a real MAC

A friend from Texas came north to visit. Along with him arrived a MAC 10-10 automatic for me! It is missing the lower part between the rear handle and the case and there is a threaded hole in the side of the cylinder with nothing in it (above the muffler if you can call it that). Otherwise, no cracks or corrosion as it is covered in "preservative". :rock:

The brace should be easy to find as there were a lot of 10 Series saws built. I don't have first hand experience with all of them but I expect the part from any saw other than the anti-vibe models (CP, PM, SP) can be made to work.

There were two basic styles of mufflers, the flat and the square. The flat was...flat and did not utilize any mounting screws other than the two fixint ig over the exhaust port. The square muffler had a portion sticking up from the flat base that was fastened to the cylinder with that extra threaded hole you see.

Look back a page or two at the photo's of my 3-10 for an illustration of the square muffler.

Mark

10-10 brace

A friend from Texas came north to visit. Along with him arrived a MAC 10-10 automatic for me! It is missing the lower part between the rear handle and the case and there is a threaded hole in the side of the cylinder with nothing in it (above the muffler if you can call it that). Otherwise, no cracks or corrosion as it is covered in "preservative". :rock:

Here is a link to Chainsawr.com for that brace you need.

Thanks guys, chainsawr only wants $4 for the part! Now to find an IPL...

[email protected]

Mark, I see the "other" muffler in your pics. That explains the threaded boss not being used. So the handle brace is the only issue so far.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back