ms200t vs. 338xpt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shouldn't admit to this, but here goes. What good is it if we can laugh a little, even if it is ourselves? I got my little Echo 341 today. Why oh why didn't I notice the tanks were the opposite of Stihls:censored: . You can guess what I did. The only way it would fire was to put fuel in the carb:clap: I just couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run on its own. So I kept priming it through the carb. Of course by that time the entire carb was full of oil. I didn't even know what I had done until I had the carb off and was pulling it apart. It's back together and running good now. I tuned it by ear to 11,500 which was a tad rich yet, about where I want to break it in. I later read the manual and it says 11,500-12,000. Not bad for a reed valve. I may go ahead and pick up a used 192T just to compare them. I'll then sell the one I don't like. I haven't had it in the wood yet, so no comments there yet.

. I haven't had it in the wood yet, so no comments there yet.

you ever try to have sex with a limp unit? try as you might its just not gonna work out the way you want.

sorry bud but before you even use it i am going to be your doctor and tell you that your saw is impotent.

not important, impotent.

Last edited:
Echos top handle saws feel OK for balance in the shop, and their side-handle models are a good idea, and once you've used one for awhile you don't really know much different, but they don't even come close to being a good chainsaw

"I shouldn't admit to this, but here goes. What good is it if we can laugh a little, even if it is ourselves? I got my little Echo 341 today. Why oh why didn't I notice the tanks were the opposite of Stihls . You can guess what I did."

I've done the same thing a couple of times with ours.

I haven't touched the 341 since we got the CS-360T, and sold both 301's. They 360 is way, way faster and more power at every rpm.

The reed valve saws were difficult to set for high speed fuel, they want to be a tad rich or they would go lean in the cut. No way to get any high rpm power out of them, they are "grunt" engines......Cliff

I'll mod the muffler and see how it does. I'm shopping for a nice used 192T. I'd like to compare them side-by-side in maybe 4"-6" wood. The Echo came with a 16" bar. I'd like to have a 12" or 14" on it. It would balance better, be a little lighter, and have little less drag. I'm not sure it's worth the additional investment though considering I may just sell it after the test.

I just picked up a clean 200T for little more than I paid for the Echo. I may still pick up a 192T for a complete roundup.

BTW, what length bar balances best on a 200T? I believe this one has a 16" bar. I won't know for sure until it arrives.

I just picked up a clean 200T for little more than I paid for the Echo. I may still pick up a 192T for a complete roundup.

BTW, what length bar balances best on a 200T? I believe this one has a 16" bar. I won't know for sure until it arrives.

I have a 14 on mine, and it has great power, esp. with the new carb. 14" bar with chain (and two "reconditioned" Bosch spark plugs:dizzy: ) are about 25 BIN on eFlay jyellipeppers or something like that is the seller.

Good deal on the 200? Congratulations.

338xpt vs ms200t

Just got this 339xp to go with my 338xpt.

p101033901ur4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

p101033701nr6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

12" bar is more than a top handle saw can handle, 200T motors meet their match on 10" thick timber, you're looking at a bigger saw if needing 14" bars

"I'll mod the muffler and see how it does. I'm shopping for a nice used 192T. I'd like to compare them side-by-side in maybe 4"-6" wood. The Echo came with a 16" bar. I'd like to have a 12" or 14" on it. It would balance better, be a little lighter, and have little less drag. I'm not sure it's worth the additional investment though considering I may just sell it after the test."

The Echo reed valve engines are MAXXED out with a 14" bar, at least the ones I had here were. Never could get any real power out of any of them, regardless of muffler mods or carb settings. They don't like to be set lean or high rpm's or they bog down and go lean in the cut. The CS-360t is just the opposite.

I used it yesterday to cut the tops up on a maple and two cherry trees. Very impressive little saw. The only thing I don't like about it is the rev limiting module, which requires considerable time/patience to get the "H" speed screw just right.

I've been running the piss out of the 360 for months now, no "death-rattle" as of yet......Cliff

The 339 has the same motor as the 338. Was trying it out yesterday cutting some small Ash trees. I like the feel, it's very light.

Congrats!

The 339xp sure looks a bit odd, but it is a very cool saw to use, with excellent handling! :rockn: :rockn:

Btw, it is rated at a tad more power than the 338xpt, may have something to do with the muffler?

The carbs used to be different as well, but I am not sure how that is with the latest (NE) ones.

Last edited:
12" bar is more than a top handle saw can handle, 200T motors meet their match on 10" thick timber, you're looking at a bigger saw if needing 14" bars

I think that's depend on how hard the wood is, when I take down Sitka-spruce whit my Jonsered 2135T whit 12" bar, it cut like crazy, a hot knife through butter even when the Sitka-spruce is wider then the bar is long.....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

:greenchainsaw:

Back