Ms 290 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
follow-up

Just wanted to let everyone know that I did not leave or forget.

I appreciate all the help I have received and have just purchased a new engine from fish tonight and will be putting it in my saw and possibly rebuilding my engine in the near future for a back-up just in case or I might rebuild it and sell it. Not sure on that yet!

With all the great pics and instructions I feel I can take the engine out and put the new one in fairly easily.

Was wondering if my warranty would go back into effect if I put this new engine into it?

Thanks again!

tim.
:chainsaw:

Here is a quickie ipl for your saw, so you see how it goes together.

http://h-machine.jp/part_list/stihl_MS290/part_list_MS290.html

Doing the job yourself would be difficult, but do-able. I am tearing down
a new one tomorrow, if you would like, I could take some pics, let you know
what it involves.
THall maybe even has a dark movie of himself tearing one down, he mumbles a bit, but you can always turn the volume off.

Hey,got those pics,could use them on this end.

tough...a costly mistake.
over here the gas is greenish and the oil is red.
hard to mistake.
and after a while you can even tell if it is not red enough.
good thing to be reminded of for sure...

My wife keeps ours in the bedroom.....

I tried a puller or two and it still left marks, so I don't try to re-sell those,
just clamp them in a bench vise and turn the saw.

I used the two nuts that hold the bar on and tightened then to each other and then turned the inside nut and she backed right out of the hole.

attachment.php
I used the two nuts that hold the bar on and tightened then to each other and then turned the inside nut and she backed right out of the hole.

Aces. :msp_thumbsup:

Try using the bar nut on that stud again.....

I am sure every customer that pays for a stud wants to use his wrench/scrench on every turn of his nut.......

After a month or two, the threads may have loosened up enough to be able to thread the nut on by hand.

But for my purposes, I cannot sell a boogered up bar stud.

Yes, they can be removed like that, I never said anything to the contrary..........

But for me, A 100% positive feedback ebay seller, to sell boogered up bar studs, it just ain't worth it!!!!!!!!

But for me, A 100% positive feedback ebay seller, to sell boogered up bar studs, it just ain't worth it!!!!!!!!

I had three saw projects going on at the same time just finished one today so now just two saw projects going on

I have bought several parts for my project saw's from fish and I get the parts fast (within a week) and I live on the left coast (PNW)

I will buy parts from fish in the future !

And when I ask fish question I get straight answers he has helped me out on many question's

Here a couple pic's

DSC_6823.jpg

DSC_6821.jpg

DSC_6824.jpg

Alot of those parts you see are from fish the other parts are from saw's that I had in the barn :)

Couple of questions for FISH on the (my cousins 029 project)

Fish I just read the thread you linked me to great job on discreptions as well but I have 3 questions.

1) in this thread you were talking about removing the clutch ,did you say turn the clutch clockwise? I thought it was a left hand thread according to the dealer he asked anyway?

2) Bar studs; I assume I should tell him to buy 2 new bar studs w/nuts? Is this correct as I will mess up the old when trying to remove them?

3) So when I am ready to put in the new P &C should I remove the small crankshaft pans from the saw body and do the re-build and sealant (three bond) while it is out on the bench? Then place the entire engine back into the saw body and bolt it down?
Thanks for all your help so far,Jeff

Yes, you turn it clockwise to loosen the clutch. One can reuild it with the bottom pan and studs intact, that way you won't have to worry about ruining the studs.

Yes you are right of course now that I say it out loud.
Now my boy listen to this,I told him to go get a 039 P/C and he would end up with a bigger saw .Well at the saw shop the guy said why do that? your cylinder is just fine you just have a little transfer inside ( i dont agree it feels gouged to me and I found a nut inside the muffler as well and that came from the carb i bet) So he asked me how to clean the cylinder I told him q-tip and acid and warm it up ( the cylinder) first. He says ok I will.
This was two days ago fast foward to today 10 min ago. He calls and says I may have done a bad thing, I bought a gallon of muriatic and thought wow that will mostly never get used.So to get the most bang from my buck i poured it in a pail and submerged the whole thing ! Well I look over and it is boiling over so I say this cant be good and toss the whole thing outside! Then the cylinder wont stop smoking so I grab it and run to the sink to wash it off. Now its all black and stuff do you suppose I hurt her any?
I said well if you put the acid inside like I said you would have been fine so without seeing it I said I just dont know. Well he says why did that happen anyway? I told him he was trying to remove aluminum from the inside with the acid because it will eat aluminum but the outside is aluminum as well buddy.

Back