MS 390, buy or save for a different saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 390 I bought new right before I bought a ms460. The 390 wan't used at all after that. I would look for a used 044/440 or 046/460 if you're set on stihl. A 372 is a real good saw that would do everything you want to do and weigh about the same as the 390.

the ms390 is a 64cc 4.3Hp and the ms361 mag is a 59cc 4.4Hp. does that make a difference in speed? power?

I would have to check, it may run at a higher rpm. (the 361 is actually 4.6hp).. it is also a bit lighter - about half a pound. But.. being a commercial saw it will last longer and hold a much higher resale value. But once you own one you won't want to sell it. I also have the 441, but for only owning one saw the 441 would be too heavy for what some want at almost 15 lbs.

i don't know that a 361 will last any longer. the major difference that makes a 390 a non-pro model is the clamshell design. there are plenty of the 290 series that have many years of hard work on them. and a 361 is only 4.4hp. the 362 is 4.6 and the real difference in weight is more like 1lb.

I was going for the 390 as well and two different Stihl dealers talked me out of it in favor of the 361. They both independentely told me the same thing: The 390 is overweight for what it does and the 361 has a better power/weight ratio. I went for the 361 @ $600 new from a dealer.

I definitely would recommend it over the 390.

If I had it to do over I would buy the 361....

The 390 once muffler modded is a great running saw. I routinely cut wood over 30 inches with the 20" bar. Right now the MS 390 is my "big" saw. Next year I plan on upgrading to a 70cc class pro saw. I'll probably hang on to the 390 although I would sell to upgrade saws at this point.

If I had it to do over I would buy a 440 right off the bat.... I think it's worth saving for unless you have a need for a saw right away. I would consider buying a used saw for your immediate needs then going big once you've had time to save a little.

If I had it to do over I would buy a pro saw!

I would most certainly get the 361 if 24" is the biggest thing you can cut on the Island. One possibility is to get a used one and then have it modded before it comes to your house. Fresh rings and such will make it as good as new where it counts and you could probably have this all done for your price range. The 361 gets great gas mileage, possibly no other saw can cut as much wood as the 361 on a gallon of gas and in modded form it will whip 70+CC saws that are in stock form.

If you don't do a lot of cutting then the weight of the saw is of come concern as holding/carrying the saw all day when you do get to cut will be less tiring and much more enjoyable. The lightweight and gas mileage alone could make up for some displayment and if ported it wouldn't lose anything in the horsepower section either.

Just a thought,

Sam

51oksj.jpg
thear like a 038 nice tom trees

I'm an idiot, thought you had a 390 already. Skip the 390 and get a 361 or a good used 440/460. A good used 440/460 will go for under $500 and will last a while with proper maint. depending on use of course. All will pull a 24" regardless of what others may say.

Back