ms200t vs. 338xpt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
338xpt NE

I bought the 338xpt New Edition this year and I like it a lot! I used to run the 335 as an employee when it was new and that was a terrible saw. A few years later I bought some 338´s, "old edition", and they were always between OK and really good. Seems you had to adjust the carb every now and then to keep them in shape. I also have a MS200 with rear handle, but I can´t say there´s a difference in performance between the two- been thinking about putting a 12" bar on the 338 and do some timed cuts...Just for fun of course, and to get a "true" answer.

So far I can really recommend the 338xpt NE!

Buy the MS200T.
If you see a 338XPT you have my permission to find out how far you can kick it, even if it's my 338XPT!
BUT, if you even touch my MS200T you'll find out how far I can kick you! :dizzy:

So what is an afordable alternative to the 200T? I don't want to put that kind of money into a top handle saw, but I would like to have something newer than my 015L. My 180 is only rated .1 hp less than the 200T and turns about 14,500. I love mine and don't even mind the plastic chassis. I'd go with a 192T but it's down .3 HP from the 180. That's 15%.

OK. Who wants to trade a super clean 015L and an awesomely clean original 030AV for a 200T? Oh, you can have the Homey XL too:cheers:

Last edited:
So what is an afordable alternative to the 200T? I don't want to put that kind of money into a top handle saw, but I would like to have something newer than my 015L. My 180 is only rated .1 hp less than the 200T and turns about 14,500. I love mine and don't even mind the plastic chassis. I'd go with a 192T but it's down .3 HP from the 180. That's 15%.

OK. Who wants to trade a super clean 015L and an awesomely clean original 030AV for a 200T? Oh, you can have the Homey XL too:cheers:

The 009 has the same displacement, and it is actually a partial top handle design........ They seem to bring more than they should on FleeceBay, but they are around. Mine has been in a number of trees. Not a super fast cutter, but I like using it, as everyone probly knows by now.:greenchainsaw:

Truthfully the echo 341 top handle is a good affordable climbsaw.
Not the 330 or whatever they called it, it was junk I had a cs301
and it was great for the 200 I spent but under cc d the 341 top
handle is just like it with more displacement! I do like the 200t
but I have a 334 xpt or the little fellow 14" bar it does ok but
feels funny, will cut good up till 16 inch then time for 372.

So how much does a 341 run?

I am thinking in the 300 and maybe some change been a while since
I was looking. It had to be special ordered my dealer could have got
me one but they also had the husky and I needed one my cs301 was
left on the trailer and bounced off or was stolen I really don't know which
but it had been working fine for three years. I would not hesitate
to purchase another but that bullet shaped one, no way we got them
when I was working for powerlines they stunk.

ms200t vs The 338XP

Anybody run one of the 45cc "California Edition" 338xpt saws? You dang CA guys get all the cool stuff!!

My partner has a older 335xp Cal. Special He says it's the fastest climbing saw he have ever had, but that just him!
I have a 338 and it's just as good as that 335 Surfer Special.....!!!
Would have to agree with Lake about the figures and the EPA. And with the 200T being a great saw too!

Husky Kicks!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I was just looking at the specs on the Dolmar PS3410TH. It only turns 12,500. That's going to be too much of a step down even from the performance of my MS180. I'm off to see if I can find the RPMs of the Echos.

Anybody run one of the 45cc "California Edition" 338xpt saws? You dang CA guys get all the cool stuff!!

Nope, but I have two 335 Cali's, also 45 cc's.... and they simply don't cut the mustard. Porting and carburation are the same as the 33 and 38 cc models which is too small to deliver enough juice to that big of a jug but the jug size also makes the saws require an awkward amount of effort to start. (The 338 might have an internal auto compression release which would solve that problem)...they sound like they're missing...hard to get 13,800 rpm out of them if not impossible. I have had a new one on the shelf for years....now it and my dual port 335 Cali are my only running Huskys...as my super fast 335 bit the dust.

Just today, I did some timed cuts in appx 7-8 inch hawthorne:

192T, fully woods ported ~8.3 seconds 30 cc thank you, Ed Heard!
new stock 335 Cali ~9.7 45 cc
dual port 335 Cali, ~8.5
nice sharp chain with the depth gauges down a bit

my 200T is not here so couldn't test it, but Id guess it would have cut about a 7.5 or 8......it's faster than the 192T, but not by much in small wood.

Other saws, in 10 inch hawthorne;

346ehp 6.8 18 inch .325
5100 dual port, stock 6.5 18 inch .325
5100 ehp 6 16 inch .375 square chisel
5100 stock dp 7.7 " "
357 ehp 5.3 20 inch .375 sq chisel
Shinny 488 woods mod 9.5 20" .325 nice light saw, but getting a bit tired, never was as fast as other ported 3 cubers... Dennis Greffard did this saw.
372/375 ehp 4.3 28" .375 sq chisel, dullish

I was just looking at the specs on the Dolmar PS3410TH. It only turns 12,500. That's going to be too much of a step down even from the performance of my MS180. I'm off to see if I can find the RPMs of the Echos.

Which Echos, the climb saws? I'm not sure if the new 330 and 360's are still reed valve saws. If so, they are lower revving and slow to accelerate. I'd pass on that bulky looking 360, it is also way heavier. Get a 192 and port the muffler.

If an Echo 341 can still be found, those were nice saws, for reed valve saws....Port the muffler and it'l cut 15-20% faster. Mine did...till it got legs and ran off...

..with a lowlife scumbag who never returned it, and old saddle, new WolfClaw gaffs, a rope, and my way old 154 still screaming Husky. He disappeared, the prick! Oh and a used 335 Cali I'd bought from a friend. Easily $900 worth of gear, new, well, a hel l of a lot mo....

Last edited:
LOL. That was a good one!

So why the 341 over the 360T? Will these saws outperform a 192T?

The 341 has the air filter at the front of the case next to the bar.:jawdrop:
The 360 is heavy and awkward.

I have 2 192T's and they perform weel. You just have to remind yourself that it isnt a 200.

I bought the 338xpt New Edition this year and I like it a lot! I used to run the 335 as an employee when it was new and that was a terrible saw. A few years later I bought some 338´s, "old edition", and they were always between OK and really good. Seems you had to adjust the carb every now and then to keep them in shape. I also have a MS200 with rear handle, but I can´t say there´s a difference in performance between the two- been thinking about putting a 12" bar on the 338 and do some timed cuts...Just for fun of course, and to get a "true" answer.

So far I can really recommend the 338xpt NE!

I may get one....have you heard any talk about the new climb Husky in the works?

What kind of RPMs do they make? Adjustable carb?

Imagine a Snellerized 45cc 338xpt!

I would opt for the 200t but they are good for the dollar and just checked are still made I can't tell ya the rpms but they are 33.5 cc!
The 330 and 360 were junk everyone the company bought had
problems they may have worked it out by now but as rb and mow said were bulky!

Last edited:
So how much does a 341 run?

I've seen new 341s on Ebay for $270 or so. It should be the same 33.4cc engine as the 345/3450/346, and yes, adjustable carb and oiler.

I was cutting with a 3450 today, and its my favorite limbing saw for wading through hardwood canopies(on the ground). Mine wears a 14" bar,3.8 .050 91 series, and weighs 9.25#. Accelerate slow? I don't think so. If I remember correctly, max RPM is 12,000 or 12,500.:chainsaw:

There was another thread here in the past several days where the guy was complaining that his CS-3400 tophandle had died. It seemed that he had bought it used, cheap, ran the pi$$ out of it for 8 years, and stopped working.:cry:

The airfilter on the front of the saw is a non-issue. The air is drawn in from the rear, and the filter stays relatively clean unless you're cutting lots of dry, dead wood. When its dirty, blow it clean with compressed air.

I prefer the rear handle of the 3450/345/346. They are still light enough to one-hand if and when needed, and handle much better when on terra firma. New 345s and 346s often sell on Ebay in the $150-$180 range. Used are usually half of that. The CS-3400 is the earlier version of the CS-341. The CS-3000 has the smaller 30cc engine.

Back