Moving logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the services of a neighbour with the right tools.
He have a Valtra 6300 pulling a Palms 12 ton wagon with a 6.5 m crane
Here is from last year with a load of firewood and to get up the last steep slope he hooks up a John deere 6610.

attachment.php

:cry:Man I wish I had "the right tools" sometimes. But I get by with whatever's handy, and a little redneck engineering most of the time.

For years I came up with unique ways to pick up logs and even talked about how innovative I was in moving big logs without heavy equipment, but eventually it takes its toll on your body. Finally, I purchased a used log loader & trailer and my world changed overnight. It can pick up 30 inch logs or just about everything I ask it to do. It can be pulled by my truck when needed and has articulated axles on all wheels for mobility. I can't imagine I was so dumb for so long and I only wished I had come to this decision sooner. This investment is just as important as my other major purchases and over the long run probably the one that keeps me going for many more years to come.

Keystep hit the nail on the head.
We use what's handy untill we can get what's needed, but a wise man will get what's needed as soon as possible. As I posted earlier, I used to parbuckle and then graduated to an A-frame device, and finally a tractor. I'm working on a loader kinda like keystep's, but I can't decide what size truck to put it on.
Anyway, the easier you can make this kind of work, the more your body will thank you later on. My dad told me that, and I wish I had listened to him sooner.
An investment in equipment to make your job easier is not only an investment in your productivity, but an investment in your well being.

Andy

Think this counts as trailering sin?

31,640 on the scale. That was 10 tons of pine.

2009-07-20004.jpg

Wow...look at the camber on the rear wheel....appears to be tilting in quite a bit...might be a photo deceit. Your gross weight is an awful lot - I remember coming out of the scales with close to 25k with a trailer full of clay about 10 years ago and thought I'd never do that again...powerstroke could take it but the drive train (6 spd) didn't like too much thrust.

KeyStep - couldn't find if Metavic has a US store anywhere? What size is yours and mind if I ask the approx. cost? Looks well built...I like it.

Wow...look at the camber on the rear wheel....appears to be tilting in quite a bit...might be a photo deceit. Your gross weight is an awful lot - I remember coming out of the scales with close to 25k with a trailer full of clay about 10 years ago and thought I'd never do that again...powerstroke could take it but the drive train (6 spd) didn't like too much thrust.

The wheels do that on a trailer as you turn with a heavy load. Actually it's just the tire. The wheels stays straight.

I had just made a big loop around that loader to where I parked.

We loaded 4 pieces of the 5 that were there but ended up taking 1 of those off. Ended up with this: (All red oak)

2009-08-28014.jpg

2009-08-28015.jpg

here are pictures of my truck hauling the forklift into our new place for the first time. The trailer is 5k and the forklift is 11k so it is probably a little heavy for the 14k axles. The tires where pretty hot when I got there after the 30 min drive. I don't know if that is a consern or not but I could hold my hand on them for about 10 seconds befor they were too hot to the touch.

attachment.php

attachment.php

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=108361&stc=1&d=1252378838

Good point.

I hauled my 11,000 lb forklift over 200 miles with out the tires getting above a good warm feel to them. Check the pressure. I was running 60 psi in mine.

Tire pressure is real important. I don't know what tire you're running, but I run 10 ply bias tires on one trailer. Max pressure is 75 psi, and if you're hauling max loads you need max pressure. This trailer is rated at 14K and weighs 5200 lbs. and I haul my 12000 lb skidder on it regularly.
The tire's on my dump trailer are 10 ply rated radials. They call for 80 psi. so that's what they get.
It's amazing what that extra 15 to 20 psi. will do for your tires. I check mine every time I hook up.

Andy

Latest posts

Back