ms200t vs. 338xpt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He probably meant muffler modded. I know of noone who has ported a 338.

Walker's quit moddings 335's some time ago as the gains over just muffler modding are minimal. They did one for me, and it was a good runner for a few years. The cylinder can't be decked to raise compression.

Earlier, I'd had one of the early 335's that was a real cutting machine, and that was with a stock muffler. Typical of the early 335's, it had other issues.....

Then I paid Dan Henry about $150 to mod a 338...which ended up being a dog, relative to that cheapo one I got from Rich. It, like my muffler modded 335 Cali's, on a good day, would about keep up with a stock 200T.....on a good day...

note the test I posted yesterday....that cali wasn't even close to my ported 192T!!

Last edited:
He probably meant muffler modded. I know of noone who has ported a 338.

Walker's quit moddings 335's some time ago as the gains over just muffler modding are minimal. They did one for me, and it was a good runner for a few years. The cylinder can't be decked to raise compression.

Earlier, I'd had one of the early 335's that was a real cutting machine, and that was with a stock muffler. Typical of the early 335's, it had other issues.....

Then I paid Dan Henry about $150 to mod a 338...which ended up being a dog, relative to that cheapo one I got from Rich. It, like my muffler modded 335 Cali's, on a good day, would about keep up with a stock 200T.....on a good day...

note the test I posted yesterday....that cali wasn't even close to my ported 192T!!

So what do you run for a carb on a ported 192? I'm assuming the factory carb is NOT adjustable. Porting I can do. Then I'd have the light weight, high revs and good power. I'd be happy with any top handle if the power is => my muffler modded MS180.

why do you assume the 192 carb is not adjustable?

Hint - it is...

Ported any clamshell engines lately? ;)

Last edited:
saw

Man this thread took off. Thanks for all the input, and price was not an object on either saw. But go ahead an pick me up and body slam me, because I went with the 338. This saw just felt better in my hands that the 200t. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks alot.

Thanks to a tip from another user here I just picked up a new 341 for $195 from a reputable seller. For a price like that I can chech it out and resell it if I don't like it! That's like $100 less than normal.

no need to bub. we all know the result of this race. you went with possibly the 3rd place finisher. anyone know anything about that new dolmar?
Just a bit....Stock it would get badly beat by the 338....and many folks say their 338 newest edition is as fast as the 200t......I know they are now quite reliable....still have the front filter that plugs up of course....

I also prefer the shape of the 335/8 over the 200T...more reach..better lanyard attachment point, streamlined better for movement through brushy trees...but the 200 is balanced very nicely..and though it might be a tad heavier, it feel lighter perhaps in the hand. And of course its high rpm and instant acceleration are awesome. The 338 should have more torque....

i think most of you guys that rag on the Huskys used some of the earlier editions that surely were full of bugs....of late the saws are pretty darned good....

Last edited:
Thanks to a tip from another user here I just picked up a new 341 for $195 from a reputable seller. For a price like that I can chech it out and resell it if I don't like it! That's like $100 less than normal.

Awesome....run 10 tanks through it, then time some cuts, before and after porting the muffler. Miine picked up 15-20% in speed.....those Echos were pretty reliable, though not built as beefily as Echos of old....I used to run the 302S,(no antivib) then the 330 climb saws back in the '80's....

I'm hoping to get another 192....then i can compare it with a muffler job to my ehp one....that would be a good benchmark for you to know whether to tear into yours. Ed felt that the port work didn't do much for it, due to its clamshell design like the 335/338's

Last edited:

I liked mine for price they are a good cheap top handle mine
was the cs301 less displacement and I paid 2 hundy so ya
did get a deal for sure! 33.5 cc I think! Mine was durable
never failed to start little weak for some but all in all a
good value.

Man this thread took off. Thanks for all the input, and price was not an object on either saw. But go ahead an pick me up and body slam me, because I went with the 338. This saw just felt better in my hands that the 200t. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks alot.

Hey, believe me the old 335's match the 020's/200T's for grunt with only a drilled muffler mod, the difference an opened muffler makes on these 335's & 338's is huge, particularly the low rev response, and the huskys are way more comfortable to use all day every day up in the tree tops, good choice on the husky

I would have taken my chanses on that one as well! :)

Hopefully they got it right this time.............

Jonsereds version is the 2139, and looks better.

So why the 341 over the 360T? Will these saws outperform a 192T?

The 300's, 301, 341, 3450's are all reed valve engines. We had two 301's here, and a 341, they are SLOW, but were dead solid reliable. The 360T cuts at LEAST 3 times as fast, with WAY more mid-range/high rpm power, but not quite as much "grunt". Those 301's are so slow, I can go back in the house and have another cup of coffee and a donut before they could get thru a 10" hunk of oak!

The CS-330T and CS 360T's are piston ported high rpm engines, and have superior power characteristics to the reed valve saws they replaced.

We purchased a nice CS-360T off of E-Bary for $180. Right out of the box it was down on power some, set extremely lean from the factory. This has been "typical" of all of the Echo saws that we have owned. They have restrictive muffler systems and set lean enough to "cook" the jugs, probably just to satisfy EPA reg's?

We removed the limiter caps on the 360T, and it helped quite a bit, but I still thought it was not running as well as it could be, so a muffler mod followed.

All I can say is that this muffler modded 360T is one fast cutting little saw, and we've put quite a few hours on it without any issues anyplace. It has a rev-limiting module, which I've come to hate, as it makes it very difficult to adjust. Other than the rev-limiting feature, restrictive muffler and lean carb setting, no other complaints, and it cuts as fast as any other top handle saws I've seen.

We've ran the lengendary 200T on numerous occassions, I like everything about them, but the price!......Cliff

I may get one....have you heard any talk about the new climb Husky in the works?

No, only thing I´ve heard is from here- but I do hope there´s a new tophandle on it´s way- NOT because the 338 NE isn´t a very good saw, but except the new Dolmars there hasn´t been much news in this field of chainsaws.

But.... level the playing field. To dual port a 200T muffler all you have to do is remove the screen :givebeer:

Yes but removing the 338's or 200T's screen gives little difference in performance,(unless they're blocked of course) it's just that the huskys muffler is way more restrictive than the stihls. Fire up a stock 200T and fire up a 338, the stihl's kicking out way more decibels, adding a larger outlet to the husky IS leveling the playing field.. :cool:

Taking the screen out of the 200T adds another port...

True, but only a tad more area opened, relative to the 9/16th port I put on my Huskys...... do more porting to the 200 and it would probably cut even faster.

Back