MS250 or 270?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on subject the saw the man should buy is the 280. I own both and the 280 is a helluva nice saw. That saw has one of the neatest power bands, it really opens up pulls under a load. Its smooth, easy to start and built like a Stihl. The 5100 isn't all that much faster in the cut than the 280. I'm sure side by side the 5100 would win but by how much, not a whole lot. One thing is for certain if the man is looking for a saw with the best back up support in the business he needs to go Stihl.

Ok ole feller give me a beer, I'm done disagreeing with you this time, until next time, :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Well, at least we can agree on that, the 280 is rated at 2.8kW/3.8hp here, and I was really tempted last year, when they offered them for "MS 250 price" - trouble was, it was the 280c, not the streight 280.......:yoyo:

Well, at least we can agree on that, the 280 is rated at 2.8kW/3.8hp here, and I was really tempted last year, when they offered them for "MS 250 price" - trouble was, it was the 280c, not the streight 280.......:yoyo:

Well trust me ole boy you got that 5100 so you don't need a 280. You'll be quite happy with the 5100, I am. The 280 I must say surprised me though. I never knew much about them till I got a lucky on the one I picked up, its a helluva nice saw.

Agree and disagree, we do it best, would ya agree?, cheers ole friend,:cheers: :cheers:

Agree and disagree, we do it best, would ya agree?, cheers ole friend,:cheers: :cheers:

It would be no fun if everyone agreed on everything......:chainsawguy:

Seriously though, how would it be to rebuild a 270/280 - they don't have a horisontally split case, as far as I know.........:confused:

It would be no fun if everyone agreed on everything......:chainsawguy:

Seriously though, how would it be to rebuild a 270/280 - they don't have a horisontally split case, as far as I know.........:confused:

The crankcase splits on that saw Sawtroll. However one side is cast along with where the crank mounts. The cylinder bolts over the crank bearings giving the engine and bearings a complete wrapped in metal fit in that one half of the crankcase. The starter side of the crankcase is plastic but it merely bolts onto the other side making a complete unit.

Sure, except that the MS250 is not a good saw, unless you compare it to a Poulan Wild-Thing, or something like that......:blob2: :blob2: :sucks:

SawTroll, Please don't bad mouth my Wild Thing. It always starts easy and looks Soooo good. I have not tried to cut anything with it but I'm sure it will keep up with my crosscut. :biggrinbounce2:

You guys are just so freaking smart,,,,

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The "BASHER" got his arthrits long before he ever heard the word "Stihl".. hmmm ...that must have been from his old Huskies...;)

Jeopardy smart!!!!! Ehh?? no one ever caught Arthirtis from using any one brand of a saw, you just sort of Inherit it!!!!!!! ,,saw work in general is a good work out it doesn't matter who's brand of AV you purchased,,,,, some just accelerate the onset of their Arthritis through abusing their bodies at faster rates than others,,,,and depending on the amount of their inheritance,,, are just worse off than others!!!!!

Go figure!!!!!

P1010070-1.jpg
:clap:
P1010071.jpg

Last edited:
a dull machette is a much better option than a 250.

Thall,you'll never hear me say a husky 350 is a good saw either.

Well you own a 192 and not many "so called stihl guys" think too highly of that saw ;). So I'm not sure how good your judgement is.

Last edited:
Back