MS441 or 385xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that want to see the type of work that HBRN proudly displays on YouTube, check out the video that he posted over in the Commercial Tree area.

http://www.arboristsite.com/tree-care-videos/175303-2.htm

In the event that he deletes the post, here is the link to YouTube. He apparently uses the name highcountrytimber there and has posted other videos but I did not see any point watching them after viewing his travails in the above video.

[video=youtube_share;lj6_UDobNOY]http://youtu.be/lj6_UDobNOY[/video]

As slow as he was cutting it appears that the chain was out of "tune". You would think that a saw that big would cut rather than stall when dogged in, perhaps his "riders" weren't adjusted correctly. Speaking of riders, someone send that feller a belt so he doesn't lose his britches. :hmm3grin2orange:

HBRN apparently was previously known here as "Superfire". He has posted videos on AS under that name with the same clapped out 460. Anyone know why he switched user names?

Nik, as an aside I think that my Poulan 2000 would have been faster on limbing that tree...

Last edited:
First Tree Falling Video - YouTube

Skip to about the 2min. mark and see what a pro looks like limbing a a tree with a similar set-up.

Edit: HBRN I don't think you chain tuning is awful. Rather your saw handling and dawg usage need some work. Nothing wrong with that, just try not to seem like you are a seasoned vet. The great thing about this place is that you can learn from guys who are better than yourself. If you are able to wade through all the internet expert BS this, and other, forums can really make a difference in your work habits. Whether it be logging, residential tree work, or firewood.

Last edited:
First Tree Falling Video - YouTube

Skip to about the 2min. mark and see what a pro looks like limbing a a tree with a similar set-up.

I wish the trees that I cut were that easy to limb. The stuff I wind up cutting has "limbs" longer than the trunk and almost as big around. (maples, field oaks, locust, etc) You're from Pa you know the trees Im talking about lol

Yes I do openloop LOL. I will say that I would rather "limb" a dropped oak than a spruce any day of the week!

Yes I do openloop LOL. I will say that I would rather "limb" a dropped oak than a spruce any day of the week!

An oak out in the middle of the woods, hell yeah. An oak in the middle of a farmers field, limbing sucks!

I'm sure I speak for others in saying I'd love to see it in action.

If you ever get to Tucson AZ ill be more than happy to let you run it!!!! It was running at 12,200 WOT with a wojo muffler mod Pulling a 28in Bar With plenty of AZZ. Now its at 14,500 WOT And I couldn't even think about slowing it down in a 20 inch stick of some super hard dry oak. If I get a chance ill try to get some vids when we go cut next week.

It all-ways makes me wonder whats with the long bars ?.
In that vid i think a 20'' bar on that 460 would be a lot easier and quicker to use liming and blocking.

In that vid i think a 20'' bar on that 460 would be a lot easier and quicker to use liming and blocking.

It's all about posture. Longer bar = straighter back when limbing and bucking.

If you ever get to Tucson AZ ill be more than happy to let you run it!!!! It was running at 12,200 WOT with a wojo muffler mod Pulling a 28in Bar With plenty of AZZ. Now its at 14,500 WOT And I couldn't even think about slowing it down in a 20 inch stick of some super hard dry oak. If I get a chance ill try to get some vids when we go cut next week.

Sounds fantastic, I'm guessin' that swede is making some respectable HP at those R's.

little #### syndrome maybe :msp_ohmy: :msp_unsure:

Last edited:
Long bars is the only way to save the bender:rock: The only saw bar in my collection shorter then 28" is on my heirloom Pioneer 2074 with a 16" bar and chain. Big bars are the only bars to own. As to video it was a rush job, had to make the area safer for insurance reason.

Long bars is the only way to save the bender:rock: The only saw bar in my collection shorter then 28" is on my heirloom Pioneer 2074 with a 16" bar and chain. Big bars are the only bars to own. As to video it was a rush job, had to make the area safer for insurance reason.

After watching that video I am 100% sure my 365 with it's 20" bar would have had that tree cut up and done in half the time. Maybe faster. Just watching was pure agony for me.

After watching that video I am 100% sure my 365 with it's 20" bar would have had that tree cut up and done in half the time. Maybe faster. Just watching was pure agony for me.
Well it would have been faster if I had the time to grab another saw. The tree was reported to me by the police and I showed up from another job and only had the one saw with me. The owners insurance agent saw it and said I had to get it done that night for public safety . If you have a unlimited fund for saw that is great,I use only two saws do to limited funds. My 051 would have gone thru that tree a lot faster but on step rough ground it is a nightmare to swing the saw with a 3' bar.

Latest posts

Back