McCulloch Super Pro 81

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The SP81's have monster compression when they are in good condition. I ripped the starter handle on mine after yanking it without the decomp pushed in. IMO Husky/Stihl don't make saws as good as these today, last of a great generation of classic saws. Its a torque monster too. Pulling a 28" bar will be no problem. The SP 81 will be your second favorite from now on, guaranteed! Please show cleaned up pics, cant wait!

Last edited:
The SP81's have monster compression when they are in good condition. I ripped the starter handle on mine after yanking it without the decomp pushed in. IMO Husky/Stihl don't make saws as good as these today, last of a great generation of classic saws. Its a torque monster too. Pulling a 28" bar will be no problem. Please show cleaned up pics, cant wait!

Will do.

Heres a couple pics of mine:
Picture179.jpg

Picture236.jpg

Picture235.jpg

And with my daughter,
Picture021.jpg

No, I think west coast models didn't? Since my dad was a Mac engineer this saw was straight from the factory, no mods, stock since 1976. Just tuned by him. I havent touched the carb or settings since 1976. Never rebuilt, just 2 clutches recently, bar and chains. Once I let it sit for 3 years. Dumped the fuel, poured in fresh, started like 5th pull. Macs!

Last edited:
That's a great story. I have always been very sentimental about family possessions. Hang on to that saw. Is that a 28" bar. I have seen those on ebay. I guess that I will have to get me one of them.

Yes, this is a NOS one I found on Ebay, quite a looker.
I have new 20" and 2 loops of Carlton for it too.
Before that I had an worn 20" Oregon cheapo, the 28" is here to stay.
I have 2 good loops of Carlton semi-chisel for it, and my 357xp pulls a 20" like crazy, so my 3 saw plan for now until I get a 372 is the 357xp, SP81, and my 394xp.

Bringing My Own Thread Back From The Dead!

It has been a good while since I started this thread. Not long after, I partially disassembled the saw to inspect and clean everything before use. What I found is that the piston had some scoring on the exhaust side. It wasn't too bad because the saw still had right at 150psi compression. Because it had scoring, I didn't want to run it that way in fear that it might get worse. Since that the scoring wasn't too bad, I figured that the cylinder would clean up, and I could just replace the piston and rings. While looking for a new piston, I found a good deal on a like new cylinder and crankcase. So, I bought that and have been buying a buttload of NOS part also. I plan to do a full rebuild. And get this, the cylinder that I bought will accept the electronic ignition, so no points on this saw. I guess you could say that it will be a SP81E now. I also plan on porting this saw like I did when I built my NOS 7-10. Here are some pics of what I have to work with.

IMG_20110125_205839.jpg

IMG_20110125_205855.jpg

IMG_20110125_205905.jpg

IMG_20110125_205924.jpg

IMG_20110125_205933.jpg

IMG_20110125_205958.jpg

IMG_20110125_210056.jpg

Great minds thinks alike. Or is that simple minds??? When I gave my 850 project to promac610, I decided to rebuild my SP81E with my NOS cylinder and piston; the original is not scored but it looks like the plating is almost gone below the ports. I note you have the older 12 fin flywheel. I don't know which is best the 12 or the 24. I have the 24 but one of the fins is chipped. The only part I don't have is the air filter cover with the 81E decal, someone had substituted a PM800 cover. I purchased a nice 81 cover so that what I'll use.

I am very much interested in your porting so I'll be following your posts.

Thanks in advance. Ron

I note you have the older 12 fin flywheel. I don't know which is best the 12 or the 24. I have the 24 but one of the fins is chipped.

I didn't know that there were two different flywheels. I will have to go look at all my spares and see if I have one of the 24 fin flywheels.

Back