Mice!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Anyone have trouble with mice? I cranked up the splitter this afternoon to see chewed up paper come out of the engine cowling. Darned mice had build a nice bed in there. I had to take the cowling off and clean all the mess off the cylinder before running it.

Ian

My city has a rat infestation problem. They came out and advised everyone and strangely enough, the city had no worries about woodpiles on concrete. The ordinance is to elevate firewood 18" off of dirt, mainly to be able to inspect under the piles for ratholes. According to them, rats don't live in woodpiles but they burrow under them. I elevate the piles anyways.

Bummer that now you have to check everywhere for their infernal nests. Sounds like at least they didn't wreck the splitter, that's good.

Mine just let themselves into the house and raid my pantry ! :confused:

I hear ya have the same problem my self, have one hell of a trap line going, will have a nice pair of gloves by the end of the month if I can get enough tooth picks together to stretch the hides and get them ready to have them tanned by winter!.....from what I have found mice really dont like red pepper so in the winter or any other times I have a engine sitting around I will heavily sprinkle it.. or douse it. it just blows away or burns up quick. afte it is started. sometimes I will feed a bit into the muffler. sometimes I wish I could have a carpet of the #### in the house to keep the little bastards away!....

On a related note.......... last winter I'm up in the crawlspace (attic) above the kitchen with an electrician-friend-of-the-family...... removing some old knob & tube. I come across a decent sized trap....... CHAINED to the rafter (likely been there fifty years). I sez......... how big must the mouse be that they had to cain the trap to the rafters?????????? :jawdrop::jawdrop:

Here kitty kitty....

I've had no mouse problems as long as I keep a good dual purpose indoor/outdoor cat around. I used to trap 10 or more a month in the winter when they move inside, got a cat, and now the traps are retired.

Had one make a nest on the head of the Wisconsin on my splitter,fired it up and fried him.(no idea it was there until i smelled somethin').
My Lab's will move split wood one piece at a time to get to mice/rats.
It kind of sucks when you stack and find your pile messed up fun to watch though.
Rumor has it,Dryer sheets(softener) are supposed to keep them out of your vehicles?
Just tried that one today.(time will tell).
Another on Mouse/Rat control that WORKS. 5 gallon bucket,drill 2 hole's across from each other on top.(paper towel cardboard) in the middle peanut butter or glue bird seed,insert a dowel through towel cardboard on the bucket filled with 1/3 water/ or antifreeze for winter (NOT IF YOU HAVE PETS).
Put a ramp so they to the get to the bait.
The mouse/rat will go for the bait their weight will spin them off on the water.
(they can swim,but not forever!),5 buckets=150+ per year.
2 cats also don't know how many they kill?.
Cats like to bring Mice/baby Rattlers in the house to show you they are cool!
(through the dog door)fun to step on in the AM when you have to get up to take a leak!
Mark
P.S I live in the mountains and on a river.What the coyotes/eagles/hawk/dogs/cats don't get are my prob's.(NO RODENTS HERE)

Last edited:
Here kitty kitty....

I've had no mouse problems as long as I keep a good dual purpose indoor/outdoor cat around. I used to trap 10 or more a month in the winter when they move inside, got a cat, and now the traps are retired.

Ha! I have a POS good for nuthin cat. It is the dumbest laziest cat I have ever seen. If the kids didnt like it so much I would get rid of it. I have had good mousers in the past but they met their demise at the road.
Anyway,good thing you seen the nest oming out. My neighbor ruined an engine like yours from overheating it. The nest blocked airflow.:cheers:

They were a pain, getting into my lawn mower in the shed. Now I don't see as many. I recommend those glue boards. Prop a piece of board against a wall to make a tunnel. Then put one of those glue boards against the wall in the tunnel. Also, if you are feeding the birds, re-think it. Mice are drawn to the feed.

The ONLY thing that keeps OUR cat from running away is that it does kill anything smaller than her.

Opossum or Racoons

This spring when the top of my stacked wood was still covered, I found a opossum nested up under my cover. Anyone else have to deal with opossum or coons?

Mothballs are supposed to be good to keep mice from woodpiles, I find the rats nest under the pile between the pallet and the ground.
Last year the rats gnawed away under the concrete slab and nested in the polystyrene under the shed! I had to pump some old plaster into the hole to stop em.

I just dump the cat food back in the bag after my wife or son puts out a bowl for the barn kitties (adoptend strays).

They bring me offerings fairly often. Whole bodies. I'd be happier just having to clean up a disembodied tail.

The fact that they're not eating what they kill suggests we're still feeding them too much.

Had one make a nest on the head of the Wisconsin on my splitter,fired it up and fried him.(no idea it was there until i smelled somethin').
My Lab's will move split wood one piece at a time to get to mice/rats.
It kind of sucks when you stack and find your pile messed up fun to watch though.
Rumor has it,Dryer sheets(softener) are supposed to keep them out of your vehicles?
Just tried that one today.(time will tell).
Another on Mouse/Rat control that WORKS. 5 gallon bucket,drill 2 hole's across from each other on top.(paper towel cardboard) in the middle peanut butter or glue bird seed,insert a dowel through towel cardboard on the bucket filled with 1/3 water/ or antifreeze for winter (NOT IF YOU HAVE PETS).
Put a ramp so they to the get to the bait.
The mouse/rat will go for the bait their weight will spin them off on the water.
(they can swim,but not forever!),5 buckets=150+ per year.
2 cats also don't know how many they kill?.
Cats like to bring Mice/baby Rattlers in the house to show you they are cool!
(through the dog door)fun to step on in the AM when you have to get up to take a leak!
Mark
P.S I live in the mountains and on a river.What the coyotes/eagles/hawk/dogs/cats don't get are my prob's.(NO RODENTS HERE)

You can put styrofoam packies in your bucket instead of water or antifreeze.

We used to leave the lid off the chicken scratch can in the barn once in a while. Come out in the morning and there would be 4 or 5 mice in the can. Just throw the cat in and leave. The chicken scratch just wasn't a hard enough surface for mice to jump out of.

one time mice made a nest in the exhaust can of my GSXR. I couldn't figure out what that nasty smell was until I found the burnt nest and baby mice in there.

Latest posts

Back