MS 460 Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Brother has a MS - 460 (2005?) that I would like to improve like I did with my 044 (less restrictive air filter and duel port muffler cover).

1) His saw has the adjustment restricted on the carb, so I know I have to remove the restricter, but how do you do it? Do you just pull out the High & Low screws and take something off?

2) His saw has a baffle in front of the carb. Is this thing helpful or necessary? I was expecting his saw to look a lot more like my 044.

I've attached some pics.

Any advice will be appreciated. His 60th B'day is next week.

Attachments

• 460-1.JPG
    460-1.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 460-3.JPG
    460-3.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 88
Necessary yes. It holds the carb down and funnels the air intake from the center of the filter. The limiter tabs on the hi and low needle can just be trimmed off with a razor. They can be removed completely with the proper puller or a wood screw but not necessary. Otherwise open the muffler a bit and re tune the saw and your good to go. Ive got my 460 muffler modded and she sounds completely different and runs like a raped ape.

There should be red caps over the H and L adjustments. Just take a drywall screw and screw it in the hole in the cap a little till it bites. There is a tab on the limiter cap that you have to line up to a tiny notch on the carb body. Once you line them up take some needle nose pliers or put the head of the drywall screw in a vise and give it a good pull, it will come out. Then just take a razor knife and shave off the tab (limiter) off the red cap. Then simply just push it back in. Limitless carb.

A 3/4" ID pipe angled out the side of the muffler lets it breathe and sounds awesome. As for air just use the Stihl HD2 filter. I did a dyno test on a ported 460 and the hd2 did the same as a max flow. Junk the old HD filters. There is a noticeable difference from HD to HD2

Thanks for the recommendations. Have you tested a K&N filter? I put one on my 044 after seeing you say how much difference removing a filter made, and the 044 really woke up with the K&N & the duel port muffler (the duel port alone only made a small difference). I'm thinking of doing the same to my brother's 460, but it is not going to be as easy! Carb limiters, muffler baffles, and weird stuff under the air filter.

I'm thinking of doing the same to my brother's 460, but it is not going to be as easy! Carb limiters, muffler baffles, and weird stuff under the air filter.

Well, if you go on sabbatical from work, and really hunker down for a while, you should probably eventually be able to bolt on a dual port cover and new filter to that saw. Don't lose hope during the darkest hours.

HolyGrail034.jpg

If you look at the picture I posted, I do not see how that filter would fit my brother's 460. The stock filter is a thin oval, and surrounds the carb and baffle. It is very different than my 044. On the 044, the carb does not protrude into this area.

I did get one of his duel port muffler covers.

The_more_you_know_banner.jpg

0db62bb041e35c2c9f06431cbf3e5419.jpg

Dual

Consisting of or involving two parts or components usually in pairs

Examples
Dual controls for pilot and copilot

Duel
A prearranged fight with deadly weapons by two people (accompanied by seconds) in order to settle a quarrel over a point of honor

Examples
In the 19th century, men often dueled over small matters

Darn it nuzzy, I got a nice smile every time he switched that E for an A! Please don't ruin the pedal/ peddle thing when he talks about his bicycles.

Darn grammar nazis!

Brian, thanks for the pics. That is my point, even though the 044 and 460 both call for the same filter, some of the ones made for the 044/440 will not fit the 460. If the K&N does not work, I will go with the HD-2. Have you tried a K&N for comparison?

Another member stated I needed that plastic baffle, but it does not seem necessary. Do you generally remove it?

Hey Mike....I know youre probably hung up on the K&N filter because it made a difference on your saw, but honestly.....and HD2 woulda done the same thing.
An HD2 will bolt right on.

The early 044 ( and I emphasize "early") filters look way different....yes.
They look more along the lines of a split 034 or 026 flat filter.
I have personally never seen one on a saw other than on the interwebs.
But those saws can be remedied by changing the filter base.

Thanks for the advice Adirondack, and and good to hear from you. The K&N says it will fit the 460, but if it does not I will go with the HD2. You had one on your 440, right? My original 044 filter has a metal cover, thin foam on the outside, pleated paper on the inside, and more foam in the middle.

Actually, I like K&N because of Christine!!!!!

Latest posts

Back