ms460 most powerful chainsaw ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a muffler modded stihl 026 and a 361, You would have to have the 361 chain on backwards to think the ms260 is faster than a ms361. I also had a husky 359 and it was not a strong saw for its size IMO.

I have a muffler modded stihl 026 and a 361, You would have to have the 361 chain on backwards to think the ms260 is faster than a ms361. I also had a husky 359 and it was not a strong saw for its size IMO.

When the 361 hit the market here a rep from Stihl Canada was going around to the dealers showing the 361 off. He had a stand setup with wood and was challenging Husky guys to run their 357s against it. He said the 361 could not be beat by a saw under 60cc. My 357 was in the woods but I had 2-260's on my truck. Race was 3 cuts, and I beat him with both saws. He went in a got a second 361 (new) and he was still on his second cut when I finished. He then ran my 260's and could not believe how strong they were. He is a nice guy, we get together for a chat now whenever he is down this.

When the 361 hit the market here a rep from Stihl Canada was going around to the dealers showing the 361 off. He had a stand setup with wood and was challenging Husky guys to run their 357s against it. He said the 361 could not be beat by a saw under 60cc. My 357 was in the woods but I had 2-260's on my truck. Race was 3 cuts, and I beat him with both saws. He went in a got a second 361 (new) and he was still on his second cut when I finished. He then ran my 260's and could not believe how strong they were. He is a nice guy, we get together for a chat now whenever he is down this.

I love both of the saws mentioned but unless the wood is 5", I don't think a muff mod 260 will "out run" a stock 361.

Most of the big saws on E-bay go for unrealistic prices. I have seen some stuff on ebay for more than what your could buy new for. Of course there are good deals to be had, but they are rare in my opinion.

Except in reality. They certainly don't 'win' in the forests. Fact is that worldwide, most people who's paychecks depend on their saws use Stihl.

If you can't lean on a 372 with a 20" bar then I can't imagine how bad it must be with a 28" bar buried.:confused:

I guess Michigan is not part of the world wide spectrum.
I wonder what the loggers around here are bringing home if it is not a pay check. Most people around here use Husky.

If I liked the 361 after the muffler mod do you think I would have sold it?

In stock form my muffler mod 260 was slightly stronger. I have had 3 stock 361's and here a 359 is much stronger.

This is extremely odd, but you have stated several times that your climate is unusual, I believe, and the relative performance of some saws are odd - so I put it into that account......

Otherwise it is :monkey: :monkey:

Normally the 361 is a very good saw, and the 359 a dud......

Last edited:
I guess Michigan is not part of the world wide spectrum.
I wonder what the loggers around here are bringing home if it is not a pay check. Most people around here use Husky.

That's why I said 'most'. Go to the PNW and I bet you can count the number of loggers using anything other than Stihl on one hand.

Seriously though. Here in town most of the tree services use Husky because until recently we had an excellent dealer. The closest Stihl is terrible.

Mine already does and it runs very well!!!!!

Actually it did before it was modded!!!!!

I have had no complaints about my euro 361 stock, actually I don't feel like I need a modded muffler at all - but it will be fun to try one.

It was at 14280 rpms the first time I put a tach to it, and screaming, but it ran even better in the wood when I put it down to 14080.

Latest posts

Back