Moving logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavefreak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So how do you all move logs? I could have had a 12' x 24" white birch log if I could have moved it. I've seen some pics around here of old trucks loaded til the springs are maxed. That strikes me as a good way to have a trooper pull me over. I am likely to haul only one log at a time, so I thinking a trailer. But given the weight, it would probably need brakes, no? Block and tackle to get it up on the trailer for now.

I've carried 12 foot lots in my truck bed, but only on local dirt roads where there are no cops. The hard part is getting the log into the truck.

A flatbed trailer, similar to what Deeker posted on another thread, is the logical tool. You would want to set it up with removable side rails to keep the logs from rolling out, plus strap the logs down pretty tight.

This is one way to load logs but kind of a pain. This was back with my old truck and a trailer from work.
attachment.php

This is my new set up. Although not nearly as nice as backwoods boom truck it gets it done.
attachment.php

I have posted with the truck and a large log on back--looksw way overloaded, but I only pick the log up and back up the trailer and then use the truck to unload and also load the sawmill. Normal drive with a large log attached to the back is 30 yards. Here is the way I go down the road.---works great! (Pecan salvaged from the burn pile)
attachment.php

How much is a trailer like that? Used. My father in law has a Ford truck I'm going to try to buy from him. Think it's an '89. 4x4, long bed. Gas guzzling V8.

So how do you all move logs?

It all depends on how far i have to move them...

Sometimes i can skid the log all the way to the mill,

standard.jpg

Other times i par-buckle them onto (or off as in the pict.) a trailor i built,

standard.jpg

Or just load and unload any way that i can!

standard.jpg

But, mostly i use a wagon "running gear" to move logs,

standard.jpg

They are cheap, and will haul HUGE amounts of weight. This running gear is rated for 20,000 pounds!

standard.jpg

Anyway, with a smaller trailor, you just make more trips, and you will get the job done!

Rob

As long as their pulled by a tractor here in Ct., you won't get hassled. They have no lights or brakes. You need something pretty substantial to keep a loaded one from running over you on a long downhill grade.

This is one way to load logs but kind of a pain. This was back with my old truck and a trailer from work.
attachment.php

This is my new set up. Although not nearly as nice as backwoods boom truck it gets it done.
attachment.php

Great pics. Similar to how we do it. Except, I use four inch dia steel pipes to roll the log on. It requires a lot less pulling to move it forward.

Kevin

These are small "firewood" log's, but I haul to the mill the same way.
HaulingLogs003.jpg

This is what I use to get them loaded.
HaulingLogs017.jpg

This is how I get them off.
HaulingLogs011.jpg

I used to parbuckle, then I built a pivoting A frame on the back of a flatbed trailer. I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age. ;)

Andy

Rob, I just went the running gear route this past spring - 25 loads so far on it - Works great as long as you don't have to pull up a steep dirt grade, as you'll spin out.

Actually, i've NEVER spun out with my tractor, even when pulling big loads up "sugar sand hill". And, it's steeper than it looks in this picture...

standard.jpg

Also, i like to keep my loads as "low" as possible, and that's why i never put a wood frame on my running gears...

You CAN get a new running gear with brakes and lights, i could have gotten it on mine, if i wanted it.

Rob

4wd tractor Rob? The wood frame, It takes a beating loading & unloading logs. I'd rather ding it up than the gear. The frame & the height also get you above & out over the tires, without which you only have about what 4 1/2 ft between the tires?

Small LogRite arch, unloading my trailer.

001-5.jpg

003-5.jpg

And their ATV arch, with the grizzly 660 pulling off an eight footer.

005-7.jpg

007-9.jpg

008-6.jpg

And backing one off.

007-8.jpg

Latest posts

Back