MS 290 FarmBoss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking to place an order in the States, browsing through the heighborhood, I found this:

http://www.stihldealer.net/productd...45-toplvl-2-catid-2-subcat-2-catprods-39.aspx

I would like to know more about it from owners.
it`s dirt cheap, fair power, kinda heavy....what say you ?
also something about the chain ?

much appreciated guys.
thanks

STL_40M_6864_small.jpg

Last edited:
it`s dirt cheap, fair power, kinda heavy....what say you ?

Succinct and accurate synopsis, Count!

They are often derided as slow, heavy turkeys or boat anchors. Their defenders insist that they are tough and reliable. The ms290 has the best hp/$ ratio among all Stihl and Husqvarna models. US models have a particularly restrictive muffler.

Most hated saw on earth among saw freaks. Most loved saw on earth among Stihl dealers. Have you tried the search function .. ?

Ms-290

I've had my Stihl 5 years now not one problem, cuts fast enough for me. You can't beat the price.

It is a clamshell design -- does not have a full magnesium crankcase, cheaper to make. Also has open transfers, which I assume is cheaper as well.

Well I am a :newbie: compared to the guys here, but my take anyway.

I have had a Stihl 028 Super for 20 years. I have run 3 different MS290's and feel they are heavier and don't quite seem to have the same power even though the literature says otherwise.

Yesterday I fired up a brand new Makita 6401 and was cutting with my buddy who has a 290. The difference is night and day in power and they still weigh about the same. Plus part of the Makita's weight is it holds more gas/oil.:greenchainsaw:

You can buy a Makita 6401 from Bailey's for about an extra $100-120 over the Stihl. A commercial quality saw vs a homeowner saw.

well, I was going for 365 and if not available the 346
recently I have found out from my mom that my uncle wants to give me the saw as a gift;
damn it! I hate when this happens; next time I want something i`ll be reluctant to ask because of this. and if it is a gift, I`ll pick a cheaper one and figure out what and how later.
this is why I`ve been asking about the 290
however if 365 is available I`ll get it; if not and the 346 XP is available (no green gas cap and etc), I`ll get the 346
if all else fail, i`ll get the 290 maybe
or I`ll ask for the 576 XP...
for now I`ll wait and see what they can find or order there...
or the 372 XPW ?

any saw that is find in Arizona...

Well if you get a MS290 over a 365, 346XP, 576Xp or 372XPW, then you have definately made a very bad choice ;) These saws are not comparable at all. (also not in price).

:)))
I know.
first, I`l go for 365. I hear that in USA I may not find it. then is the 346XP; also maybe not available except the trio and e-tech.
at this point I may give up on the idea of USA saw or have serious thinking to do.
if I give up, the 290 will serve altogether different purposes (i`ll get it for my father...long story)
If I don`t give up, maybe the 576 is next in line..

either saw I get it is 300-400 $ cheaper than in Romania

Count,.....seriously brah, get the 346 and let the uncle get the tab man.
You didnt ask him to do this. heck, youll be happiest with it I believe. And theres not a whole lot a difference in price if ya get the 346 pho.
All Im sayin is that if your gonna do it, then get what ya want. But, I must admit that your plan does seem appealing too as you will eventually be getting two saws instead of the one. but the bottom line is i guess husqvarna or stihl you cant go wrong..........

:)))
I know.
first, I`l go for 365. I hear that in USA I may not find it. then is the 346XP; also maybe not available except the trio and e-tech.

I've not had any trouble finding the 346xp, non-E-tech with NO Tri-brake, just got to look and ask. The 365 is getting hard to find though.

My brother runs a 290 farm boss and likes it, but has had problems with the oiler. It is much heavier and not as fast as the 346xp. He's been trying to get one of my Huskys lately :cheers:

I've not had any trouble finding the 346xp, non-E-tech with NO Tri-brake, just got to look and ask. The 365 is getting hard to find though.

My brother runs a 290 farm boss and likes it, but has had problems with the oiler. It is much heavier and not as fast as the 346xp. He's been trying to get one of my Huskys lately :cheers:

your exactly right Don, for the life of me I cant see why the count has a problem finding the non cat 346..............

Latest posts

Back