MS460 group

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys the apprentice needs a little help here. How do you cut the tree so you can drop it anyway except the way its leaning say so you didn't hang the tree up on another. Any advice would be appreciated because I had the situation happen to me yesterday on a big poplar and I didn't know what to do, so I kinda winged it and got it down but not where I wanted it.:chainsaw:

wedges pateince and strong back

wedgez

a couple wedges in thy pocket is smart. pnw saying

i always try to wedge any cut with a slim chance to bind or pinch. let me say that when my chain saw bar is over 100 saw chips to replace i am going to try my damdedest not to ruin it. also if you go to the expence of buying a 600++ saw chip saw you had better take care of it. we all fall into the "got to get it done now camp" once and a while.
wedges are cheaps bar are exspensive to repair or replace.

:givebeer:

a couple wedges in thy pocket is smart. pnw saying

i always try to wedge any cut with a slim chance to bind or pinch. let me say that when my chain saw bar is over 100 saw chips to replace i am going to try my damdedest not to ruin it. also if you go to the expence of buying a 600++ saw chip saw you had better take care of it. we all fall into the "got to get it done now camp" once and a while.
wedges are cheaps bar are exspensive to repair or replace.

:givebeer:

well said

Problems with a newer 046

I got an 046 with just 4 tanks of gas through it.

Showed 160 compression cold.
(Saw may have set for years with the same gas in it. Gas was dumped immediately.)

Looked sweet but I'm having problems.

The saw is running Lo/Hi jets winding out and back down.

Fuel has been replaced with non-ethanol 50 to 1 Stihl mix.
New after market Baileys Gas filter.
Super clean air filter.
New plug.
Stihl modded 2nd vent muffler front added.
Saw has an intelli -wbafdhtser carb that only allows 3/4 turn adjustment. This has been adjusted a lot with no success.
Carb has been inspected internally and diaphram looks very good.

Plug is fairly white upon inspection.
(Saw Not being run on any projects for now - of course)

---------

Problem does not start when gas tank is partially empty - which would indicate a hole in the gas tank portion of the gas line.

A hole in the gasline from the tank to the carb is possible. Saw was so new that seems unlikely.

-----------

I actually hate ( more than distrust ) the intelli-carbs.

If I were to check out the gas line - would trading that thing out be an idea?

Are they subject to this type of problem?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Super clean air filter.
New plug.
Saw has an intelli -wbafdhtser carb that only allows 3/4 turn adjustment. This has been adjusted a lot with no success.

---------

Problem does not start when gas tank is partially empty - which would indicate a hole in the gas tank portion of the gas line.

A hole in the gasline from the tank to the carb is possible. Saw was so new that seems unlikely.

-----------

Thanks for any help.

046 the gas line sure could be dryed rotted

(Saw may have set for years with the same gas in it. Gas was dumped immediately.)

Super clean air filter.
New plug.

---------

-----------

Thanks for any help.

As mentioned, the fuel line should be replaced, even more so since it sat with old fuel for years.

The carb is a well proven design, get the limiter caps out and retune.

Could someone explain to me what the advantages are for running different teeth counts on the front of the bar sprocket. Everybody talks about it but I don't understand the method to the madness. THNX

Steve
:dizzy:

The more teeth, the faster chain speed you will have. Adding teeth is usually done with ported saws that have the added power to pull the chain faster. Adding more teeth to a stock saw could make it preform poorly and damage the saw by overheating the p&c. Most of the Stihl pro saws do well with 7 tooth rims, ported for work they can use 8s. Some hotsaws and piped race saws use 9+ teeth but have much more power than stock. Some of the smaller saws that run the small chains, can use a 8 but they are not removing as big of a chip as a bigger chassis chain would. A stock 026/260 with the .325 chain and a 16"-18" bar can pull the 8s fine, step up to the common 3/8 chain and a 7 is better. Bar lenght and chain combinatons work in relation to their rim's tooth count.

046 education for myself thanks to AS guys

"046 the gas line sure could be dryed rotted"

=============

"As mentioned, the fuel line should be replaced, even more so since it sat with old fuel for years.

The carb is a well proven design, get the limiter caps out and retune."

+++++++++++++

Thanks guys.

I haven't been around a saw sitting for Years unrun and the rotting aspect didn't occur to me. I was thinking other forms of abuse and found it hard to fathom a fuel line defect.
This is probably a 90% plus analysis.

How hard is it to change out an 046 fuel line?
Is it a two piece, one inside the tank and one outside?
Is is a motor mount level disassembly or easier?
Suggested part(s)?

Again, thanks for the help 2000ssm6 and smokinj.

Thanks Thanks Thanks Thanks

Quick follow up on the 046

Turns out my problem was with the intake manifold.
{the gas line was in primo condition)

Stihl part # 1128 141 6769

This is the rubber thingy that goes from the carb to the cylinder;

============

A better description would have been the saw went out of tune when moved.

With the softer motor mounts today that created some flexing and the hole in the manifold would open up.

---------------

For the good of the order:

If you have a saw that seems OK until it is moved.

Consider that there may be a crack in the rubber between the carb and cylinder.

Last edited:
I will give this post a bump. I just picked up a MS 460 a week ago. That thing is AWESOME!!!! So I am in!!!

I picked up a used 460 Mag in great shape awhile back, and had my first chance to dance with her for any length of time yesterday. Put two tanks through her running a 28-inch bar with 3/8 full comp chain. Cutting black ash and birch for firewood.

It had been years since I worked for a tree service and ran a saw with that much power. Nice not to have to bend over as far to cut as with the 16-inch bars on the 028 and 026, too. Now, let's see, keep the 460 (28 inch) and 026 (16-inch), sell the 028s and pick up an 038 Mag in excellent condition and put a 20 inch bar on it.

Yeah, that's it. Yeah! :D :D

my 460 and my boy

attachment.php
it has the dp muffler on her 25in bar and it runs great i couldnt be happier my boy is a good helper to

Today was the first time I got to put my MS460 through its paces. I took down a couple of 20" ash and a good size pine, it cuts faster than anything I have cut with. It is still stock and I am very pleased with it... I can't wait to sink it into some big stuff.:)

Here is my 460 which was one of 5 “part saws” I got on fleabay a while ago. To my surprise it turned out that the saws all run (some needed a bit of assembly) and the 460 is almost new with a few scratches.... not bad for a $100 per saw lol

Heres a pic with the 460 on the right.

attachment.php

if anyone is selling a ms460 or 046 in good condition thats my next saw please pm me

Latest posts

Back