MS 460 Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the max flow better than the HD 2. They don't clog as fast and a kit is about the same price.

Brian & Adirondack, thanks for sharing, I will definitely go with HD-2 in the future, was not aware that was out there. Perhaps that is part of the reason the M-Tronic saws are preforming so well? Adirondack, sorry about calling your 044 a a 440. I know Christine is an 044 and what filter she has.

mdavlee, thanks for the advice, but I don't think that filter will fit on a 460. Unlike the 044/440, a 460 filter must wrap around the carb. I think the Max Flow has an almost solid foam center.

Mike, the 044/046/440/460 all use the same HD2 filter and/or MaxFlo

I did a quick check on the MaxFlo site, and it looks like the 460 is a different kit than the 440. Not that I'm advocating them, or criticizing them either.

Mike, a Long time ago I bought a K&N for an 044, and I seem to remember it required the use of an old style sheet metal 'lid' or 'top'. Are the new ones that way?

Does anyone make an HD style filter for these that uses nylon mesh media for use in clean conditions?

That would make sense, that their 460 filter would be different. My stock 044 filter has a metal cover, the K&N does not, but it just goes right in, no problem. It has rubber front & back that seal against the plastic Stihl parts. I just added the foam outer circle from the original filter because the K&N was picking up wood chips fast. This likely won't be a problem with the newly designed saws that are supposed to separate that stuff.

Chadihman had reported that his dyno showed a nice improvement when the air filter was removed from the saw, which triggered me to search for a low restriction air filter for my 044. When I saw that K&N made one, I jumped on it, I have always had good results using their filters on cars.

My 044 definitely woke up a little after I put the K&N on it, and I'm sure that porting would bring it up to another level.

... My stock 044 filter has a metal cover, the K&N does not, but it just goes right in, no problem. It has rubber front & back that seal against the plastic Stihl parts...

And you feel confident that it's sealing adequately at the top? I'm not criticizing, just asking. If I remember correctly, ( and it's been a while), I lacked confidence in the seal at the 'top' without using a recycled 'lid'. I was probably wrong at the time, and likely still.

The HD2 filter is a better solution than the K&N. It will not clog nearly as easily and is MUCH easier to clean. I have both.

Also, as already mentioned several times, the 044 through the 088 all take the same filter. The only exceptions would be those not set up to use the HD filter. Yes, they have changed over the years, but the replacement for all of them is the same.

Testing has been done on filters before. The change Chad saw on his dyno was likely due to the saw going leaner when the filter was removed. They all flow plenty of air.

Latest posts

Back