MS261 VS MS261 C-M Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to stop on this the cut some squish bands on a couple of saws Jon is working on......finally back on the C model.

I was glad for the time on the lathe......I got to think on my timing numbers for awhile longer. I don't think I use the same numbers in this saw as I do in the OE. Less exhaust I think.....

Please expound on this thought...

Please expound on this thought...

Well, I was thinking about how gutting the stratos surely increases the intake side of things pretty heavily. Sorta like putting on a bigger carb. That in itself may be allowing us the raise the exhaust in the OE higher than, say a 346xp, and allowing us to get away with it.

I'd rather start out with higher compression, a nearly stock exhaust height, slightly raised and flattened transfer timing, and a lot more intake and strato timing, than we had from the factory.

I'm almost done with the port work.....but still have some work to do on the intake tract.

I may not be making any cuts today.

Well, I was thinking about how gutting the stratos surely increases the intake side of things pretty heavily. Sorta like putting on a bigger carb. That in itself may be allowing us the raise the exhaust in the OE higher than, say a 346xp, and allowing us to get away with it.

I'd rather start out with higher compression, a nearly stock exhaust height, slightly raised and flattened transfer timing, and a lot more intake and strato timing, than we had from the factory.

I'm almost done with the port work.....but still have some work to do on the intake tract.

I may not be making any cuts today.

Knowing the M-Tronic will still be searching for the right RPM?
Not sure what it uses for inputs..:msp_confused:
I'm kinda curious to see how it turns out...

Knowing the M-Tronic will still be searching for the right RPM?
Not sure what it uses for inputs..:msp_confused:
I'm kinda curious to see how it turns out...

I might be thinking wrong........but at least I'm thinking. :msp_thumbup:

I might be thinking wrong........but at least I'm thinking. :msp_thumbup:

I like the track you're on... It's good to try and build on the designer's original intent...
Good torque and low fuel consumption...
If it don't work, you can always try something else...

I like the track you're on... It's good to try and build on the designer's original intent...
Good torque and low fuel consumption...
If it don't work, you can always try something else...

If we can keep the strato ports functional and manage to net a 30% increase I'll be very pleased.

If we can keep the strato ports functional and manage to net a 30% increase I'll be very pleased.

Exactly... As would anyone who wanted to cut a lot of wood. Less trips to the gas can, and good mannered operation.
With a touch of attitude...:rock:

I haven't forgot. Still too much going on. I'm taking a week off the end of the month and maybe I can get that PH to you.

Welp, it's too dark for a video.......but I think we have a runner. :msp_wink:

I just made 6 - 8 cuts in a 10 X 10 and was real happy.

You just described my 441C. Exactly what I'd want in a 261C too.

That's the thing about a work saw... It don't have to be the absolute fastest...
Just fast enough...
It should start well, and idle right...
It should have enough snot to run a size up bar in a pinch...
The throttle response should be crisp, and it should have enough torque to stop and start the chain in the middle of a cut after knocking a couple wedges...
It should have enough speed to move through a leaning tree easily, and run a chain you got the rakers a little too low on...

Oh, and sideways balance is a plus...:msp_wink:

That's the thing about a work saw... It don't have to be the absolute fastest...
Just fast enough...
It should start well, and idle right...
It should have enough snot to run a size up bar in a pinch...
The throttle response should be crisp, and it should have enough torque to stop and start the chain in the middle of a cut after knocking a couple wedges...
It should have enough speed to move through a leaning tree easily, and run a chain you got the rakers a little too low on...

Oh, and sideways balance is a plus...:msp_wink:

Words of wisdom from a guy who's got a couple, along with the assorted Stihls and Huskies. :poke:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back