MS460 group

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats up folks? HAven't been on in a while, times are tough and had to shut off the internet. I did score another 046 with a 28" B&C for 100 bucks, and a running 017 for 20 bucks. Put a new cylinder gasket, fuel and impulse line and filter, and a missing head bolt, and now all is good. glad i got to it before it got scored. All it needs is a little spit shine and a brake handle. The 017 gets a new air filter and choke rod and its good to go.maybe i'll get to check back in soon.

my 460 keeps jamming in the cut as soon as the bottom of one of the felling dogs hits the wood. if i cut midway up the bar it cuts fine but as soon as you jam the dogs into the tree it binds in the cut. sharpened chain on my grinder and still did the same thing. carb is adjusted good and I have a modded muffler so its got power. i'm running an 18" bar, I would appreciate any help i'm pretty green when it comes to cutting trees still learning the basics.

bent bar or bent dogs? take the bar aoff and set it on a table and see if it is straight. have you deburred the edges of the bar?

I'm in.

1yr old, still stock, time to mod....but how far to go???? Hmmm....

Been playing with the 260 for a little practice, and now there's an itch that has to be scratched with the 460.

GD this AS site....

:givebeer:

Even if you just do a MM you'll ####! Was not to happy or impressed with mine til I opened it up. Tear into it!

thx for the advice

thats one thing i never checked was the bar, now that you mention it could very well be bent removing a jammed saw probably isn't the best thing for the bar. I'll take the bar off and give her a good deburring and check to make sure its straight. This might sound dumb but what is the best way to free your saw when it gets stuck in the wood without bending the bar all to hell like i think i might have done?

Appreciate your help!

Stevo

Oh yippie! I am in a club. :clap: Yup, me got's one. It's got a dual port muffler, but when it comes time to rebuild it I'm gonna port it, spit some Skoal on the chain and let it rip.

So what is the popular opinion on running an 8 pin sprocket on a 460? My 044 has a 7, my 460 has an 8 on it now. I'm planning on either 28" or 32" bar for the 460, maybe as small as a 25". The 044 with the 7 pin and 28" full skip is a cuttin' fool, will the 460 be able to pull full skip 28" with the 8 pin okay?

thats one thing i never checked was the bar, now that you mention it could very well be bent removing a jammed saw probably isn't the best thing for the bar. I'll take the bar off and give her a good deburring and check to make sure its straight. This might sound dumb but what is the best way to free your saw when it gets stuck in the wood without bending the bar all to hell like i think i might have done?

Appreciate your help!

Stevo

no problem i use wedges but sometimes that wont work then you have to cut it out

cyard,for me it is borderline to run an 8 pin i have no motor mods,and it takes away from my stumping torque quite a bit in bigger trees,but man for limbing and felling smaller stuff i dont think you will have any trouble...just keep it on the pipe,oh and i run a 28 w skip

Last edited:
cyard,for me it is borderline to run an 8 pin i have no motor mods,and it takes away from my stumping torque quite a bit in bigger trees,but man for limbing and felling smaller stuff i dont think you will have any trouble...just keep it on the pipe,oh and i run a 28 w skip

So I might be better off throwing my spare 7 pin on it? I bought the saw as a parts saw- needs an oiler and handlebar to be a cutting saw and I've started it but not run it in wood yet so I have no idea how it will perform. I was going to park the 044 for a while and rob the 28" full skip bar and chain for the 460 to see how it does.

i like the 8 soully for chainspeed,but i must adapt my filing accordingly,i run a 28 because i am tall,guess i just got used to 28s and i do run accross the occasional 4 footer,bought that maxflow air kit and i really think it helps the saw stay in higher rpms when filter is clean,but it is high maintenance

i like the 8 soully for chainspeed,but i must adapt my filing accordingly,i run a 28 because i am tall,guess i just got used to 28s and i do run accross the occasional 4 footer,bought that maxflow air kit and i really think it helps the saw stay in higher rpms when filter is clean,but it is high maintenance

Thanks bullbuck. My 460 (at least as far as I know) is stock- no dual port, no porting. I think once I get the parts needed to make it a working saw, I'll carry both the 7 and 8 pin with me and try cutting similar trees with each sprocket to see how it performs. With 28" full skip I think the 8 pin will be fine:cheers:

felling a tree in the opposite direction to its lean

hey guys the apprentice needs a little help here. How do you cut the tree so you can drop it anyway except the way its leaning say so you didn't hang the tree up on another. Any advice would be appreciated because I had the situation happen to me yesterday on a big poplar and I didn't know what to do, so I kinda winged it and got it down but not where I wanted it.:chainsaw:

hey guys the apprentice needs a little help here. How do you cut the tree so you can drop it anyway except the way its leaning say so you didn't hang the tree up on another. Any advice would be appreciated because I had the situation happen to me yesterday on a big poplar and I didn't know what to do, so I kinda winged it and got it down but not where I wanted it.:chainsaw:

Dude,that avatar...........................................oh,nevermind:censored:

chain sprocket teeth

Could someone explain to me what the advantages are for running different teeth counts on the front of the bar sprocket. Everybody talks about it but I don't understand the method to the madness. THNX

Steve
:dizzy:

Back