Ms441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't we all know the saying about opinions?

If you think a saw is junk before you even use one you are going to think it is junk when you are using it. Everyone should be more optimistic.

Sure, but it doesn't make the 441 lighter or more nimble - it may be a goodie when it becomes a 461, but not before.....:greenchainsaw:

Maybe you should try a 28" then. Mine had no problem with this 60" ash. Even pulled full comp just fine. I got 9 cords of firewood out of that tree. Most of it cut with an underpowered, heavy, turd of a saw....
attachment.php

Hmm, dust only - no real chips - no wonder it took a long time.....:givebeer:

Hmm, dust only - no real chips - no wonder it took a long time.....:givebeer:

I figured that would get a response. That shows how dry and hard that tree was. I was using a brand new Stihl square chain. I don't miss cutting that tree at all. It was brutal on chains. No chips at all until cross cutting.

:cheers:

I figured that would get a response. That shows how dry and hard that tree was. I was using a brand new Stihl square chain. I don't miss cutting that tree at all. It was brutal on chains. No chips at all until cross cutting.

:cheers:

The ash we have here (I think its green ash) tends to cut that way. Its not the chain, its just how that ash cuts. Good firewood though!

The ash we have here (I think its green ash) tends to cut that way. Its not the chain, its just how that ash cuts. Good firewood though!

That's white ash there. It's normally a bit easier to cut, especially when green. We've got some green ash here too and it is a real bear to cut and split. Normally rot out over 2 ft. from I've seen.

well ST, i went and picked up a 361, i'll try it out tomorrow with the 2159 ehp, who knows i might like it-or it'll be on ebay sat. night. i've heard some good things about the 441 from a friend of mine who's an urban logger, he's using it a lot more than the 361 now.

361 and 441, presumably the same scenario as the 036 and 044 I'm used to when thinning pine forests, the 60cc ain't ever gonna match the 70cc on big stuff, end of story, but the 60cc stihl being lighter, nimbler and easier on gas, really shines on long days in steep, rough terrain (as you'd expect) and truth being the 60cc stihl is no slower on felling than the 70cc stihl on trees, say, 14" - 18" diameter, over that the 60cc is gasping on the limit whereas the 70cc is still quite comfortable, talking 18" maximum bar for the 60cc and 20" for the 70cc which'll give the best from either saw

Back