Need 30cc saw for packing???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuleyJ

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am looking for a LIGHTWEIGHT saw(less than 9lb pho) for packing. I am using it to maintain about 16 miles of fence so mostly cutting stays(2-4" dia.)
and the occasional larger fallen tree. I have a ms361 for the sections of pole fence but have problems packing this thing more than a mile or so with all the other fencing equip(steep high elev terrain). I thought I would just go get the ms180 but decided to log on and read through some other threads and I am, as usual, more confused than when I started. I have looked at the echo 306 and 346, ms170, 180 and 192. I also looked into the Dolmar/Mak dcs401 but I have not found as much on here? I also looked through the huskys but almost everything was over 10# except for their new 339 but it seems to be fairly pricey compared to the other saws. Would like to stay $300 or under as I will only be using the saw maybee 15 days a year and I use the 361 for everything else. I would rather not have a top handle saw either. Please help unconfuse me?? Thanks:dizzy:

Echo CS346. Buy it, toss the Intenz bar and pull the muffler screen (or open the the muffler outlet a good bit and keep the screen). Add back a standard tensioner screw setup ($7) and a good bar with real chain on it. You'll be set - easy on fuel, powerful enough to do a good bit of cutting, and super light. Total investment: $200 when you sell your new, unused Intenz bar to some chucklehead on eBay.

Know where to get one for that money? can't find one on ebay right now except used and thats not really for me. Not off ebay anyway

Get the Makita/Dolmar DCS401. It's lighter and better built then a MS170/180. I'd toss my MS180 way before I'd toss my DCS401.

Cannot coment on the other saws mentioned but for the same reason you are looking I picked up a ms 170, backpack with a very little fuel and oil and a chain and wrench fencing tools etc. and I'm good for a lot of lease pasture hiking. Not too much of your elevation issues but alot of muskeg and beaver floods. Is there something better? maybe, but this one works well for me.

the 018c i got last year has held up very nicely and the quick adjust is a bonus in my book as i use it for less than 8 inch cutting and with the picco micro .43 guage bar and chain it is as light as a feather and uses very little mix and oil for alot of sappling and or limbs done. just my .02 worth

Echo CS346. Buy it, toss the Intenz bar and pull the muffler screen (or open the the muffler outlet a good bit and keep the screen). Add back a standard tensioner screw setup ($7) and a good bar with real chain on it. You'll be set - easy on fuel, powerful enough to do a good bit of cutting, and super light. Total investment: $200 when you sell your new, unused Intenz bar to some chucklehead on eBay.

Yes, and it is a pound lighter than the MS170.

Yes and it is a pound lighter, anybody know where to find one for these types of prices??? I did find a Mak dcs401 for around $235 shipped that is the same weight as the ms180 but has 0.3 hp more? The gentelman said that he would give up his 180 before his 401. Whats the quality of this 401? vs the cs346?? anyone have both?

I passed on the Dolmar 5100 in favor of my ms361 last year in this position is the 401 as quality as the 5100?

Cannot coment on the other saws mentioned but for the same reason you are looking I picked up a ms 170, backpack with a very little fuel and oil and a chain and wrench fencing tools etc. and I'm good for a lot of lease pasture hiking. Not too much of your elevation issues but alot of muskeg and beaver floods. Is there something better? maybe, but this one works well for me.

His saw rules! I'd listen to him... Oh yeah , Buy STIHL !

I traded for a MS180 yesterday, put four tanks of fuel through
it today. I'm cutting Eastern Red Ceder sprouts, 1/2 to 6" dia.
that are about 2' to 3' apart. Even my MS260 gets hard on my
back when all the cutting is at ground level, 180 is two pounds
lighter, makes a big diff, minus those two pounds.

So far I'm very pleased with the MS180

Get yourself a saddle horse and a mule. Then you can pack a manly saw. :biggrinbounce2:

I see, spend $400 on saddle and $1600 on mule so you can pack an $800 saw. You are absolutely right, what was I thinkin anyway, jees $300 for a lightweight saw lol. :deadhorse:

About the time you think there wont be a lot of work maintaining a trial, the biggest tree there was, falls in it,,,,bring the 361 and be-stylin bringing it.

attachment.php

Get yourself a saddle horse and a mule. Then you can pack a manly saw. :biggrinbounce2:

Just to drag everything down, we used to have a few horses some packed gear on these fencing trips until we were wadding through a nice beaver flood he reared up to get out of the mud a bit fell sideways and skewered himself on a nice beaver stump. Now that all the horse lovers are sad back to saws.

Stuff happens. I work for a horse logging outfit and I work cattle horseback so I always think horses as tools. Nothin better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse.

Just to drag everything down, we used to have a few horses some packed gear on these fencing trips until we were wadding through a nice beaver flood he reared up to get out of the mud a bit fell sideways and skewered himself on a nice beaver stump. Now that all the horse lovers are sad back to saws.

not to get anyone worked up but in my experience but with horses or mules it takes twice as much money and twice as much time to get half as much done, at least as far as the fencing part goes. Although some of you guys probably have some stuff figured out that I don't yet. I did pack the 361 about 3.5 miles just the other day and It was not that fun. Not that bad for short distances though and very nice to have in the hairy spots, that's why I need two saws right? Or is it three??

Last edited:
Muley to ask the obvious but what about a handsaw and an axe. 16 miles of fence is a heck of a workout. What is inside the fence?

about 4 miles pole fence, and the rest 4 barb laydown which unfortunately requires a lot more stays than normal fence, lot of axe or handsaw work. No they are not cape buffalo just about 1000 head of cattle on forrest permit.

Back