MS250 or 270?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Geezer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I live on a small acreage with a lot of mature trees. I don't cut firewood but occasionally I need to trim or remove a tree. I've been using a 16" Poulan for the last ten years and it's time to replace the old girl. I've narrowed my search down to the MS250 and 270. I believe either of these saws would be a huge step up from the saw I'm using now. Does anyone have any experience with either of these saws and which would be a better buy? I'll probably opt for a 18" bar. I've decided my next saw will be a Stihl because I have a really good dealer near by. Thanks

You can't find a more user friendly saw for a homeowner than the MS270. Get the model with the pop out chain tensioner, you will find its a Cadillac compared to your old saw.:cheers:

270 or 280 both are great working saws.:cheers:
Yup, as a 'yet to be disappointed' MS270 owner I can truly attest to its quality, (search 'MS270 does its duties' thread for my take on them). Though I haven't used the CM (?) model with the quick chain adjuster I have heard good things (Gas) too, I'd just rather have the option of tightening my own nuts an' bolts, so ta speak. Very well built, excellent 'feel' (and I am fairly large person), and has great speed and ability. Mine has the 'decomp' which is a nice touch but I rarely have used it as it not an ogre to start without it.
As I have stated elsewhere I am not overly fond of the wimpy dawgs and intend to add another set to the clutch housing as there is a place to mount them. Over-all I think you'd be very happy with one of any of the above mentioned picks. My evening take on things :)

:cheers:

Serge

I live on a small acreage with a lot of mature trees. I don't cut firewood but occasionally I need to trim or remove a tree. I've been using a 16" Poulan for the last ten years and it's time to replace the old girl. I've narrowed my search down to the MS250 and 270. I believe either of these saws would be a huge step up from the saw I'm using now. Does anyone have any experience with either of these saws and which would be a better buy? I'll probably opt for a 18" bar. I've decided my next saw will be a Stihl because I have a really good dealer near by. Thanks

If you need an 18" bar, you need the 270. The 250 would be stretched to it's limits using that bar, but the 270 would handle it. But then, the 280 is only $30 away, so maybe..? It would definitely have no problems with an 18".

Beating a dead horse here, 270. I own a 270 and have used a 025 and the 270 is alot better. It feels better, cuts faster and has more low end grunt. I have a 18" bar on my 270 and it can handle it pretty good.

Beating a dead horse here, 270. I own a 270 and have used a 025 and the 270 is alot better. It feels better, cuts faster and has more low end grunt. I have a 18" bar on my 270 and it can handle it pretty good.

Sure it will, but the 280 will handle it better, and actually is a tad lighter (you probably will not notice the difference, though).

Just a tought though, the Dolmar PS5100S is a true pro saw, will outcut them both, is a tad lighter, and probably not much more money in the US, if at all........

Last edited:
+ freaking 1

270 or 80 w18" bar,,,, No 250!!!!!

Last edited:
I have a new MS 250 with a 16'' bar and it got a lot of PEP! Nice feeling, cuts a lot with the RS chain, I've made 6 cords without any problem at all! I've bought a 18'' bar last week and I'll try it this week-end. I'll send you some photos of it.
Ciao
Nick

Back