MS460 group

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
36" bar

just modded a brand new $5.00 dollar large mount husky 36" to fit my 460. i had to drop a dozen hazard trees yesterday. some of the trees were 32" to 42" dbh. the 460 just laugh at these trees. the only tree that was :censored::chainsaw: was solid petrified pitch:givebeer: the 460 is in my humble opinion one of the best models of Stihl. my dealer said that the 460 has better power band for longer bars then the 441. i run 32" bars and full skip as a standard set up for my use. the funny thing about the 36" bar is the weight seems less then the 32" bar:confused: just love the 460 series hope to get another one. my saw is my primary all purpose saw,it does limbing and falling and bucking so haveing a saw with a mid power band is important.

:givebeer:

just modded a brand new $5.00 dollar large mount husky 36" to fit my 460. i had to drop a dozen hazard trees yesterday. some of the trees were 32" to 42" dbh. the 460 just laugh at these trees. the only tree that was :censored::chainsaw: was solid petrified pitch:givebeer: the 460 is in my humble opinion one of the best models of Stihl. my dealer said that the 460 has better power band for longer bars then the 441. i run 32" bars and full skip as a standard set up for my use. the funny thing about the 36" bar is the weight seems less then the 32" bar:confused: just love the 460 series hope to get another one. my saw is my primary all purpose saw,it does limbing and falling and bucking so haveing a saw with a mid power band is important.

:givebeer:

I approve this post.
I'm not running for Congress, becuase I Have morals!
And a Mistress!

After using a buddies 460 w/ 25" bar for a while, I just bought a new one w/ 28" bar on it and she's a beast. Not quite balanced as well as a 25" bar, but the 28" gives you a little extra reach when you need it.

I gotta sat the 460 is my go to saw and if it don't "cut" it then its big brother comes out.

p.s. Wish I had a mistress but the wife won't let me!

After using a buddies 460 w/ 25" bar for a while, I just bought a new one w/ 28" bar on it and she's a beast. Not quite balanced as well as a 25" bar, but the 28" gives you a little extra reach when you need it.

Yah, the 28" is a little front heavy, looking to do the same, get a 25"...anybody running the Oregon, Windsor lightweight bars on a 460?

:rock:

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=130815&stc=1&d=1269567865
attachment.php

Just took off the 28-inch Forester Pro Series bar and put on the 25-inch Rollomatic ES bar today. I like this balance a lot better. For day-to-day cutting from now on, it'll be the 25, with the 28 (and eventually probably a 32 with skip chain) sitting as backup for bigger wood. But in my part of the country, there's pretty much nothing a 25-inch bar can't handle, especially when it's attached to a 460. :D

I joined today with the addition of a s/h Ms460. It is a little rough but came with 2 bars and 6 nearly new chains. It started well and ran like a beauty.
Imagine my disappointment when I pulled the muffler and spied a scored piston. Oh dear - another rebuild job.:)

Nardoo

Greetings

Finally, I manage to get a 460 as well. Not an excellent outside shape, but it starts always at the first pull.

img0519uf.jpg

img0517sy.jpg

Sandvik bar 50 cm

New 460!

Here's my brand new MS460 I picked up 2 weeks ago, about 3 tanks of gas through it so far.

Wearing a 28" Oregon RW bar with full-skip square chisel in the pic.

I think I need to order the HO pump though, my bar seems to get way too hot when it's buried in pine like this. Didn't expect to be burying the bar this much, but it's 3 blowdowns on my property that were all ~28" DBH :chainsaw:

Gonna order the large inner/outer dogs and DP muffler this week, still on the fence about the PNW cover.

Love the site, already learned so much here

Thanks guys!

attachment.php

Here's my brand new MS460 I picked up 2 weeks ago, about 3 tanks of gas through it so far.

I think I need to order the HO pump though, my bar seems to get way too hot when it's buried in pine like this. Didn't expect to be burying the bar this much, but it's 3 blowdowns on my property that were all ~28" DBH :chainsaw:

Gonna order the large inner/outer dogs and DP muffler this week, still on the fence about the PNW cover.

Thanks guys!

attachment.php

Nice score. Once broken in, that'll handle a full comp chain on the 28-inch bar no problem. Mine did that fine even before I had it ported.

Also, on the oiler, make sure it's maxed out on the longer bars. It's adjustable. There's a small screw set in underneath the saw below the oiler. Clockwise maxes it out. My dealer says it should be able pump enough oil to go through a full tank of bar lube per tank of gas. Mine won't quite reach that, but it's close.

You'll want to be alert for the need to retune the saw after getting the DP cover (it may need a bit of richening on the H screw).

Probably you already knew all that, but maybe not. :)

Last edited:

Thanks guys!

attachment.php
Nice setup. I also had to the get the HO pump. I have the 28" Stihl ES bar, it got hot as heck with the stock oiler maxed out. Infact it would use about 1/2-2/3 tank oil to one tank fuel. My saw also has the DP cover, larger spikes, and long clutch cover.

No problems with the bar getting too hot so far with mine, 28" bar, RSC chain, but maybe I'm missing something here...

Back