MS250 or 270?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not me either, it simply is not a very good model, and the 230 and 210 are of course even worse.......:deadhorse: :deadhorse:

You are so very wrong... millions of satisfied customers disagree with you... and thousands continue to buy the 210/230/250 every day... oh.. the paper specs - antivibe, power to weight, plastics, but.... reliable as all heck, dealer supported, and .... ah.. forget it.. we've had this arguement before...:buttkick:

Last edited:
You are so very wrong... millions of satisfied customers disagree with you... and thousands continue to buy the 210/230/250 every day... oh.. the paper specs - antivibe, power to weight, plastics, but.... reliable as all heck, dealer supported, and .... ah.. forget it.. we've had this arguement before...:buttkick:
I agree with Lakeside. I've been cutting around 3 face cords of hardwood a year since 1999 with my 021. I also use it at hunting camp for clearing ATV trails and shooting lanes. Most of the time I walk and have to carry all my stuff. I think a saw that weighs a little over 9 1/2 lbs., cost a little under $250, is pretty nimble with a 14" b&c seems just about right for doing this.....

.....I wouldn't piss on a Stihl or a Husky! :greenchainsaw:

since husky coils have spark longer than stihl coils.:popcorn:

The 025 isn't the bad saw that a few select people on here make it out to be. The people that are bashing it have little to no experience with the saw. No its not a pro saw, but it serves its intended purpose quite well imo and is durable as all hell. I know the stihl lineup a lot more than the husky lineup, but I don't go around bashing husky either. If you follow AS for a while you'll notice that when a person is inquiring about what saw they should get, a so called "non pro model" rarely gets recommended.

The 025 isn't the bad saw that a few select people on here make it out to be. The people that are bashing it have little to no experience with the saw. No its not a pro saw, but it serves its intended purpose quite well imo and is durable as all hell. I know the stihl lineup a lot more than the husky lineup, but I don't go around bashing husky either. If you follow AS for a while you'll notice that when a person is inquiring about what saw they should get, a so called "non pro model" rarely gets recommended.

Exactly, somebody gets it. Not like some of the other dips on here.

+1 I'd rep you if I could.

I'd like to see how many people have nonpro tools in their toolbox.

Ah, yes, the 025-250. It is durable. I have cut over 150 full cords of wood with one. No ill effects yet from the vibrations (the basher has arthritis to the point that he is affected). Still cuts strong. Still cuts fast, for it's size.

But the original poster asked if the 270 is better. Yes, original poster, it is.

I live on a small acreage with a lot of mature trees. I don't cut firewood but occasionally I need to trim or remove a tree. I've been using a 16" Poulan for the last ten years and it's time to replace the old girl. I've narrowed my search down to the MS250 and 270. I believe either of these saws would be a huge step up from the saw I'm using now. Does anyone have any experience with either of these saws and which would be a better buy? I'll probably opt for a 18" bar. I've decided my next saw will be a Stihl because I have a really good dealer near by. Thanks

We should all look at what he asked for.Typical bigger is better responces.
You'd probably be shickeled titless with the 250 after all them years with an old Poulon.
They run smooth as silk,though not a big powerhouse by any means.Still plenty of saw for your needs.

And they do last a long time with the proper care.

The 270 is alot stronger saw by comparison and funner to run.But for what your going to use it for the 250 will do just fine.

Best thing to do would be to get your dealer to let you try out both saws in some wood.Just ignore the ones who shoot down the 025/250 saws.I've worked most all of stihls saws and I like my 025.

I'm always fascinated by the extreme views that get stated here. For example, a flat statement that the 250 is "no good". What precisely does that mean?

I have depended on an 025 with an 18" bar for for about 10 years. Have other saws but that has been my utilty saw. Have cut firewood and trapline trail for those years and, carry it on the snogo and in the boat. Cleared the road and the space for the house that I am in. It is a popular saw in the real world and with good reason. It is light and does the job and the price is right. Of course it isn't an 088 or even an 064, but for those of you with big saw envy and small to medium stuff to cut, please note that the 250 does just fine for its intended use. I recently got a 280 for firewood cutting and it is a "better" saw but I still use the 250 for cutting brush and clearing trail and for those uses, I prefer it over the 280.

Sure, except that the MS250 is not a good saw, unless you compare it to a Poulan Wild-Thing, or something like that......:blob2: :blob2: :sucks:

Now now, The 250 is a fabulous saw for the market that it is designed to be sold to.

Compared to ANY OTHER SAW IN ITS CLASS, the 250 is an outstanding product . The only question in my mind would be, how quick I could unload it to a friend and go get another Husky!:biggrinbounce2:

Remember this little gem of info? "IT'S ALL ABOUT USER EXPECTATIONS", I believe someone from Norway said that once or twice!:biggrinbounce2:

Chuck

Sure, except that the MS250 is not a good saw, unless you compare it to a Poulan Wild-Thing, or something like that......:blob2: :blob2: :sucks:

Now Sawtroll its time we disagree. To be honest the 250 is about as trouble free a little saw as any. I work on more 350 Huskies than I do Stihl 250's. Kinda makes me wonder since we sell Stihl why these 350 Huskies keep coming in with screwed up chain breaks, not oiling and mufflers falling off. The 350 Huskie will outcut the 250 and is smoother and thats all. The rest of that saw is EL CHEAPO. Mounting the crank bearings in plastic is cheap as it comes and alot of the small homeowner Huskies are made that way just like the cheap Poolans. They even lack a oil pick up in the oil tank meaning the oil is gravity fed. If you have to reach up and over to saw the chain gets no oil just like the cheap Poolans. If anything should be compared to the Wild Thing or cheap Poolan its the homeowner Husky, not the Stihl.

Back on subject the saw the man should buy is the 280. I own both and the 280 is a helluva nice saw. That saw has one of the neatest power bands, it really opens up pulls under a load. Its smooth, easy to start and built like a Stihl. The 5100 isn't all that much faster in the cut than the 280. I'm sure side by side the 5100 would win but by how much, not a whole lot. One thing is for certain if the man is looking for a saw with the best back up support in the business he needs to go Stihl.

Ok ole feller give me a beer, I'm done disagreeing with you this time, until next time, :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

If anything should be compared to the Wild Thing or cheap Poolan its the homeowner Husky, not the Stihl.

Daaaayyyyuuuummmmm Champ, that was a hard body shot right there.

True nevertheless though.:bang: I'm goin right back to the garage and kick that 142 a few times right in the air filter!;)

Chuck

Daaaayyyyuuuummmmm Champ, that was a hard body shot right there.

True nevertheless though.:bang: I'm goin right back to the garage and kick that 142 a few times right in the air filter!;)

Chuck

Naaaaaaaaa I wouldn't hit my buddy too hard, he and me like to disagree, if we didn't we'd have nothing to say to each other,LOL

Naaaaaaaaa I wouldn't hit my buddy too hard, he and me like to disagree, if we didn't we'd have nothing to say to each other,LOL

here THALL10326,,,, have a coffee on me,,,,, Ive never known you to drink a cool pop?????

Ohhh yeah,, 280 270 I think,,, and you're right about the 250 they are not a bad saw I just think the 280/270 is a tad better designed saw that is lighter and more powerful,,,whats not to like about that????? for 100.00 or so difference

here THALL10326,,,, have a coffee on me,,,,, Ive never known you to drink a cool pop?????

Ohhh yeah,, 280 270 I think,,, and you're right about the 250 they are not a bad saw I just think the 280/270 is a tad better designed saw that is lighter and more powerful,,,whats not to like about that????? for 100.00 or so difference

Folgers, one creamer, one sugar and in a glass, we got a deal,LOL

I never said they were really bad (I think), it is just that there are better options out there........:cheers:

Ah, yes, the 025-250. It is durable. I have cut over 150 full cords of wood with one. No ill effects yet from the vibrations (the basher has arthritis to the point that he is affected). Still cuts strong. Still cuts fast, for it's size.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The "BASHER" got his arthrits long before he ever heard the word "Stihl".. hmmm ...that must have been from his old Huskies...;)

Back