McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Randy, I bought a Alpina Pro 120 that was rebadged for Zip Penn
and it has the same chain you have. I believe my chain was also
made by Zip Penn. I had made a few cuts with it. It cut ok i guess
but i don't think it will out cut regular chisel chain. Not sure what
the purpose of the narrow cutters are.

Lee

.404 8t sprockets can be purchased from Discount Marine in Michigan, or Bryce has them on e-bay most of the time.

Mark

but but but mark, this one is a 7t:hmm3grin2orange:
I know you can still get them. i'm asking if it's useful to somebody. I don't need it as I have no interest in gear drives.:msp_tongue:

here's the deal. you must be a long time and respected member here. i'll send you the gear if you agree to put up a vid (a good one. not some smart phone crap. and not a next month or so deal. right away) of the saw cutting a proper sized log. i'm talking at least 40". nothing under that size is worth while cutting with a gd:msp_razz:
and it must be a mcculloch. and you must need the gear, not just want another one.
make sure it's the correct one for the saw you're going to use. I don't want to hear any excuses of it not fitting, saw won't run right or there's too much rain, etc., etc.. if you can't do it in short order, you send it to another respected member to get the vid made under the same conditions. except you wear flip flops.

Randy, I bought a Alpina Pro 120 that was rebadged for Zip Penn
and it has the same chain you have. I believe my chain was also
made by Zip Penn. I had made a few cuts with it. It cut ok i guess
but i don't think it will out cut regular chisel chain. Not sure what
the purpose of the narrow cutters are.

Lee

Speed maybe? It did cut slower that chisel chain for sure. It may have been an attempt to make a chain similar to skip/semi-skip as I've never seen it either.

Randy

895 in the House

Arrived yesterday, is rumored to be a good runner. Needs a few parts and bits, nothing too major. I know that a Super 797 and SP125 also recently arrived, but I've no aspirations of creating a 'new' Mac model as MacBob and Uncle Lee have done.

:cheers:

Edit: Saw came with a 31" Mac bar that will require a bit of repair and a loop of 1/2" chain with plenty of life left. Now off to the 'old mag' thread to beg for parts ...

Nearly forgot this: A HUGE 'THANK YOU' to AS member Clarkbug, who grabbed and shipped the saw to me! Thanks Scott!

Last edited:
Here is a 250 I recently finished. I bought the saw about 7 years ago as parts to use the Tillotson carburetor and throttle linkage on another McCulloch. This past Winter I started examining it and found excellent compression and a great looking piston and cylinder, but it wouldn't fire on spray. I traced the problem to a bad crank seal (mag side). This led to my purchase of another 250 parts saw to get a carb & linkage and the clutch cover. With a new breaker set, diaphragm, gaskets, and the used parts it runs again. The only cosmetic work I did was to repaint the handle black as it had been. This is one of the last of the 250's, having a model and serial tag attached under the air filer cover. I think RandyMac mentioned that the yellow top 250's like this were the best running of that series.

Here is a 250 I recently finished. I bought the saw about 7 years ago as parts to use the Tillotson carburetor and throttle linkage on another McCulloch. This past Winter I started examining it and found excellent compression and a great looking piston and cylinder, but it wouldn't fire on spray. I traced the problem to a bad crank seal (mag side). This led to my purchase of another 250 parts saw to get a carb & linkage and the clutch cover. With a new breaker set, diaphragm, gaskets, and the used parts it runs again.

Funny stuff! :) buying a parts saw to fix your parts saw seems to be very common here on AS. I've gotten caught in that trap as well. Congrats on the nice 250.
Jim

I'm in that spot now. Have 2 parts saws good comp but missing a few things. Since I've had my main saw die it's down to getting the parts saw running.

Arrived yesterday, is rumored to be a good runner. Needs a few parts and bits, nothing too major. I know that a Super 797 and SP125 also recently arrived, but I've no aspirations of creating a 'new' Mac model as MacBob and Uncle Lee have done.

:cheers:

Edit: Saw came with a 31" Mac bar that will require a bit of repair and a loop of 1/2" chain with plenty of life left. Now off to the 'old mag' thread to beg for parts ...

Nearly forgot this: A HUGE 'THANK YOU' to AS member Clarkbug, who grabbed and shipped the saw to me! Thanks Scott!

Glad to help out a fellow AS member. I told my wife I was doing it for some "Chainsaw Karma", and wouldnt you know it, the same day I picked up a 100cc saw of my very own (Ill avoid discussing here in the "yellow" thread.....)

Good luck with it Ted, I hope its everything that you were hoping it would be.

Also, looks like another member has a lot of vintage yellow in the Tradin' Post....

Question?

Here is a 250 I recently finished. I bought the saw about 7 years ago as parts to use the Tillotson carburetor and throttle linkage on another McCulloch. This past Winter I started examining it and found excellent compression and a great looking piston and cylinder, but it wouldn't fire on spray. I traced the problem to a bad crank seal (mag side). This led to my purchase of another 250 parts saw to get a carb & linkage and the clutch cover. With a new breaker set, diaphragm, gaskets, and the used parts it runs again. The only cosmetic work I did was to repaint the handle black as it had been. This is one of the last of the 250's, having a model and serial tag attached under the air filer cover. I think RandyMac mentioned that the yellow top 250's like this were the best running of that series.

What does the decal on the starter cover mean about retail sales in California? Clean air? What year of manufacture?

Ray

Jeff may be discharged tomorrow but will have to stay with us for a few days as he will not be able to fend for himself for a while yet. Good to have a mother that is still willing to care for her ailing kid...

I have been spending my free moments building a cabinet for my new mill drill. Update will come when I get my computer back.

Mark

McCulloch Chain

I uploaded a pic of two different McCulloch 1/2" pitch chains I have on saws. One is 508 chipper chain with 40 on the depth gauge which looks normal. The other is the one I have a question about. Is this a Pintail chain or is it just the style of the tooth of this particular chain type? It has SP 8 on the tooth and also 58 on the drive link. Is this some type of Super Pro chain? It's interesting with the protrusion off the tooth which is the only chain I have like this. Other Pintail chains I have seen were older and much more pronounced than this chain. Thoughts...

View attachment 313931

I know over the years McCulloch did develop there own chain patterns. There's not alot of info out there on original McCulloch branded chain. A guy I deal with here said they used Omark Carlton and later Oregon. Mark would prob have more info than me. But it's a good bet that they did develop a specific pro only chain line for certain saws. McCulloch was good for inhouse development.

What does the decal on the starter cover mean about retail sales in California? Clean air? What year of manufacture?

Ray

Ray, I was wondering if someone with a sharp eye would notice that decal. In relation to the saw, it means nothing. I removed it from a quite new pushmower and stuck it on the saw in humor. I think it was on the mower because its not CARB compliant for emissions. The McCulloch production book I have shows the 250 with serial number prefix 11 produced from 2/1968 to 4/1970. I believe this saw is from later in that period, owing to its serial of 20,000-something, while the parts saw is 10,000-something. The one difference in this and the parts saw I noticed is in the oiler button. The running saw's button is slightly different (ergonomic maybe?) and is like that used on the Super 250's.

Jeff may be discharged tomorrow but will have to stay with us for a few days as he will not be able to fend for himself for a while yet. Good to have a mother that is still willing to care for her ailing kid...

I have been spending my free moments building a cabinet for my new mill drill. Update will come when I get my computer back.

Mark

God is good and gracious. Ron

Jeff is home with us tonight and will be staying here for a week or so until he is really on the mend. Good spirits but still a lot of discomfort.

My computer won't let me visit the chainsaw forum yet, may be next week before I can get it back the the IT guys so no photos of the mill drill yet.

All the time a Ron, all the time.

Mark

Ray, I was wondering if someone with a sharp eye would notice that decal. In relation to the saw, it means nothing. I removed it from a quite new pushmower and stuck it on the saw in humor. I think it was on the mower because its not CARB compliant for emissions. The McCulloch production book I have shows the 250 with serial number prefix 11 produced from 2/1968 to 4/1970. I believe this saw is from later in that period, owing to its serial of 20,000-something, while the parts saw is 10,000-something. The one difference in this and the parts saw I noticed is in the oiler button. The running saw's button is slightly different (ergonomic maybe?) and is like that used on the Super 250's.

bet you a buck it has auto oil

Latest posts

Back