MS250 or 270?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow almost 12 hours without someone saying you had better get a 5100 or a 345xp or why buy such a small saw when you could get the 660 to handle anything you don't cut.

+1, Exactly what I was thinking!

Just a tought though, the Dolmar PS5100S is a true pro saw, will outcut them both, is a tad lighter, and probably not much more money in the US, if at all........
He might have the same problem with Dolmar that a lot of us have...........no dealer support. My one and only Dolmar dealer doesn't even stock the beloved PS5100S, at least he didn't back in March when I wanted to look at one! He stocked a PS510 and a PS7900. The only parts he stocks are a few bars and chains. Everything else (air filters, sprockets you name it) he has to order from his distributor in New Jersey and can get them...............in a few days. All the parts I've ever needed for my Stihl and Husky, my dealer got them out of his parts room/area in two minutes!

He might have the same problem with Dolmar that a lot of us have...........no dealer support. My one and only Dolmar dealer doesn't even stock the beloved PS5100S, at least he didn't back in March when I wanted to look at one! He stocked a PS510 and a PS7900. The only parts he stocks are a few bars and chains. Everything else (air filters, sprockets you name it) he has to order from his distributor in New Jersey and can get them...............in a few days. All the parts I've ever needed for my Stihl and Husky, my dealer got them out of his parts room/area in two minutes!

Yes I know, the closest Dolmar dealer that I know of is 1000 miles away, but when you have several saws that overlap in what they are useful for, you can afford to have a couple with that issue.......:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

If we didn't, I'd probably take the MS280 (with no letters behind!) - they are rated at 2.8kW/3.8hp here - but really too close to the 3.4kW/4,6hp MS361 in weight, if you care.

Last edited:
Yes I know, the closest Dolmar dealer that I know of is 1000 miles away, but when you have several saws that overlap in what they are useful for, you can afford to have a couple with that issue.......:greenchainsaw: :cheers:
You may have "several saws that overlap in what they are useful for", but most people don't, myself included. It seems like Old Geezer is looking for one new saw. If he doesn't have a GOOD Dolmar dealer in his area, in my opinion, he'd be far better off buying one of the Stihl's he's mentioned. ;)

You may have "several saws that overlap in what they are useful for", but most people don't, myself included. It seems like Old Geezer is looking for one new saw. If he doesn't have a GOOD Dolmar dealer in his area, in my opinion, he'd be far better off buying one of the Stihl's he's mentioned. ;)

I agree, and I think I said something to that effect.......:givebeer: :givebeer:

I'm with troll look at the dolmar 5100s:clap:
if you want a stihl and will run a 18" bar the 250 is too small,270 is a good choice the 280 even better.

I only read this part.....

.....I over looked this part, no fault!
If we didn't, I'd probably take the MS280 (with no letters behind!) - they are rated at 2.8kW/3.8hp here - but really too close to the 3.4kW/4,6hp MS361 in weight, if you care.

Stay with your supporting dealer.

The 18 inch bar with a .325 chain is standard out here for the MS250, and we sell boat loads of them. It's more to do with what size you mostly cut... the difference in a 16 or 18 inch bars in 12 inch wood is irrelevant. If it's is mostly 18, you'd definitely want a bigger saw, but if only occassionaly it's fine.

As for the 250: Good saw, but the original question was 270 or 250, and the 270 is better saw, and the 280 better still, and the 260 even better, and the 361 still better... and the ... and the... It never ends, so buy the saw you are most comfortable with from the dealer that can support you.

250 with an 18" wow lot o bar there.
over here in the east if you give a guy a certain bar length they expect the saw to pull a full bar.
I see your point 18" for reach and cut the size wood you should be cutting with a 250.

Last edited:
Just a tought though, the Dolmar PS5100S is a true pro saw, will outcut them both, is a tad lighter, and probably not much more money in the US, if at all........

Not according to Thall!!

I love my 280, nice broad powerband and light weight.

Stay with your supporting dealer.

The 18 inch bar with a .325 chain is standard out here for the MS250, and we sell boat loads of them. It's more to do with what size you mostly cut... the difference in a 16 or 18 inch bars in 12 inch wood is irrelevant. If it's is mostly 18, you'd definitely want a bigger saw, but if only occassionaly it's fine.

As for the 250: Good saw, but the original question was 270 or 250, and the 270 is better saw, and the 280 better still, and the 260 even better, and the 361 still better... and the ... and the... It never ends, so buy the saw you are most comfortable with from the dealer that can support you.

Sure, except that the MS250 is not a good saw, unless you compare it to a Poulan Wild-Thing, or something like that......:blob2: :blob2: :sucks:

Not according to Thall!!

I love my 280, nice broad powerband and light weight.

He is a Stihl dealer that buys Dolmars and Huskys for his personal use, and also my friend, so I won't comment on that.......:chainsawguy: :chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Back