More Stihl Saws to be made in Germany than before

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Found this press release on Stihl site:

http://www.stihl.com/isapi/default.asp?contenturl=/unternehmen/presse/tagespresse/621.htm

Edit, This URL seems to default to a chain article, so the text is excerpted below:

STIHL transfers production and again improves employment situation in Germany

The STIHL Group will be transferring production from its Brazilian factory to Germany in order to secure jobs at the founding company. In the course of the coming year the production of about 50,000 chain saws will be moved to the Waiblingen plants in Baden-Württemberg and maintain employment there.
STIHL makes use of the advantages of having its own worldwide manufacturing network. Owing to its strong currency, Brazil has lost some of its competitiveness on export markets. This means that the option of using German plants has become more attractive.
STIHL chairman Dr. Bertram Kandziora stresses: “In taking this step the company is once again demonstrating its commitment to Germany and securing jobs here.” The company had already transferred the production of some 100,000 powerheads from the U.S. and Brazil to Germany in 2009 in the interest of job security.

I guess it's unlikely that we'll start seeing more German saws, as I believe the VA plant has surplus manufacturing capabilities. Have dealers heard anything?

Last edited:
sounds good. Germany is a very efficient country.

My guess is will be the same everything up to 362 made here, 441, 460, 660, 880 madfe in germany. To me it doesnt matter where its made, german made same quality as american made stihl. Just made in different country. heck I have a hs45 hedge trimmer that was made in china, same quality as a german made stihl saw.

Why aren't north american companies a little more patriotic

Patriotism has nothing to do with it.

It's almost impossible to fire workers in Germany by law and because of the strong labor unions. (I worked in Germany for a US Corporation for several years, so I know from experience). If sales are down Stihl just fires the work force in third world countries like Brazil and the US, where there is no worker protection, to balance production capacity with sales. Problem solved.

Good to hear that you strong anti-union conservatives now have seen the light!

Alan

It's almost impossible to fire workers in Germany by law and because of the strong labor unions. (I worked in Germany for a US Corporation for several years, so I know from experience). If sales are down Stihl just fires the work force in third world countries like Brazil and the US, where there is no worker protection, to balance production capacity with sales. Problem solved.

Alan

Why are American companies not more patriotic?

Because the CEO's want to make 20 million per year and pay their VP's one million dollar bonuses.

Have to send jobs to India, China, and other off shore countries to do that.

Since Corporate America owns the Federal Government they get away with it.

Check out the Wall Street Bankers.:deadhorse:

Stihl is a German company, so for them Germany is more patriotic.

A while ago the moved some bar production from Germany to the US, so it doesn't look too unfair that they move some saw production back to Germany.......

Last edited:

Alan

Are you saying that a strong union would have protected the Brazilian workers that are being laid off so German workers can keep their jobs?

At the end of the day if nobody is buying the product it won't matter who has a union, because the jobs are going to go away. Look at Government Motors if you think a strong union is so patriotic.

Mr. HE:cool:

Why are American companies not more patriotic?

Because the CEO's want to make 20 million per year and pay their VP's one million dollar bonuses.

Have to send jobs to India, China, and other off shore countries to do that.

Since Corporate America owns the Federal Government they get away with it.

Check out the Wall Street Bankers.:deadhorse:

It is not that american companys are not patriotic. They work under the (at least for now) capitalist system. They are willing to make profits at all costs and with NO loyalties to the average american worker. Look at what is going on in japan. They are starting to farm out prodution to china for the simple fact that they have a aging work force that is not being replaced. And labor costs that keep growing a unsustainable rate.

The unions here in the america have killed off most of the factory jobs. Instead of allowing companys to become more efficient and allow for labor saving technology and practices to be used. The unions fight tooth and nail to "save" their jobs and stifle innovations that would allow american companys to maybe keep jobs here. Look at what the unions did to the state of michigan! Instead of working with the auto manufacturers to become lean and mean to compete with foreign auto manufacturers. They fought with management for outrageous pay and grandiose health benefits.

As for the federal government, the current joker in the whitehouse HATES capitalism with a unfettered passion. He see's it as the root of all evil that needs to be exterminated! The 'bamster" is a dyed in the wool communist.
His so called saving of GM and chrysler was pay back to the unions buddy. I did not do it for any other reason.

I created a **** storm that completely got this thread off topic and I want to apologize. Guys lets talk about chainsaws and move political discussions to the political forum. A political conversation just isn't going to end well here.

Because North Americans (American or Canadian) don't like to help eachother out. Its every man for himself unless the other man has something you want. Its not politics, its greed.

Overall I think you guys are being a little hard on American companies. I know of many that have done everything they can to keep their workforce and make their products here. Some ended up folding, but they never sent production overseas.

I know of two specific cases where state tax laws killed them, they were competing fine and then the state decided to change how it applied an existing tax law. The new taxes meant they could not compete and they had to shut down.

Mr. HE:cool:

The unions here in the america have killed off most of the factory jobs. Instead of allowing companys to become more efficient and allow for labor saving technology and practices to be used. The unions fight tooth and nail to "save" their jobs and stifle innovations that would allow american companys to maybe keep jobs here. 1. Look at what the unions did to the state of michigan! Instead of working with the auto manufacturers to become lean and mean to compete with foreign auto manufacturers. They fought with management for outrageous pay and grandiose health benefits.

1. That is truely a sorry situation. But as far as I understand the US car manufacturers love producing BIG cars that are so popular that they can export them worldwide in horendous numbers that they are making fantastic profits. I would like to exclude Ford from this.

Don't want to start a political debate.

Back