NE 346XP for limbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Is the Husqvarna NE 346XP all the saw I have read and heard it to be?I am still looking for a good limbing saw and small stuff up to 7" to 8".I am leaning towards the 346 for it's speed and power to weight ratio.The dealer by me has one with a non cat muffler that I want.Will I be disapointed if I get it?

You most certainly will not be disappointed. All the hype is well deserved. Had mine out today straightening up the wood pile since it was cool this morning. Just a really fun saw to use that will hold its value.

Is the Husqvarna NE 346XP all the saw I have read and heard it to be?I am still looking for a good limbing saw and small stuff up to 7" to 8".I am leaning towards the 346 for it's speed and power to weight ratio.The dealer by me has one with a non cat muffler that I want.Will I be disapointed if I get it?

:popcorn:

Woody,

If you are dissapointed, I'll pay for your psychotherapy.:D

The 346 is nothing but 12lbs of explosive snotty attitude, and has enough grunt to be a good GP firewood saw.

Don't limit it to 7-8" stuff as it cuts plenty fast in 12-14" stuff and can be pressed with a 20" bar without too much fuss.

Toss a 16" bar on it and run RSC or bailys .325 for a complete gigglefest.

There are rumors of other saws bieng as fast or lighter, but none have the whole package like the 346 does, and even the most avid stihlhead will admit the thing is worthy of the rep it has.

Nikko probably has posted while I have been typing this...:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You most certainly will not be disappointed. All the hype is well deserved. ......

:agree2:

.....I am still looking for a good limbing saw and small stuff up to 7" to 8".I am leaning towards the 346 for it's speed and power to weight ratio.The dealer by me has one with a non cat muffler that I want.Will I be disapointed if I get it?

You will surely not regret getting a 346xp for limbing, and it can do a lot more than you seem to ask of it....... :clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:
IMHO The 346NE is the best 50cc saw out there. Wether limbing or bucking up firewood it's just an absolute pleasure to run. I traded my 260pro in for one and have no regrets. It's so well balanced, extremely smooth and has a screamer for a motor. The total package!!!!

IMHO The 346NE is the best 50cc saw out there. Wether limbing or bucking up firewood it's just an absolute pleasure to run. I traded my 260pro in for one and have no regrets. It's so well balanced, extremely smooth and has a screamer for a motor. The total package!!!!

:agree2:

I'd love to compare them side by side. But the P 5000 hasn't been made for, what, 20 years.

It and the Jonnyred 510/520, were the first of the really light 3 cube saws.

They were great saws, in their day, but the 346 is the best of the current 50 cc saws.....it is a tad heavier than some of the others.

I am still not sold on a 346 yet.The price of one is so high and close to the price of a 361 though I do not want or need one.I have to grab on to one see if it is right for me.If I get one it will be ported in a year or less:jawdrop:

I am still not sold on a 346 yet.The price of one is so high and close to the price of a 361 though I do not want or need one.I have to grab on to one see if it is right for me.If I get one it will be ported in a year or less:jawdrop:

It cost more than the MS361 here, but in the US the picture usually is different.

I was in the same boat 5 or 6 weeks back, it is a fine saw but I didn't want to spend that much money initially so I ordered a 260. Long story short, the price gap was narrowed and I brought a 346XP home instead because the saw shop didn't have the 260. It still isn't broken in yet but is starting to loosen up. Running an 18" with Woodland Pro RC (I think) chain and am enjoying it but I know what you mean about the price. I don't have much to compare to, but no question it is a excellent saw that is fun to use.

Last edited:
+1 on the 346XP

For your stated application it'll be tough to find a better choice.
The 5100 is no sloutch either in fact it probably has a bit more power, however for limbing it is nowhere near as nibble handling as the 346XP NE.

Take Care

From what I have read and heard I don't know if the NE 346XP would do the job I want it to do.Maybe a Dolmar 5100 or Stihl 260.

The 260 is the lightest and the 5100 has the most power out of all 3. For a dedicated limber, the 260 or 346 would be fine. Limbing and bucking the 5100. The 361 is a better all around one saw, light enough to limb with but strong enough to buck 20" wood.

The 260 is the lightest and the 5100 has the most power out of all 3. For a dedicated limber, the 260 or 346 would be fine. Limbing and bucking the 5100. The 361 is a better all around one saw, light enough to limb with but strong enough to buck 20" wood.

Who on here uses just one saw. lol

Who on here uses just one saw. lol

Not me! When one saw decides it's had enough for the day, I go grab the next one, and so on! :laugh:

Today being an example.....went through two Macs that had fuel issues :( and then ended up with the 385. It has never let me down. It's only problem is it runs out of fuel and bar oil. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back