Ms 290 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, but Fish, about how many of these have you worked on and put a piston and cylinder in? Hundreds? Me, I only had two to work on and they were a real PIA. Maybe I wasn't holding my tongue just right? I did go get the 290 compressor. I hear that tool is only for the 290. Why so special?

And no, no taper on a MS290. I've seen the taper you talk about on my FS36. Makes it a breeze to put in a piston. Wonder why they're not all like that? I guess that would be too easy, right? :dizzy:

The 290 is harder to compress because it has all of that metal that holds the bearings and seals in the way.

Since I am a big druggie, my pinky fingernails are long, so compressing the rings is pretty easy.........

Yes, and Tommie will correct me, but if you have to go to a new piston and cylinder either 290, 310, or 390, do they come already put together? So, it's a plug and play type deal and he just bolts it all back together, right? Then he's got a new saw again. :clap:

No, the bottom cap, crankshaft, bearings and seals would add an extra 2-3 hundred bucks.....

They don't have a "block", which is why the parting out thing for me works so well.

Yes, and Tommie will correct me, but if you have to go to a new piston and cylinder either 290, 310, or 390, do they come already put together? So, it's a plug and play type deal and he just bolts it all back together, right? Then he's got a new saw again. :clap:

If opts for a 390 cylinder kit he gets the jug, rings, piston. All he needs to do is intsall it, change the jet in carb and he has a 390.

He doesn't get the crank so he will have to put the piston on the rod and assemble the the engine. Tant hard to do. If its his first try I would suggest he use the specail piston ring compressor. Many can get by without it, espcailly Fish because he's done 100's, but this man doing it the first time I would suggest he go the safest route possible. Would be a shame to crack a ring on a new kit.

And not to dis the dealers. I know there are many on here. Your dealer might be a good one and help you out, but the thing is the time on his bench and parts would eat you up and probably cost you enough that you could almost buy another saw. Maybe give your dealer a shot though to see what he can do for you if you're weary of getting into this. At least you would know what you're in for cost wise. I just think it'll not be cost effective for you and the repair can be done if you take your time and you are only out parts cost. Dealers need to make their money, pay their bills, and I'm sure yours would be able to get it back 100%, so not knocking them...

To be exact, I have "dismantled" hundreds.

As an offer to the original poster, If he would ship the saw to me, I would do
the rebuild for $40 labor, and the event posted here online.
He would have to pay for all shipping and parts.

Ship the saw without the bar/chain/cover.
An aftermarket piston/rings, likely under $40 shipped
If it needs the cylinder, well, cannot say without seeing it if it needs one.

But any rate, will do the job for $40, you pay all of the other costs, shipping,
etc..

But any rate, will do the job for $40, you pay all of the other costs, shipping,
etc..

Awesome offer there. Your a good man Fish, I don't care what Lakeside told me in PM about you and those gals down on the corner, your a good man:clap::clap::clap::clap:

etc..

Mighty nice of ya Fish. The man is without a job for a few months now. I'm soon to be as well in a few months so I'm told. I've never not worked in almost 20 years. Don't know how that will be out in the world looking for something to do again. But it's nice to see good folks out there helping others out in these times. :cheers:

thanks fish

I will pull the jug and look at it and can put pics up on here.

If it looks bad will have to try and find one or you can give me a price on it too and then I can ship to ya if you want.

Will check out shipping!

If it does not seem to hard I might try it myself if ya think you can talk me thru the problems.

Is there a engine timing thing I have to be careful of to get in the right position?
?

sorry to hear that

Mighty nice of ya Fish. The man is without a job for a few months now. I'm soon to be as well in a few months so I'm told. I've never not worked in almost 20 years. Don't know how that will be out in the world looking for something to do again. But it's nice to see good folks out there helping others out in these times. :cheers:

I was a truck driver and my company went broke and I got laid off. Been looking for a local job now but have not found anything. Jobs are hard to come by right now but persistence pays off. Don't forget to check with friends and family cause they are the best inside to a good job.

How does one replace the carb jet?

How does one change out the jet, and where would one look for a 390 jet if one has a 290 they'd like to make "bigger"

If opts for a 390 cylinder kit he gets the jug, rings, piston. All he needs to do is intsall it, change the jet in carb and he has a 390.
/QUOTE]

I was a truck driver and my company went broke and I got laid off. Been looking for a local job now but have not found anything. Jobs are hard to come by right now but persistence pays off. Don't forget to check with friends and family cause they are the best inside to a good job.

Yep. My dad worked for the railroad for 46 years. Those days of working for the same company are mostly done now. I was working on it until my company got bought up by a bigger fish. Not you Fish! I'm told my team's services should last through early next year, then I'll be looking for something to do. I've got a line on something, but with over 19 years in I should get a pretty penny in severance, so I'm stuck at this point unless it's too good to be true and those jobs aren't out there as far as I can tell.

So, in the spirit, since you don't have a job and I still do, I'll pay your 40.00 labor for Fish's work, you just pay the shipping part and what the cost of parts are. (I've sent Fish checks before so he shouldn't mind.) Just let me know if you go that route.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Yep. My dad worked for the railroad for 46 years. Those days of working for the same company are mostly done now. I was working on it until my company got bought up by a bigger fish. Not you Fish! I'm told my team's services should last through early next year, then I'll be looking for something to do. I've got a line on something, but with over 19 years in I should get a pretty penny in severance, so I'm stuck at this point unless it's too good to be true and those jobs aren't out there as far as I can tell.

So, in the spirit, since you don't have a job and I still do, I'll pay your 40.00 labor for Fish's work, you just pay the shipping part and what the cost of parts are. (I've sent Fish checks before so he shouldn't mind.) Just let me know if you go that route.

Now that's Christmas spirit. Rep coming your way and Fish's! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Your A#1 in my book CrazyGuy. Damned nice of you.

wow

I am greatful for all the offers to help someone out that is down on their luck. I just wish I knew if the jug was toast or not so I don't waste his time and the shipping only to have it be toast and have to come up with like 100 or more to fix it.

I figured like 86.00 for shipping and parts and the wife(since she the only one working)kinda said it is a dilema for us to figure out, we need the saw cause we need wood to heat the house but Christmas is comming fast and the kids like have nothing.

So if the offers stand for a couple to a few weeks then we can possibly do it then.

Still wish I knew if the jug was bad and if I could fix it for the 35.00 doing it here.

Thanks guys!

This is the site of all sites! This will always be a home to me!

:greenchainsaw:

Then remove all of the screws holding the wrap handle, take it off, then the
starter screws, and the starter.

Remove the brake hardware, lever, etc....

Pry loose the impulse line from it's nipple, and remove the rear handle,
after removing the top av plug, mount, and stuffing the intake boot
through the opening in the rear handle.

Latest posts

Back