MS 440 Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidjohnson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all. I had started a thread a week or so ago asking opinions about the MS460 and 372XP. I had just about settled on the 372 due to price and its reputation despite the poor dealer network in my area. Well, today I ended up buying a plain old vanilla MS440 from my Stihl dealer. He made me a pretty good deal, and I guess due to impulse, I bought the thing. I cut about 1 tank worth of fuel today and have some questions. I was cutting 20-25" red oak (some about 1/2 dry some green). I also cut some fairly big juniper (25-28"). The juniper was dry.

Here are my questions:

What's the best Bar/chain combos for this saw? Mine came with a 25" and RS chain. I know the saw hasn't broke in yet and will get more power, But I'm thinking it may do better with a 20"? Don't get me wrong, It pulled the 25" good, but in the oak, I could tell the saw was working:) The saw ripped thru the smaller stuff great.

Tell me what your "go to" bar and chain combos are for the 440? I plan on keeping the saw stock.

DJ

I run 20" and 25" on my 440's. They handle the 25" just as well as the 20". Sounds like you bought the saw new, correct? If so, just give it time to break in. You'll soon find out that 25" with a good sharp RS chain gets along great with the 440.

Give it 15-20 tanks of fuel before it is fully broke in. The 440 is an outstanding saw, one of the best designs Stihl has ever made, a saw that was brought back from the grave, due to the demands of proffessional's.
It will handle a 24/25" bar with no issues in oak. Once it is broke in it will handle a 28" as long as you run a sharp chain. If you really want to have fun get yourself a 8 pin rim sprocket and get a 20" bar for the smaller stuff, it will really rip.
As long as you run Stihl Ultra and use 91 oct fuel (preferably non-ethanol) and not let fuel sit in it longer than 3 months or use saw gas that is over 3 months old and keep your air filter clean and your chain sharp your grandchildren will be using it one day.
Ultra has 20% more lubricicity and 40% more carbon detergent agents than Stihl orange bottle, it also has a inhibitor that will protect your brass and copper interals in the carberator.
Got yourself a great saw, just give it time to break in. 440 rep sent!

Never cared a great deal for the 440. It lacks grunt IMO. I don't want to make errbody mad, thats JMO.
The 372xp is a great saw and the 441CM is an even better saw. Did you ever consider the 441CM? Just wondering.

It will break in to be a good saw and will pull a 25" bar very well after it's broken in.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new MS440. Looks like you're hooking it up to some good trees. :chainsawguy::wave:

A "plain old vanilla 440" sounds good to me.:clap: I didn't have one, but have seen 'em in action and was suitably impressed. My cousin dropped one off for me that had been straight gassed, so I'll be tearing into it pretty soon.:rock:

Seen guys run 32 and 36 bars on 044-440 saws with skip tooth chains, granted its was in softer woods, but you would probably be ok with a 28" for everything you want to cut, keep the chains sharp and clean it once in awhile should last forever...

I like a 20" bar for general purpose on that size of saw, and only pull out bigger bars when they are actually needed. I run a 20" most of the time on my 461, and the 441 I had before that, and use a 28" bar for big stuff.

Make sure you are keeping that chain sharpened. RS will dull in a heartbeat if the wood is old, dirty, or certain species (like locust). I have been using RS on my 461, but will switch to RM next time I buy chain. I cut a lot of old and dirty wood, and am getting sick of sharpening the RS all the time.

Never cared a great deal for the 440. It lacks grunt IMO. I don't want to make errbody mad, thats JMO.
The 372xp is a great saw and the 441CM is an even better saw. Did you ever consider the 441CM? Just wondering.

It will break in to be a good saw and will pull a 25" bar very well after it's broken in.

Yes, I considered both the 441cm and the 461. I have heard great things about both. In the end it came down to price and availability. Most of the commercial tree guys around where I live run the 440 and 660 so they are stocked at the dealers.

For the kind of cutting I do, the 440 is all I need:)

I like a 20" bar for general purpose on that size of saw, and only pull out bigger bars when they are actually needed. I run a 20" most of the time on my 461, and the 441 I had before that, and use a 28" bar for big stuff.

Make sure you are keeping that chain sharpened. RS will dull in a heartbeat if the wood is old, dirty, or certain species (like locust). I have been using RS on my 461, but will switch to RM next time I buy chain. I cut a lot of old and dirty wood, and am getting sick of sharpening the RS all the time.

Interesting feedback on the RS. A lot of the oak I cut is darn near petrofide (sp?).

I'm not a Stihl guy. In fact, I'm not a fanboy for any brand (except maybe Jonsered).

My current favorite 70cc is the OE372/2171.

That being said, you just bought one of the All Time Great 70cc chain saws. Ever. Congrats!

I'm not a real tall guy, but I have kinda long arms. I like to run 18" bars when I can get away with it (on my 70cc saws). Sometimes I need to run a longer bar, and I do so. 25" is by no means "too long" for your saw, but sometimes the shorter bars will provide more 'grin factor'.

Seen guys run 32 and 36 bars on 044-440 saws with skip tooth chains, granted its was in softer woods, but you would probably be ok with a 28" for everything you want to cut, keep the chains sharp and clean it once in awhile should last forever...

Thank you - That's good feedback.

Black locust is nasty stuff. As for Stihl RM, I think it the best all around chain for cutting firewood and found that it worked very well on my Alaskan Mill.

When I bought the Barbie Saw, I immediately put a 28" bar on it. Most have 32" bars on them around here. I also run skip tooth chain and roundfile. It does just fine.

I already had the 28" bar on my 032.

What is this break in? I just took mine out and put it to work. Plain vanilla? Go to a craft store and get bling for your saw.

Good Choice!

I like the 372 as well, but you cannot go wrong with the 440. You got one of the few remaining ones, as they have been discontinued for the last time. It is lighter and handier than a 461 or 441, and will handle 20-28" bars with ease. For a lightweight bucking combo for smaller stuff go with a 20" laminated bar. Mine usually has this or a 25" bar on it.

I would get a OEM Stihl dual port front muffler plate for it to help it breathe, richen it up a bit, and go cut wood. If you decide later that you don't want it, you can sell it and recoup most of your original investment and go on to the next saw.

Latest posts

Back