McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's up guys? I haven't been hanging here much lately but I thought I'd share a few pics from today.

Started a couple old yellers for some quick milling. A PM850 with a 36" .375 and a SP81 with a 20" .404. Had a good time...

3a2c759e51cb7e3bd1828433cdd700d3.jpg

Is it time to clean this filter!?
0cbb849cef6b2ba55191538bee1c3061.jpg

That is some amazing lumber. What are your plans for it?

We just stack it up and save it for projects.

Some has been used for my wood shed. Some of this will make Cedar Lattice to go around the porch. We made 3" thick oak counter tops for the work shop. I'll try to find some pics.

8be4bfc8f4b11d088f187a84369384ac.jpg

656ec54db7ccb85f5bb410418f9c5fa3.jpg

Guys would really appreciate any thoughts you have on this little mystery. I picked up my 740 today after a long round trip. This picture is the original owner Gary, holding the original manual, parts catalogue. Next to the saw is the oil canister from the combo oil/fuel tank (fuel container cracked about 30 years ago) and the Mcculloch file guide that came with the saw.
Now Gary was a really straight shooter and says that he got the saw new from a little town called Lucindale in South Australia in about 1965 - he says the saw is completely original. Now have a look, it has the starter on the left hand side and if you have a look at the video posted (gone into slo mo as my daughter was videoing!!) it has a odd "half" steel full wrap handle. Anyone that can shed any light would be really appreciated. My suspicion is that this was an export model of the saw, maybe an Australian special addition?

Back to post #25111 - I found a few photos of the yellow McCulloch fuel/oil can combination. I think these may have only been available in Australia as I am pretty sure that's where mine came from.

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

While I'm at it, here is another McCulloch fuel can that the Hosky brothers gave me.

IMG_5221.JPG

Remove the cap and the retractable spout pulls out.

IMG_5224.JPG

I am pretty sure this metal fuel can was an e-bay purchase as well.

IMG_5229.JPG

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_5224.JPG
    IMG_5224.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 9
Likewise from Ohio to everyone..., and hoping 2017 will finally be "The Year of the Yellow Saws" for me. I've acquired several over the years always thinking I'd get to them someday for the fun and gratification (and firewood cutting, and maybe a GTG or two of course), but always seemed to have something on the bench or otherwise in the way of being able to give them the attention and respect they deserved. As mentioned a few times, my SP81 is first on the list followed by a Super 250 in a box. Figure that'll more than get my feet wet for tackling a few of the large framers I've rescued, too. Also have a really nice PM800 just needing a basic teardown and clean-up and one of the oddball PM8000's needing a piston (at minimum). Then there are the Mini-Macs and a really nice PM6 I never could get quite right even after a carb rebuild and Mark hooking me up with a NOS fuel line and filter. And I can't forget the 610 I want to turn into a stumper, now can I? LOL. Still keeping an eye out for a decent PM850. And a 797 or 125 would be nice, but...

I've been pretty lucky in most of my Mac finds so far and can't complain. Was also lucky when I ran across this thread a few years ago with the wealth of knowledge and help you all so generously share.

Thank you, and cheers!

Back to post #25111 - I found a few photos of the yellow McCulloch fuel/oil can combination. I think these may have only been available in Australia as I am pretty sure that's where mine came from.
Mark

Thanks heaps Mark, as luck would have it there is another person locally that has the petrol can without the oil canister - our two will be reunited!!!

The throttle wire keeps slipping out of the trigger on my pro Mac 700. I am thinking I need a new trigger. The pin doesn't want to come out to replace it. Has anyone dealt with this problem before. My trigger isn't broken. I'm just thinking it may be worn. What should I do?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back