Ms 290 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remove muffler and top shroud.

Remove the clutch in a clockwise direction, after stuffing some starter rope
with a few nots tied in it in the spark plug hole to lock it.

I know I didn't do it in the pic, but that is how you should do it.

Then remove the oil pump and parts.

Then with the rope again, loosen the flywheel nut, just a turn or so, the lift
the engine up by holding the flywheel, and rap the socket with a hammer
and the flywheel will pop loose.

As on all things, you must use some good sense and constraint on these
things.

More rep

Wow, Fish and WildnCrazy, you guys are stepping up big time. Rep sent to both of you and thanks for making AS shine once again.

Olyeller

Next, you have to unscrew the rear bar stud, as it threads into the bottom
of the block. I remove both for my purposes, I clamp the studs in a bench vise. They make special pullers, or some folks just leave the bottom
pan in the crankcase when rebuilding.

Then remove the 4 bottom bolts, and then lift out the engine.

Quality pics and descripts. In focus too... :clap: Great job. Now to TAKIDD, next thing you'll do is break open the engine and pull the piston out and the top cylinder part will be what you want to take a good look at if you decide to try and tear this down.

Then if it's any good, or salvageable, you'll have to get yourself a new piston, rings and some dirko usually from your Stihl dealer. Tube is not expensive if I remember. First you'll have to scrape the heck out of it to get the old dirko off. (That is some real sticky stuff.) Then place you a bead around the indents on the pan and put it all back together in reverse order.

Fish made this look easy, 'cause he's done it a bunch. But if you take your time, it can be done. Offer stands if you decide to let Fish do the labor.

Last edited:
Good job Fish, your really stepping up to the plate to help that man. I knew my gas can and torch would make you see the light baby. Proceed on man, your pics are crystal clear as are your the instructions. Good job!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks FISH

Thanks Fish.

You are a very big help. I will try to take it apart wednesday and see what the cylinder looks like! Hopefully it is not bad and will clean.

If I feel I can't get it back together I will contact you about sending it.

Also a dumb question, I see engines on ebay for like 150-170 brand new, are these good or what is the deal?

I was just curious to why you took a brand new saw apart. I love the pics and the step by step process. Now can you sell that saw new still or will it be used?

You know, I could use a 390 piston and jug to upgrade my 290. Got any?

I was just curious to why you took a brand new saw apart. I love the pics and the step by step process. Now can you sell that saw new still or will it be used?

You know, I could use a 390 piston and jug to upgrade my 290. Got any?

It's been lean seized,posts 1-10 will explain:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

Fish, great instructions! Please continue, I don't have the "piston ring tool" and would love to see how to get the piston & rings back into the jug....the "Fish way". My rings should be here tomorrow.

I left the clutch & brake on mine & removed the jug...was that a no no?

RD

Dang Fish!
I haven't had a major problem yet but this is so cool I almost wish I had.
I have an 029 and I'll be sure to save this page.
:cheers:

Bump....where are you at with the saw? It's been 3 days, don't leave the us hanging..........

RD

Stud Puller?

Hey Fish, how did you pull the bar studs out of the engine and case?

you mention a vise...

I used a stud puller and damaged the studs.
I'm looking for a better option.:dizzy:

Hey Fish, how did you pull the bar studs out of the engine and case?

you mention a vise...

I used a stud puller and damaged the studs.
I'm looking for a better option.:dizzy:

What I have found the best is go into the kitchen and steal the rubber grippy thing your wife uses to get lids off of jars and put that around the bar stud and use a pair of vise grips. Works well for me.

What I have found the best is go into the kitchen and steal the rubber grippy thing your wife uses.

My wife keeps ours in the bedroom.....

I tried a puller or two and it still left marks, so I don't try to re-sell those,
just clamp them in a bench vise and turn the saw.

Latest posts

Back