McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Full chisel" doesn't have anything to do with the tooth sequence ('full comp', 'semi-skip', or 'full skip'). Two separate things. "Full chisel" is also just called "chisel", and has to do with the cutter type. What length bar are you going to run? On that 250, I'd suggest full comp chain in either chisel or semi-chisel.

Thanks for the semi full comp info... I want to run a longer bar than the 20" that came with the saw.

Anyone know of a .404 pitch, .63 gage, 3/8" slot bars that fit the 250?

Thanks for the semi full comp info... I want to run a longer bar than the 20" that came with the saw.

Anyone know of a .404 pitch, .63 gage, 3/8" slot bars that fit the 250?

You can modify large Husky mount bars to fit. Here's Ckelp's thread covering the subject:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/213131.htm

You can also modify Stihl bars to work if you make spacers for your bar studs (or modify one of the Stihl-to-Husky adapters available from Baileys and others).

PM800 Ramblings

I had mixed feelings about going back to cut today after missing two Saturdays in a row due to holidays and rain as it seems that I can get out of shape three times as fast as I can get in shape. Wasn't bad though. I put a gallon or so through the PM800 bucking a nice 30" dbh white oak that had already been topped and trimmed. No serious problems but I had to keep a screwdriver on hand as the bucking spike continued to come loose despite a Mac lock nut on one screw and anti-vibe on the other. Post-mortem exam - I believe a metric nut or two were mixed in with my 10/24s causing the one anti-vibe screw to come lose due to the slightly larger nut size and the other was a result of worn threads; we'll see on the next trip. Also had the handle bar bolt vibrate out but I found it and all is snug and well. I also noticed that my NOS rear av mount has torn already. Who knows how old a NOS part is anyway - one of the reasons I would really like a cross reference for the av mounts and the ten series seals. Ron

The mag purist among us should skip my PS.

PS I had occassion to appreciate a plastic handled saw after I knocked a 362 off a six foot high shelf today. I couldn't catch it as I was hanging on to the saw that snagged it. I was able too slow the first two feet or so of the fall by wedging the saw between the shelves and me, but it still hit the concrete hard. It is a little scarred now but nothing broke. I'm fairly sure the drop would have broken the handle on one of my Macs.

I had mixed feelings about going back to cut today after missing two Saturdays in a row due to holidays and rain as it seems that I can get out of shape three times as fast as I can get in shape. Wasn't bad though. I put a gallon or so through the PM800 bucking a nice 30" dbh white oak that had already been topped and trimmed. No serious problems but I had to keep a screwdriver on hand as the bucking spike continued to come loose despite a Mac lock nut on one screw and anti-vibe on the other. Post-mortem exam - I believe a metric nut or two were mixed in with my 10/24s causing the one anti-vibe screw to come lose due to the slightly larger nut size and the other was a result of worn threads; we'll see on the next trip. Also had the handle bar bolt vibrate out but I found it and all is snug and well. I also noticed that my NOS rear av mount has torn already. Who knows how old a NOS part is anyway - one of the reasons I would really like a cross reference for the av mounts and the ten series seals. Ron

Did you get a copy of the 82cc cross reference sheet I made?

Did you get a copy of the 82cc cross reference sheet I made?

Yes. I haven't looked at it lately but does it cross reference to industry standard products? I thought it was just a Mac to Mac cross reference. I believe the anti-vibes may have come from industry as opposed to a special design. I found some that are pretty close in dimensions but wasn't sure about the load ratings. I don't know whether the ten series Mac seals are special or are an industry standard size - everyone seems to post take your old seal to your local seal and bearing store - to my knowledge my little town doesn't have a seal and bearing store so internet is where I need to shop. Ron

Yes. I haven't looked at it lately but does it cross reference to industry standard products? I thought it was just a Mac to Mac cross reference. I believe the anti-vibes may have come from industry as opposed to a special design. I found some that are pretty close in dimensions but wasn't sure about the load ratings. I don't know whether the ten series Mac seals are special or are an industry standard size - everyone seems to post take your old seal to your local seal and bearing store - to my knowledge my little town doesn't have a seal and bearing store so internet is where I need to shop. Ron

That would be fantastic if the AV isolators for these saws turn out to be some 'standard' industrial item that we could source elsewhere. Paying $20-$25 apiece for 30+ year old NOS rubber mounts that may be deteriorated (and fail) isn't so hot. If 'fresh' mounts could be had for the same cost or less..............then that'd be sweet indeed.:cheers:

Oh, understand now. My list was only Mac parts.

That would be fantastic if the AV isolators for these saws turn out to be some 'standard' industrial item that we could source elsewhere. Paying $20-$25 apiece for 30+ year old NOS rubber mounts that may be deteriorated (and fail) isn't so hot. If 'fresh' mounts could be had for the same cost or less..............then that'd be sweet indeed.:cheers:

Shear Mounts View attachment 271693 Less than $16.00 Ron

Fantastic! Do they have models that match the Mac pieces? I don't have any OEM parts separate from the saws to take measurements of right now.

As long as they're as firm as (or firmer than) the OEM pieces, I'll be quite happy with them. The 'rebuilder' SP-81 needs all new mounts, and my 'runner' is getting soft on the front mount.

The mag purist among us should skip my PS.

PS I had occassion to appreciate a plastic handled saw after I knocked a 362 off a six foot high shelf today. I couldn't catch it as I was hanging on to the saw that snagged it. I was able too slow the first two feet or so of the fall by wedging the saw between the shelves and me, but it still hit the concrete hard. It is a little scarred now but nothing broke. I'm fairly sure the drop would have broken the handle on one of my Macs.

On your PS, Do not drop that saw again, you might not be able to see it but I am sure the plastic has been damaged. This is what happened to one of my plastic saws, first drop was off the 4 wheeler, everything looked great, next one came off the tail gate and it shattered. Maybe the first drop had something to do with it shattering maybe not either way it broke on the second fall.

Mac 10-10S

Hey I picked up a Mac 10-10S Barn find. I rebuilt carb runs great but cannot get idle below 3500 rpm.
Does anyone know what I should do next? Very nice saw original bar and even has oem plug in it.
I think it is original too. Very clean hardly no paint wear. Will be selling after I get things worked out what is it
worth? Thanks

Hey I picked up a Mac 10-10S Barn find. I rebuilt carb runs great but cannot get idle below 3500 rpm.
Does anyone know what I should do next? Very nice saw original bar and even has oem plug in it.
I think it is original too. Very clean hardly no paint wear. Will be selling after I get things worked out what is it
worth? Thanks

You know the rules around here ... didn't happen without pictures!

Fantastic! Do they have models that match the Mac pieces? I don't have any OEM parts separate from the saws to take measurements of right now.

As long as they're as firm as (or firmer than) the OEM pieces, I'll be quite happy with them. The 'rebuilder' SP-81 needs all new mounts, and my 'runner' is getting soft on the front mount.

They aren't the right size. Surely somone else makes them. I just can't find the manufacturer. Ron

On your PS, Do not drop that saw again, you might not be able to see it but I am sure the plastic has been damaged. This is what happened to one of my plastic saws, first drop was off the 4 wheeler, everything looked great, next one came off the tail gate and it shattered. Maybe the first drop had something to do with it shattering maybe not either way it broke on the second fall.

Thanks. Let's hope I slowed the fall enough. But your drops seem to be about the same height as the point I lost all control. Ron

Cutting today!

Went to see a lady today who has a large woodlot on her property. Been there before, but she had 'surprises' for us today. A couple of large trees on a couple of her cousin's properties ...

First, here's today's crew: Homelite 1130G -- Mac SP81 -- Mac 10-10S -- Mac 10-10A -- Shindaiwa 488 along as a backup.

GEDC1110_zps03c62132.jpg

We took down about 5 of these, a clump Silver Maple.

GEDC1085_zps5d985646.jpg

Then for the suprise, the left one was going to come down. The core was rotten up to about 4':

GEDC1101_zps8a949be8.jpg

The dry branches exploded all over the place:

GEDC1102_zpsdb3073cd.jpg

Here's the haul, we left another 5 -6 big rounds on the site. They'll be there when we go back in a couple weeks:

GEDC1106_zpsf85bf02e.jpg

The 10-10A went to the sidelines early. Wouldn't oil for nothing. The 10-10S and the SP81 did a lot of the cutting and really performed great once the got dialed in for the cold temps. First time I've done any extended cutting with the 10-10S and I can feel the difference from a 'normal' 10-10. 1130G video over in the Homie thread.

I'm Back

Got home from the road trip this evening.

First stop was rockcrusher402, some of the stuff I'd bought and paid for in October but he didn't want to try and deal with shipping. A few additional items were added today.

On the way back I stopped to see my friend Woody again, picked up another box of drums and a few miscellaneous other bits.

I also received the e-bay 10-10 with the SP60/80 special air filter cover and a 36" bar for my big Mac's during the week.

First group includes the 10-10, 797, Super 33, and the Entwistle 700 special, not a coffin in the back...
attachment.php

Just in case I need to do some serious weed/brush cutting
attachment.php

That is a 10 Series full wrap handle in the back ground, and a Tilloston HR along with a couple of HL's in the foreground
attachment.php

IPL's, Manuals, and a few more bits...
attachment.php

Mark

Went to see a lady today who has a large woodlot on her property. Been there before, but she had 'surprises' for us today. A couple of large trees on a couple of her cousin's properties ...

First, here's today's crew: Homelite 1130G -- Mac SP81 -- Mac 10-10S -- Mac 10-10A -- Shindaiwa 488 along as a backup.

GEDC1110_zps03c62132.jpg

We took down about 5 of these, a clump Silver Maple.

GEDC1085_zps5d985646.jpg

Then for the suprise, the left one was going to come down. The core was rotten up to about 4':

GEDC1101_zps8a949be8.jpg

The dry branches exploded all over the place:

GEDC1102_zpsdb3073cd.jpg

Here's the haul, we left another 5 -6 big rounds on the site. They'll be there when we go back in a couple weeks:

GEDC1106_zpsf85bf02e.jpg

The 10-10A went to the sidelines early. Wouldn't oil for nothing. The 10-10S and the SP81 did a lot of the cutting and really performed great once the got dialed in for the cold temps. First time I've done any extended cutting with the 10-10S and I can feel the difference from a 'normal' 10-10. 1130G video over in the Homie thread.

Looks like you had fun. Nice trailer BTW. Ron

Looks like you had fun. Nice trailer BTW. Ron

Thanks Ron, 'fun' is only the tip of the iceberg.

That trailer is my buddy's. Really nice, light and strong. I really like the 15" wheels, electric brakes and the ramp in the rear: Makes rolling up the large rounds not such a big deal.

Back