MS261C-M/double dogs/20" light bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice! I'm surprised it balances so well that with a 20" bar. I just picked up a 261 yesterday and put a 20" Cannon Supermini bar, and Stihl picco ps 3/8 chain. I know you have a light bar, but the cannon is much thinner and the lo-pro chain is lighter.....but when I pick it up its nose still drops quite a bit. It's still a light saw for its power though.
This 20" I think will only be temporary. I have a 16" Cannon toonie tip bar that will be on this saw most often. ...just waiting on the spool of ps 3/8" I ordered so I can make the right size chain.

I was suprised about the balance as well.
I would be interested to know what that cannon bar weighs.

My next buy will probably be a 16" bar. I'm debating going with the Picco. Would have to carry around a second rim sprocket though. I've been running regular 3/8's .050 for all my bar lengths. Makes things pretty easy....

I see you have the new 2016 model.
I tried to by the new one but before I could sign the papers I look over and it was the non M-tronic version. Unfortunately my dealer didn't have an M-tronic in stock....

Haha!! I dig the 661! Little overkill for me, but my 362 will be getting mailed off shortly for some love. Sooo im pretty sure i might have to pick up a new 461 to keep me company while the 362 is at the "dr."

Damn! I've been outgunned!
Your look like they are put to work a lot more then mine is! Only have two tanks through it. I've probably spent more time cleaning it than making sawdust!
I almost picked up a 461 but for some reason the 661 was only $100 more. I think because the 461 was quoted with a wrap handle and a light weight bar compared to a non wrap regular weight ES bar... I still got the wrap handle 661 and picked up a 28 and a 32" light bar a few days after...
I really wanted a 441 but they are unavailable right now? And I guess there's rumors of an M-Tronic 462 coming down the pipe.... Go big or go home.
Wallet couldn't handle an 880 though

Rumor is 442 vs. 462 which makes since considering the 441 was discontinued and the 461 has a very loyal following by loggers and tree services who use them daily. The 461 is the best saw in Stihl's current line up, IMO...they would be silly to replace it.

Rumor is 442 vs. 462 which makes since considering the 441 was discontinued and the 461 has a very loyal following by loggers and tree services who use them daily. The 461 is the best saw in Stihl's current line up, IMO...they would be silly to replace it.

would loggers and arborists embrace an M-tronic 462? I will buy one when it comes out..... if i dont cave and buy a 442....
i have a big hole in my saw line up, 50cc and a 90 cc.... do i want a 70? or a 76cc? hard question to answer..... Most fire departments around here run 461's and every wildland firefighter ive seen carrying a saw has had a 461 atop their shoulder....

I see you have the new 2016 model.
I tried to by the new one but before I could sign the papers I look over and it was the non M-tronic version. Unfortunately my dealer didn't have an M-tronic in stock....
The non-MTronic 261 is two generations old. The MTronic 261C was re-designed and is now a full pound lighter.

The non-MTronic 261 is two generations old. The MTronic 261C was re-designed and is now a full pound lighter.
My local dealer has a 261 with the new style bar cover with a standard carb..... on Monday the next time i'm in there ill take a picture of it...
Wheeeeew I've been drooling over your videos of your 661's. never thought i would ever get to talk to you!!!

i beleive so, in stihls 2015 catalogue the 362 shares the same style clutch cover as the new 261, does that mean the entire thing was redisigned like the 261? im not sure. someone else in the know will chime in im sure

Back